PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Finalists interview

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:29 AM
GISELLA DULKO and ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA defeated SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA and MATEA MEZAK 6-2 5-7 6-4

Q. How did you get together as a team?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: By email.

GISELLA DULKO: She asked me by email, and at the beginning I didn't know, because maybe I played with American girl, but, well, finally we play together. We were lucky.

Q. Why did you ask her? Why did you choose her as a partner?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: I choose Gisella because she is a good player in Doubles, and I don't know who else is playing in Australian Open Juniors.

GISELLA DULKO: She doesn't have another chance.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Because sometimes we're chatting on Internet.

GISELLA DULKO: We keep in touch on Internet.

Q. What do you think makes you such a good team?

GISELLA DULKO: I don't know. We try to go to the net all the time.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Yes, we try to play aggressive.

GISELLA DULKO: It has worked in the tournament, we are playing good together.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: We never played together before.

Q. How did this compare to your success in Wimbledon?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: It's good for me, I think, but in Singles in Australian Open I'm doing not too good in Singles, but it's okay because I did okay in Doubles, so I think I'm still happy, because this is a Grand Slam, so it's okay.

Q. I don't know if you have already answered this, but do you think you might see a boom in Asian tennis?

A. Speak slowly, slowly - don't do that.

Q. Maybe you've already answered this, but do you think we are going to see a boom, more popularity, in Asia with tennis? More Asian players?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Because I win, so more players in Asia, do you mean?

Q. Yes?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Yes, because now in Asia after me, and then no more players. I ask the Thailand players also, they say no more player in junior in Indonesia also, so the situation in Indonesia is headaches about that. So I hope because I win Wimbledon and then here also, so a lot of players in Asia like tennis, because now it's like in Indonesia.

GISELLA DULKO: They don't play too much tennis.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Yes, they don't want to play tennis. I don't know why.

Q. Why do you think that is?

A. I hope from this time, I want all the people will like tennis.

Q. Which one of you chooses what clothes to wear each match?

GISELLA DULKO: The day before play we choose. We have the same contract with Nike, so it's easy for us.

Q. Will you play together again at the other Grand Slams?

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Yes.

GISELLA DULKO: Yes. We won.

Q. Ask her now so you don't have to email.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: We spoke about that before we win the tournament, when we played the first round.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: We will play in Wimbledon in Grand Slam.

Q. Did you decide that by talking or by email?

GISELLA DULKO: Yes.

ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA: Because I think we hardly see each other.

GISELLA DULKO: Just in tournaments, so we are keeping that with email.

GISELLA DULKO and ANGELIQUE WIDJAJA defeated SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA and METEA MEZAK 6-2 5-7 6-4

Q. Svetlana, what do you think about the match today, and the fact that Matea hasn't won a title in her third attempt?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Nothing. When we came on the match; we wouldn't so concentrate. I don't know. We afraid. I don't know what happened. We just didn't play, both of us, we didn't play first set. Second set, we start to lose. It was 7-5. And the third set we haven't play; but we have to do. We couldn't play much better. But, like Matea, we never win Grand Slam. We will win one, I'm sure.

Q. Do you have plans to play other tournaments?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I don't know if we would come to some other tournaments. We don't know if we would come to some Juniors as well. I don't know if we will play, both of us.

Q. You do not have plans to play junior Grand Slams any more?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Maybe some Grand Slams. I'm not certain. Hopefully.

Q. Svetlana, what has your father been doing lately?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: My father?

Q. Yes.

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: He's coach, like is coach. And mother, she was a professional cyclist. My brother is cyclist. With me, he does play.
- - -

Steveg
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Thanks for posting this interview TBE. I hope though that Angie will have good singles results too.

It is worrying to hear that Angie does not see any future Asian potential. At least South East Asian... I hope there will be some to come.

SM
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Oh poor Matea and Angie(in singles).....hope their fortunes both turn around soon