PDA

View Full Version : Less weight is NOT always a good thing

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:48 PM
I wrote the folowing a couple weeks ago in a thread with a title I'll never use again.

Jenn is MUCH better shape than she was at the USOpen. I think what's happened is she made a choice to go for a little more power as opposed to a little more leanness. She was moving wonderfully amd really whacking the ball. The hip may turn out to be a problem, but the weight is not. She might be five or ten pounds heavier than last year, but its clearly mostly muscle.

Who's to say if I was right about Jenn's choices? I'll never know. But what is clear is that Jenn had a little more reserve in her tank than the leaner Hingis. A couple hundred extra calories to burn. The hip seemed to bother her a little, but she still had the energy. Martina ran out toward the end.

Another example. To my eyes, Venus came into OZ last year underweight, and got destroyed by Martina.

Conclusion: Less weight is not always a good thing. Your heathiest weight is the best one. The weight at which you can perform the desired task at the highest level for the longest time is the best weight.

irma
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:55 PM
I agree, but in this world being in a shape obvious means being anorexia thin.

VS Fan
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Serena is a good example of a healthy body combined with speed and power that the skinny girls seldom achieve. I think that Jennifer's best fitness was at the French Open 2001. This was the ONLY time she actually WON against a healthy, uninjured Serena Williams.

Also remember that TV adds about 10-15 pounds of apparant girth to anyone on the tube. Serena is a babe even on TV, I am sure that both are babes in real life.

Rollo
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:05 PM
It's a good Volcana. In Martina's defense she had less time to get in cardio-shape due to last year's injury. From the Clijster's match in Sydnet it was obvious she's not back to 100% in that department.

Sorry VSfan, but I think Serena is an example of someone who is often overweight. Yes, a lot of it is her body type-but she often seems to be out of condition early in the year in Australia, then getting stronger as the year progresses. She ran out of gas vs Likhostseva and Hingis last year in OZ-even this year she was gasping for air in the 3 set win over Kournikova.

Like Capriati, Seles, and many(if not most) others, Serena's fortunes will go up and down with her weight and conditioning. Sanchez-Vicario and Coetzer are ones who comes to mind when I think of women who got the most out a short and stocky body type. I can't recall one match they lost because of fitness. Clijsters seems to be the same way.

Graf and Venus Williams have the perfect bodies for tennis.

veryborednow
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Serious point : Does the camera really add 10 pounds?! I always assumed that was some kind of myth. And if anyone knows, why?

Rubylips
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Serena never be over weighted to me.

VS Fan
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:25 AM
Well I have met or seen many hollywood stars in person and they ALWAYS look skinny compared to their TV image. Also if you have a video camera, take some shots of you and your family and friends, then play them back on the tube. You should be convinced. I am not sure why this is but it maked many starlets become very skinny so that they will look good on the tube.

Williams Rulez
Jan 28th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Yeah... the TV is like that... :rolleyes:

Venus has the right body for tennis. Quite lean and fit. Not much excessive baggage and muscular enough!! :D