PDA

View Full Version : reasons for skipping a period?

tazban1
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Either I'm really, really late or my period didn't come this month. There were 2 other times that I remember skipping it but that was around a year ago - though I guess I didn't keep that close track of it before that.

I don't diet or exercise, I'm not on any type of medication or take any other type of drugs (except advil for headaches), I'm not under any extra stress, and I know I'm not pregnant.

Also, afaik, I'm not ill in any way except for an extremely minor cold that just won't go away. So what does that leave, other than something being screwed up in the plumbing?

RYN
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:47 AM
girls can control there period? Im not trying to be funny or anything but thats interesting...

tazban1
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:52 AM
girls can control there period? Im not trying to be funny or anything but thats interesting...

I didn't do anything to control it, but there are several things that can affect a woman's period. There's even drugs that can delay it and I've heard of birth control pills regulating it - though I've never tried either.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Birth control regulates it. You know pretty much to the day when your period will come.

Have you always been irregular, or is this just a recent thing? how old are you?

RYN
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:59 AM
what are the advantages and disadvantges of it?

I mean if its something that your body needs, why skip it?

Crazy Canuck
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:00 AM

I'm not sure that I understand the question...?

Crazy Canuck
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:01 AM
ARe you asking why it's essential for a woman to have a period?!

King Satan
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:02 AM
becca, don't listen to him. and why is a man asking so much questions about this?

*leaves thread immediately*

RYN
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:06 AM
fine, dont answer me, I just thought of it being interesting lol. im just asking a question geez, ive been in this board longer than you have and ive never been insulted.

tazban1
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:10 AM

For a lot of women, there are a lot of side affects to menstruating - it can make you tired, be very painful, make you bloated, etc. I've heard of athletes going on medication before a big event so that they can be in top form. I suppose I can understand doing something like that before a vacation as well.

RYN
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM
For a lot of women, there are a lot of side affects to menstruating - it can make you tired, be very painful, make you bloated, etc. I've heard of athletes going on medication before a big event so that they can be in top form. I suppose I can understand doing something like that before a vacation as well.

sounds harsh, well you asked reasons for skipping a period, if it hurts then I would ask a doctor coz if its painful I dont know sounds like there a problem. But thats just me whenever I feel pain I never got before I usually get a check up just to make sure.

tazban1
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Have you always been irregular, or is this just a recent thing? how old are you?

I'm kind of an odd case because when I was younger it would linger forever. i.e. it would be like a normal flow for 3-5 days, but then I'd still get trace amounts for long after. There'd only be like 2 weeks where it was completely done and then it would start up again.

When I was about 18.5 it suddenly became normal so that it was pretty normal and regular. I'm 22.5 now and it's been pretty normal and regular for the last 4 years, but counting this time - there have been 3 times where I've completely skipped it and there have been a couple times where I've only gotten trace amounts.

I should say that I've lost weight since high school, but only by 5-10 lbs at any point. My lowest was 97lbs. but my period was normal at 97lbs. I normally hover between 103 and 105, though I've gained a few pounds and have been about 108 for the last month or so.

Bacardi
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I'm having the same problem right now, and I'm quite sure I'm not pregnant... as I'm always careful. Sometimes your hormones go out of wack, and you need to take like birth control to get it fixed. Other times, diet, and exercise or stress can also cause you to miss one. If it happens very often you might have to go to your doctor... I'm going later this week, and it's going to suck, but I suppose it's time to go back on the pill. :rolleyes:

Jordan.
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:40 AM
girrl, i theenk u iz pregnant

JaneAgain
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:05 AM
You say you are 108 lbs but don't say your height. If you are tall, the problem could be that you are too thin. The production of estrogen, necessary for normal menstral function, requires at least a certain level of body fat. From the history you related, it seems that you have been irregular in your cycle for some time. There are a great many reasons why that can happen, some serious, some easily correctable. Sometimes it is just the way it is for some women. The best suggstion is that you see your doctor for a thorough examination.

tazban1
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:31 AM
You say you are 108 lbs but don't say your height. If you are tall, the problem could be that you are too thin.

I'm 5'4". If being 97lbs. didn't cause a problem, I don't think being 108 would so I'm thinking it's something else. I actually have a fairly high fat percentage for my size due to never exercizing and eating horribly (no muscles) - in high school, I had one of the highest readings though I've lost weight since then and they didn't exactly use the best choice of measurement. I know I've been teetering on the edge of the BMI measurements but no one's ever looked at me and told me that I should gain weight. The only thing I can think of that I've changed within the last month is that I'm trying to drink water instead of pop - I went from 2-5 cans a day to about 3 cans the last 2.5 weeks and I can't imagine that affecting anything.

gentenaire
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:49 AM

I don't think it's very healthy to skip it. I try to move it with the pill, so that I don't have it when I'm on a holiday. It can seriously ruin a holiday.

Tazban, I know people who're very irregular. A colleague of mine just got pregnant, but she needed an echo to find out how far along she was since she's so irregular. If it worries you, speak to a doctor.

SJW
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM
pregnant....

saki
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:56 AM
The usual advice from doctors is to take a pregnancy test, if that's negative, only if you have no periods for three months should you go to see your doctor. Being borderline underweight you run a rist of bone disease in later life if you miss your period for more than three months as it indicates a lack of oestrogen.

decemberlove
Jul 8th, 2003, 11:38 AM
go to the doctor. have you ever been to the gyno yet? if not, you're waaaay overdue.

bee
Jul 8th, 2003, 01:45 PM
When you take any medication even for a cold ... it can delay it...

skanky~skanketta
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:25 PM
lol!could be that you're pregnant!

anyway, its probably just irregular. many women have this sort of problem. maybe it could be some sort of medication you're taking, or could even be stress. my gyne once told me that i missed mine because i was too stressed. anyway, its pretty normal to have irregular periods, as long as its not too long. but go see a doctor anywayz.

splat
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
About intentionally skipping your period...apparently it's perfectly safe. I mean they recommend having it at least once ever 3-4 months, but skipping it isn't unhealthy.

ClijstersHewitt
Jul 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM
About six months ago, my period was late, and then I started to skip altogether. I went to the gynecologist and got diagnosed as having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I think it would be a good idea if you went to the doctor; there may not be anything serious wrong, but there's no harm in checking.

Sean
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:39 PM
pregnant, stressed, ill

Maxine
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I thought I could have been pregnant earlier this year but I was overreacting. I was on the Atkins Diet at the time and did not even think it would mess up my cycle. I would go to a doctor

decemberlove
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:48 PM
lol!could be that you're pregnant!

anyway, its probably just irregular. many women have this sort of problem. maybe it could be some sort of medication you're taking, or could even be stress. my gyne once told me that i missed mine because i was too stressed. anyway, its pretty normal to have irregular periods, as long as its not too long. but go see a doctor anywayz.

at the age of 22, a woman should have a pretty regular period. young girls often have irregular periods, but thats cos theyre still growing and their hormones are out of wack. irregular periods are usually a sign of unhealthiness, whether it be physical, emotional, etc.

decemberlove
Jul 8th, 2003, 07:49 PM
About intentionally skipping your period...apparently it's perfectly safe. I mean they recommend having it at least once ever 3-4 months, but skipping it isn't unhealthy.

yep. they are working on a birth control pill that will be seasonal, only four periods a year, rather than 12. it sounds so lovely, finally after all these years of monthly hell.

saki
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:38 PM
I was diagnosed with PCOS too, but seriously it's not worth going to see the doctor yet. They'll just send you away again and tell you to come back if you skip more than a couple more.

Rocketta
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:36 PM
haven't a clue......

If I'm not on depo provera, aunt flo comes to visit every month! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh I miss those period free days of the depo era. :sad: Never having a period was so much fun. You all are right having your period come on when you go on a vacation is the pits. The funny thing is stressful situations can make your period start as well as stay away. So if you're one of the unlucky ones who bleed when under stress, everytime you do anything stressfull your period starts like starting a new job, vacation, moving, going on a first date. It sucks! :fiery:

carisbro
Jul 9th, 2003, 12:24 AM
ooops im in the wrong thread... :o :eek:

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2003, 04:51 PM
ooops im in the wrong thread... :o :eek:

sure you are ;)