PDA

View Full Version : Can I be sad for Safin and joyous for Johansson?

the cat
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Well I am. Marat Safin is my favorite men's tennis player. So I am very dissapointed he lost. But before the Russians, my favorite group of players was the Swedes. And no Swede had won a grand slam singles title since Stefan Edberg won the 1992 U.S. Open. But Thomas Johansson showed everyone that Swedish tennis is still alive. And Thomas took full advantage of his nice draw just the way Marat Safin did at the 2000 U.S. Open. Sometimes you have to be a little lucky. And Thomas got some breaks. Like playing a tough 5 set semifinal at night, and nearly 2 days before the men's final. But he took advantage of his breaks and that's the main thing. Johansson has often had bad luck on his side. Such as after winning the 1999 Canadian Open, he got a heart ailment of some kind, and had to miss the U.S. Open. Then last year, he won 2 grass court events before Wimbledon. Then he was unlucky to draw Andy Roddick early at Wimbledon. So Thomas finally got some breaks. And he took full advantage of them.

And atleast for one day, Thomas Johansson can step out of the immense shadows cast by Bjorn Borg, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg. Congrats Thomas!

auntie janie
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:29 AM
cat,

Your unusual ability to see BOTH SIDES of an issue :angel: will get you banned from these boards one of these days! ;)

Congrats to TJ!! I've been waiting a couple of years for this! :)

the cat
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Oh Janie! Banned? Me? Nyet!

bwguy
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:42 AM
We needn't shed tears for Marat. Did you see his "family" of supporters? No doubt the Russian stud has found significant consolation among the collection of ample bosoms assembled in the players box.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:53 AM
I'm the same cat .

I never thought Johansson had the balls to close it out but he was helped an awful lot during sets 2/3

Rubylips
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:48 AM
beautiful ladies.The man ,loves blondes.

selesfan
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:49 AM
I fell so happy for TJ, he is such a sweetie but I was so sad for Marat, to lose on his birthday!

Internet Lover
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:20 AM
That was such a nice post. :D