PDA

View Full Version : Uk top 10!

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Hey, i thought you guys who arent in the uk would like to no the top 10! (and hey im bored!) so here they are:

1. Enrique - Hero

2. A1 - Caught in the Middle

3. Pink - Get this party started

4. George Harrison - My sweet lord

5. Britney - Overprotected

6. Ja Rule - Always on time!

7. Flip And Fill - True Love Never Dies

8. Puretone - Addicted To Bass

9. Christina Milian - AM to PM

10.Afroman - Crazy Rap

other numbers:
11. Kaci - i think i love you
12. Aaliyah - More than a Woman
29. So Solid Crew - Haterz
30. Nas - Got UR self a....

look at the top 10. There are so many different sounds in there! lol! a very odd mix!

Nicoleke
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:00 PM
I like very much the vidéo clip of " Héro " by Enriqué Iglésisas.
The sonf isn' t " bad " ,

What is the " rank " of the Allstars with " The land of make believe " this week ?

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:02 PM
oooohhhhh, the top 10 is getting no better, although there are freakily 4 alright songs this week (Britney, Pink, Ja Rule and that Christina Milian thing). But none of them are stuff to get wildly excited about, and the rest are pure crap. (As much as I love the Beatles, 'My Sweet Lord' is a) shit and b) only there because he's dead, which is a slightly warped reason to buy a single.) Afroman, for god's sake. Watching TOTP is soooo depressing nowadays. At least Mercury Rev got to #16 last week with 'The Dark Is Rising', but it's unbelievable at how bad the taste of the British record-buying public is. :(

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Mary Cherry - It was a new release in last weeks chart and it debuted at number 9 (their highest placing yet i think) but this week it dropped to number 17.

Satrista7 - it is really unusual to get four songs like that out in one week.
i think the british charts are bad cause they are ruled by teenage girls. i think places like America are better because quality gets to number one their and it very rarely does here.
Like Aaliyah did and that was a great tune, but MJB didnt. Family Affair was totally hot. should have been number one. If westlife brought it out it would have been number one then.

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:18 PM
Kisha - I know, teenage girls aren't renowned for their music taste! Urgh, the horrific though of Westlife doing Family Affair - yeuch, they'd smother it in saccharine, it'd be awful! I still can't believe Get Ur Freak On didn't get to #1 - clearly THE single of 2001. (Although of my fave 5 singles last year, 3 didn't get into the top 20 :rolleyes: - PJ Harvey, the White Stripes and Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia).

I have a horrible feeling Aaliyah only got to #1 because she was dead. I'd like to believe it was because MTAW was a quality tune, which it was, but...

Anyway, we should console ourselves with the fact that the charts mean nothing about a song's quality! The best stuff never gets to #1.

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:22 PM
yeah! i can just say that i hate being british when it comes to music, no talent like Geri get all the money and chart positions and quality gets left at the bottom. Beverley knght should be number one - not geri halliwell!

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Geri Halliwell ::shudder::

how can one woman possess so little talent? she scares me, actually - look at her eyes in the video for her butchering of 'It's Raining Men', they're the eyes of a fame-crazed lunatic.

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:33 PM
more like im gonna rake it in with this manufactured crap.

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:36 PM
ah well, in ten year's time she'll be long forgotten by everyone except those people who make those 'i love 1987' programmes.

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:40 PM
yeah! thats a good thing! lol! geri who?!

JonBcn
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Thanks for posting that, Kisha - since I left the uk its a bit difficult to keep up with what´s going on...doesn´t look like I´m missing much though! I dont like a single song in the top ten. When does Nelly Furtado´s new single come out in the uk, or is it already?

Kisha
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:44 PM
thats cool sweetie! um, well the good news is that nellys song was realeased, the bad thing was it made number 19 before dropping back down the charts again. i think it was in top 40 for 2 weeks.

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:45 PM
JonBcn - if you mean 'Shit On The Radio' (cunningly censored to '.... On The Radio'), I think it's been and gone... I think it made the top 20. I can't make up my mind on Nelly Furtado. 'I'm Like A Bird' seriously irritated me, then 'Turn Off The Light' was fantastic. This one's a bit weak... anyway she's totally ripped off Imani Coppola's image and got famous with it so :p

JonBcn
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Man, I cant believe that was such a flop! it was my favourite from the album.
Sartrista; I know what you mean about Nelly, I really hated I´m Like a Bird, but loved Turn off the Lights, so I got the album and its great. Theres such a diverse mix of styles, and I find it really refreshing, it always puts me in a good mood. I´m not sure about the Imani Coppola thing; I really liked what I read in the press about her when she first came out, but I dont think she followed it up with much substance. What impresses me most about Nelly is that she wrote the album aged 19, plays loads of instruments on it, and self-produced most of it. (Debbie Gibson comparisons end there). And the couple of songs in Portuguese are really nice, a great language to sing!

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Imani Coppola did have a pretty good album, 'Chupacabra', but she wasn't marketed and promoted to the extent that Nelly has. Cynical old me thinks it's because radio DJs here can't pronounce her name. Also whereas Nelly is 'slightly eccentric' Imani is properly mad (sings about aliens, drugs etc.). The difference is illustrated by the fact that, whilst Nelly uses simile ('I'm Like A Bird'), Imani uses metaphor ('I'm A Tree'), which is far more effective in song titles.

Nicoleke
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Excuse me to think that, but I totally disagree with you. Okay, britush singers like Géri Halliwell, etc, etc ..... do " commercial pop music ", but don' t you think that " R'n ' b " like Aaliyah or various artists do " commercial r' n' b music " too. I think " yes " !!!!!

Nicoleke
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:00 AM
It is the same Imaani who sang " Where are you ? " in the Eurovision song contest ?

shirley
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:04 AM
TOP 10 UK ALBUMS!

1) JUST ENOUGH EDUCATION TO PERFORM - STEREOPHONICS
2) SWING WHEN YOU'RE WINNING - ROBBIE WILLIAMS
3) HARRY'S BAR - GORDON HASKELL
4) READ MY LIPS - SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR
5) NO ANGEL - DIDO
6) WHOA NELLY - NELLY FURTADO
7) ALL KILLER NO FILLER - SUM 41
8) SMALL WORLD BIG BAND - JOOLS HOLLAND
9) FREAK OF NATURE - ANASTACIA
10) SONGS IN A MINOR - ALICIA KEYS

Other entries in the Top 40

12) LOVE IS HERE - STARSAILOR
22) AALIYAH - AALIYAH
39) GREATEST HITS - VOL 2 - MADONNA

Hey, what do u think of the new avatar?

thefreedesigner
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:05 AM
That is a really weak Top 10!!! Yikes, it's almost frightening.

Only one - Ja Rule - will come from an album that has anything to it. I mean did the 'release the album before the single thing', and her album is not baaad, but... *shivers* mYou're right Kisha about the mix of sounds, it's just that few of them happen to be any good.

....As for Nelly 'Whoa Nelly' is - in this day and age - an impressive debut. They obviously did a 'Macy Gray' with her; got her sound, songs and management just right before unleashing her on the masses.

I'm like a bird I find annoying, but the first half of the album is great pop. I don't know why her initial press releases were referring to her as 'the female Beck' though. :rolleyes:

sartrista7
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:09 AM
The female Beck is Solex, who - if this makes any sense - is what Beck would be if Beck was what everyone says he is, i.e. eclectic, mad and adventurous.

Apparently Pink's album is not bad, but I'm sceptical.

JonBcn
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Ooh, Pink: no. Get yourself a guitar, girl, and something interesting to say while you´re at it.

I´ll grant you one thing about Imani; she had better hair.

How can the Stereophonics have the number 1 album? All those middle aged housewives spending the Rod Stewart Pound, I suppose...

Monica_Rules
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:18 AM
I love the britney song!

veryborednow
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Um... why is Kaci so high?? God, that is such shite.

I love the Puretone-Addicted to base, but hate everything else in that top 10 :(

But then who takes the top ten seriously apart from pre-pubescent teenage girls who have crushes on Shane from Westlife. Short arse.

Internet Lover
Jan 28th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Thanks Kisha it's great to see a different chart. :)

Princess Fiona
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Kisha
2. A1 - Caught in the Middle

Hooray! ;)

*cough*

<FONT SIZE=1>Is there any hope for me after this? :rolleyes:</FONT>

sartrista7
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Yuk, I see that the Australian charts are just as crap. 'This is why I hate people' - Lisa Kudrow, The Opposite Of Sex.

Franziska - no. No hope at all. :p ;)

TennFreak2000
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:13 AM
I'll put the latesr American charts up here that I have!

Singles

1. U Got It Bad------------------Usher :)
2. How You Remind Me-------Nickelback :)
3. Family Affair------------------Mary J. Blige :)
4. Get The Party Started-----Pink :)
5. Always on Time------------Ja Rule feat. Ashanti :)
6. My Sacrifice-----------------Creed :)
7. Whenever, Wherever----Shakira
8. Hero---------------------Enrique Iglesias
9. A Woman's Worth------Alicia keys
10. Differences----------Ginuwine :)

(7 smilies. rates a lot better, I guess! ) lol

Albums

1. Weathered-----------Creed
2. Hybrid Theory--------Linkin Park :) :) :)
3. Word of Mouf--------Ludacris
4. Silver Side Up--------Nickelback
5. Now 8---------------Various
6. A Day Without rain---Enya
7. Pain Is Love----------ja Rule
8. Missundaztood------Pink :)
9. Stillmayic----------Nas
10. Rock Steady------No Doubt :) :) :)

Foot Notes, Creed has set a record for most weeks at no. 1 for their album. I love the single, but I have to say...the album, as a whole, is crap. Linkin Park is tonz better.

Liked Enrique's song but have grown very tired of it.

The American charts are pretty overtaken by R&B, Hip-Hop. I think bubble-gum pop stuff is waning.
Although, I personally like a ton of pop stuff. Including even some of your UK pop. But my music tastes go in cycles as it is. Right now I'm really into rock, where as just recently, it was dance. I know it'll flip-flop again. Love the variety though.

Vanity
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Wow, I'm glad to see Anastacia's new album doing well in the UK! It hasn't been officially released here but I picked up the import and it's off the hook! The title track is quite the anthem... I'm almost thinking the WTA should use it as their theme song or something! LOL :D