PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Roman Lyashenko 1979-2003

dagmar7
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:11 PM
For any hockey fans... :sad:

I just heard that Roman Lyashenko died and I am in shock.

I remember him as Captain of the gold-medal winning Russian junior team in 1999. He showed incredible promise and I thought he would be a future Selke-winner in the mould of Jere Lehtinen.

He played for the Dallas Stars and New York Rangers and never got enough ice time on two teams that didn't really favour younger players...and now his young life is over...only twenty-four.

He died while vacationing with his family in Turkey, and the Globe and Mail website is reporting that it might have been a suicide.

Rest in peace, Roman. :sad:

the cat
Jul 8th, 2003, 11:47 PM
This is sad and skocking news! :sad: If this was a suicide as has been reported, I wish he could have talked with someone who could have helped him. I feel for his mother and sister who were on vacation with him in Turkey.

I know he was dissapointed with his NHL career to this point and he was interested in returning to Russia to play for a Russian hockey club and the Russian national hockey team. But there had to be other issues in his life that upset him so much.

I am a long time New York Rangers fan and I was hoping at some point Roman Lyashenko would be a major contributor to the Rangers turnaround. Now I only hope he can rest in peace.

Bacardi
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Sad sad news, he was such a talent. :sad: I really hoped he got more of a chance in the NHL. I wonder if anyone knew he was so depressed. Poor guy, he was a fantastic player... I hope he's playing hockey on the All Star team in heaven now. Prayers to his family and friends. :sad:

Steam
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I was going to post something on this in the NHL thread yesterday but I completely forgot. Pretty sad news. Never could seem to breakaway from being an above average AHLer/potential fourth liner.

vs1
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Very sad and disturbing news indeed.
May he rest in peace and may his family be strong during these hard times. :sad: :sad:

lakeway11
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM
while vacation in Turkey? :sad:

skanky~skanketta
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:04 PM
OMFG!why are so many young and promising people dying!??!!?

dagmar7
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:11 PM
while vacation in Turkey? :sad:

Yes. The suicide was reported by an Anatolian news agency, according to the Globe and Mail. Who knows what Roman Lyashenko had to face in his life, but I hope that the authorities treat this as a suspicious death and that there is a thorough investigation. Russian hockey has been plagued by organized crime, and there has been at least one kidnapping and another suspicious death, that of a trainer for the Yaroslavl team.

If there is any doubt, his family deserves to know the truth. :sad:
There are, of course, a lot of conflicting rumours and reports on various hockey message boards.

I still can hardly believe it. His career started out so well in Dallas... :sad:

Bacardi
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:57 PM
I agree with you dagmar7, when I first heard about this death I had my suspicions. The Russian Mafia is still alive and well not to mention involved with a lot of dirty dealings concerning some of our favorite sporting stars.

I heard Roman hung himself in his hotel room with his belt, while vacationing with his family. (According to an ESPN news report) It just seems odd to me that a young man would go on vacation and kill himself. It seems fishy, but then again if he had a bad depression vacation might not have cheered him up.

Thoughts and prayers for Roman and his family. :sad:

lakeway11
Jul 9th, 2003, 10:01 PM
quite possible...i still wonder how much Oksana Bauil's problems invloved pressure from organized crime in Russia...what drove Oksana to drink like she did? it was so sad she came so close to losing her life...i never read anything reporting any connection with shady figures but damn one has to wonder...

Peter M
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Oksana skated for Ukraine, not Russia.

the cat
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Roman Lyashenko was Captain of the 1999 Russian junior world championship team and he loved playing for the Russian national team on any level. He was hoping to return to play year round in Russia in the near future. To play in the NHL is a dream for alot of Russian hockey players. But it can become an emotional nightmare, too, if things don't got well. :(

I seriously doubt that the Russian Mafia or any crime figure was involved in this. Although the authorities need to investigate every possibility to try to make sense of this incomprehensible tragedy. :sad:

dagmar7
Jul 10th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Here is an example of what I mean by conflicting reports.

A swiss newspaper Blick is reporting that Lyashenko was HIV-positive and that this may have been a motivation for suicide.

http://www.blick.ch/PB2G/PB2GA/pb2ga.htom?snr=54340 (http://www.blick.ch/PB2G/PB2GA/pb2ga.htm?snr+54340)

The Globe and Mail quotes Dr. Evsoy as saying that Roman Lyanshenko had neither the HIV-virus nor any other disease/condition.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030709.wturks/BNStory/Sports/

There's a bit of a problem with the link to Blick, but if you go into Sports and scroll down to the article on Liashenko (as it's spelled there) you will find AIDS--da erhangte er sich im Hotel.

Sorry for the missing umlaut.