PDA

View Full Version : Is "Venus Envy" Any Good?

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:23 AM
??

Scotso
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:32 AM
I really enjoyed it.

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:36 AM
was it better than ladies of the court?

Scotso
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Haven't read that one.

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:49 AM
ok.

hugetennisfan
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:12 PM
I haven't read the book myself, but here is a link to a review.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/mckendry/010905.html

evaz
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:14 PM
I really liked reading it!

Nikki
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:42 PM
I liked it:)

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:49 PM
thank you for the link.
I think I might read it possibly.

veryborednow
Jan 27th, 2002, 03:00 PM
I was an easy but enjoyable read, didn't reveal a huge amount though.

JonBcn
Jan 27th, 2002, 03:10 PM
I agree with verybored 100%. If you´re really interested in womens tennis, its very readable, but doesnt give us too much that we dont already know. It´s quite similar to Ladies of the Court in that it likes to look to the gossipier side of stuff, but then thats quite fun too. Only thing is it seems quite short; i read it in two days.

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 03:51 PM
2 days is good as I am already busy and reading 2 others books

auntie janie
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:36 PM
VENUS ENVY is a lot of fun! And I agree, it is a quick read.:D :D :D
And I agree, it is a quick read. I picked it up and just kept going; it runs through the entire 2000 season. I wished it kept going!

eugreene2
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Bumping this thread since I am just now reading this book. It has some good stuff & is kinda funny. I always knew sommething was up with Davenport. It turns out that she is/was a riot. Given what she said about Venus in 2000, it's no coincedence, in my opinion, that Venus would go on to beat her twice in Slam finals.

Quick easy read. Anybody else read it? IF you live in the DC/MD area, Karibu books has it on the discount list/shelf for a $7. Worth it.

Talula
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I loved it. I thought it did provide some insights, and left me feeling a little sorry for some players, and less so for some others! There is quite a tender and truthful chapter on Monica Seles - it also reveals her love of money, a suspicion her fans like me long held!!

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
its great..i loved it when i read it....back then i didnt know much about what happened behind the scenes so i guess if i was to read it now, it wouldn't be as good....i really want there to be another one!

Its been too long....im gonna read it again:D

kiwifan
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM
a fun, quick read.

obviously very dated info now but still worth a go. :cool:

LCS
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah it's great...a good buy!

RJWCapriati
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Good tennis read for any fan who knows their tennis.

yukon145
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
i really enjoyed it and you can finish it in about a day.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I loved it. I thought it did provide some insights, and left me feeling a little sorry for some players, and less so for some others! There is quite a tender and truthful chapter on Monica Seles - it also reveals her love of money, a suspicion her fans like me long held!!

I know there was a rumor around some time ago about her staying out longer after the stabbins so that her Fila contract would expire and she could get a nice Nike contract. :tape:

delicatecutter
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
It's very good! I own it and have read it twice. :)

Declan
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I love the bit where Mary Pierce has to diplomatically advise her doubles partner Martina Hingis about the niceties of sporting behaviour in defeat after the Australian Open final!!

supergrunt
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Bumping this thread since I am just now reading this book. It has some good stuff & is kinda funny. I always knew sommething was up with Davenport. It turns out that she is/was a riot. Given what she said about Venus in 2000, it's no coincedence, in my opinion, that Venus would go on to beat her twice in Slam finals.

Quick easy read. Anybody else read it? IF you live in the DC/MD area, Karibu books has it on the discount list/shelf for a $7. Worth it.

What did she say?

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
What did she say?

That Venus thinks shes 'Da Bomb' and that shes not nice to any of the players and doesnt talk to anyone. She also said that serena is much nicer because 'at least she can say hi' and ask how its going and stuff. Now they have respect and are friendly to each other....i think Davenport got the wrong end of the stick and thought venus was being arrogant when really, she was just shy

eugreene2
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM
That Venus thinks shes 'Da Bomb' and that shes not nice to any of the players and doesnt talk to anyone. She also said that serena is much nicer because 'at least she can say hi' and ask how its going and stuff. Now they have respect and are friendly to each other....i think Davenport got the wrong end of the stick and thought venus was being arrogant when really, she was just shy

Davenport's direct quote was ...

"Who knows what's going on with that family. Serena's more friendly. At least she can bring herself to say hi. Venus can't-or won't-even speak. Venus likes to give the impression that she's so great, that she's Da bomb, or whatever. She can say it all she wants but that just means she doesn't have it. She gets psyched out in big matches. She 's not happy with her sister winning and the pressure is really falling on her."

Well I guess Venus really got psyched out when came from 1-4 down in that 2000 US Open final. This book is hilarious. LOL

sfselesfan
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I liked it a lot. Starts at the AO 2000 (when Venus was still slamless and everyone thought she was going to retire because Serena beat her to the punch). Chronicles Lindsay's win at the AO (and the beginning of Capriati's comeback - she made it to SF). Gives Monica and Pierce great treatment at the French Open. Then covers Venus' breakout at the end of the year.

I'm not a Jon fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a good book.

Another interesting book that does the same thing is called "Hard Courts." Can't remember the author. It covers the men's and women's tours in 1990. Steffi won AO. Capriati came on tour right after...impressively. Monica won RG (first slam). Martina won her last singles slam at Wimbledon. Sabatini defied the odds at the USO. Great book.

SF

hingis-seles
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I liked it a lot. Starts at the AO 2000 (when Venus was still slamless and everyone thought she was going to retire because Serena beat her to the punch). Chronicles Lindsay's win at the AO (and the beginning of Capriati's comeback - she made it to SF). Gives Monica and Pierce great treatment at the French Open. Then covers Venus' breakout at the end of the year.

I'm not a Jon fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a good book.

Another interesting book that does the same thing is called "Hard Courts." Can't remember the author. It covers the men's and women's tours in 1990. Steffi won AO. Capriati came on tour right after...impressively. Monica won RG (first slam). Martina won her last singles slam at Wimbledon. Sabatini defied the odds at the USO. Great book.

SF

John Feinstein, I believe. I've been looking for a copy of Hard Courts everywhere. And a copy of Passing Shots by Pam Shriver. Dying to read those books.

SV_Fan
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
That is one of the best books ever I have the original, but there is a newer version talking about the slams in 01. Its sooooooooo good covers the whole season and the tours main charaters Venus,Lindsay,Martina,Monica and Serena. But they have bit and pieces about Alexandra,Jelena, Mirijana etc. Overall good book I've read it a ton of times. Sometimes I got surprised while reading like what Lindsay really is about. You should read it.

Helen Lawson
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
For anyone who posts here, Venus Envy is a MUST READ! It's dated now, but there are still some of the same players.

The guy is a big fan of Venus. I mean, when I have fans over, it gets pretty damn thick in my living room, but this guy takes the cake.

sfselesfan
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
John Feinstein, I believe. I've been looking for a copy of Hard Courts everywhere. And a copy of Passing Shots by Pam Shriver. Dying to read those books.

Feinstein is the one. I bought mine years ago, but didn't bother reading it until recently. It was very funny. Amazon might have a used copy. I think I still have mine. Will have to check when I get home. Didn't know it wasn't still available. It was pretty popular at the time it was published and may actually be in a library (if you live in a metropolitan area).

SF

V-MAC
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
hmm, I think I'll have to track down a copy :)

kiwifan
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM
This is making me want to read all those books over again (I've got hard courts and venus envy in a pile somewhere)...

...I got/read Pam Shriver's book about a year ago. :)

Now I'm going to have to go read Venus Envy again (I'm ready Boris Becker's book right now, pretty boring so far :()

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I love the bit where Mary Pierce has to diplomatically advise her doubles partner Martina Hingis about the niceties of sporting behaviour in defeat after the Australian Open final!!

Davenport's direct quote was ...

"Who knows what's going on with that family. Serena's more friendly. At least she can bring herself to say hi. Venus can't-or won't-even speak. Venus likes to give the impression that she's so great, that she's Da bomb, or whatever. She can say it all she wants but that just means she doesn't have it. She gets psyched out in big matches. She 's not happy with her sister winning and the pressure is really falling on her."

Well I guess Venus really got psyched out when came from 1-4 down in that 2000 US Open final. This book is hilarious. LOL

It was so great that he did it at the height of the WTA Bitching...i remember he wrote about one of the GSs where Davenport was playing Serena or something and Hingis was playing Venus and before the match, Hingis and davenport talked and hingis was like' you take out serena and i'll take out venus'

Classic:lol: one of my favourite books.

That is one of the best books ever I have the original, but there is a newer version talking about the slams in 01. Its sooooooooo good covers the whole season and the tours main charaters Venus,Lindsay,Martina,Monica and Serena. But they have bit and pieces about Alexandra,Jelena, Mirijana etc. Overall good book I've read it a ton of times. Sometimes I got surprised while reading like what Lindsay really is about. You should read it.

:eek:What is it called???:eek: im getting that!!!

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM
o are there any other tennis books people would reccomend?

I would reccomend The Monica Seles (Autobiography) i got that somewhere in the cupboard as well...gotta wipe off the cobwebs and re-read:D

arbalest
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I read this last year and wondered if the unflattering portrait of Anna K was too cartoonish, or if she had a nice/private side Wertheim didn't see.

Also a thirteen year old Maria Sharapova gets a mention as a young IMG recruit, when Wertheim is talking about the Anna gold rush and how young the businesses are targeting kids. It makes me think that Masha's role was v clearly defined early by the businesses, and possibly not so much her fault if she sometimes seems to work for them.

Nice portrait of Lindsay, who was much more candid with her words back then.

spencercarlos
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Davenport was just speaking the thruth and being honest... ups sorry is not that the excuse used by Williams Fans every time their faves come up with sh.t.? :lol:

serenafann
Jul 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I want those books,I love tennis books.

Volcana
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Davenport was just speaking the thruth and being honest... No. Davenport was voicing an opinion and being honest.

Looking at it with seven more years of data, Davenport was quite clearly NOT speaking the truth, even though she WAS being honest. Youcan be honest and wrong, and that time, Davenport was.

But it really easy to say 'Davenport was wrong' seven years later. She was 24 at the time. I sure wouldn't want my life judged based on nothing but stuff I said at that age. Outside of raw calculation, I barely had a brain before age 35.

spencercarlos
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:09 AM
No. Davenport was voicing an opinion and being honest.

Looking at it with seven more years of data, Davenport was quite clearly NOT speaking the truth, even though she WAS being honest. Youcan be honest and wrong, and that time, Davenport was.

But it really easy to say 'Davenport was wrong' seven years later. She was 24 at the time. I sure wouldn't want my life judged based on nothing but stuff I said at that age. Outside of raw calculation, I barely had a brain before age 35.
It depends on the agle you want to see it. It was probably Davenport´s truth back then. Maybe Queen Vee barely had words with her back then, while Serena being totally the opossite.
And Venus had had arrogance words about Davenport´s game (indirectly) even after that.. 2004 Standford, Usopen and stuff.

harloo
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Venus Envy was a good page turner, but it was a bit gossipy. Weirthem really knows how to make everyone interesting though, I'll give him that. The only part I didn't like about the book is how he started talking about Richard's domestic violence charge. I thought that was a bit tacky.:o

Meesh
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Venus Envy was great but it was a quick read. I wanted more. Some of the stuff we already knew but still a great read.
I got Ladies of the Court by Michael Mewshaw from half.com but haven't read it yet.

auntie janie
Jul 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Looks like some sellers at Abebooks and Biblio have them. Here are some web prices for those two in US dollars, including shipping to Pakistan:

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9780070571778

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9780394583334

and Ladies of the Court (also recommended!):

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9781587540134

It's true that sometimes when you go to a site like Abebooks or Biblio, the shipping cost is not what was stated on fetchbook. But hey, it's a start.

PamShriverRockz
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I enjoyed Venus Envy, quick read but fun. Nothing we didn't already know though. Like Ladies of the Court, which I also enjoyed reading.

My favourite tennis book is Pam's Passing Shots. It's really insightful, and Pam has a great sense of humour. I found it a little sad though, it's as if Pam somehow knows she'll never win a slam, but I'm probably thinking too much with hindsight ;)

Slutiana
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
One funny thing in the book was in the anna chapter when Schnyder and her partner were playing kournikova and schett and before the match, schnyder asked schett to give her a short ball so she could smack it at kournikova. :o

A book that was interesting was Dave Reinberg:My five years as hitting coach for the williams sisters.

It was a bit wierd the way it ended tho. When he went to talk to Venus and she was like 'Im sorry dave, i can't talk to you'

Has anyone read Nathalie Tauziat's book? Is it any good?

auntie janie
Jul 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
My favourite tennis book is Pam's Passing Shots. It's really insightful, and Pam has a great sense of humour. I found it a little sad though, it's as if Pam somehow knows she'll never win a slam, but I'm probably thinking too much with hindsight ;)

I thought it was bizarre how submissive Pam seemed to be towards Martina and Chris. They both seemed to expect to be treated like royalty, and Pam accepted her role as a mere subject; at least, that was my take on it. I don't think a top-5 player would be so cowed, on and off the court, towards the #1 and #2 players these days!

In addition to all the books mentioned here, Zina Garrison also wrote a book which I enjoyed: Zina: My Life in Women's Tennis.

SV_Fan
Jul 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
It was so great that he did it at the height of the WTA Bitching...i remember he wrote about one of the GSs where Davenport was playing Serena or something and Hingis was playing Venus and before the match, Hingis and davenport talked and hingis was like' you take out serena and i'll take out venus'

Classic:lol: one of my favourite books.

:eek:What is it called???:eek: im getting that!!!

Venus Envy but it's updated.

PamShriverRockz
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I thought it was bizarre how submissive Pam seemed to be towards Martina and Chris. They both seemed to expect to be treated like royalty, and Pam accepted her role as a mere subject; at least, that was my take on it. I don't think a top-5 player would be so cowed, on and off the court, towards the #1 and #2 players these days!

Yeah I know what you mean. Pam seems to think she's there to make up the numbers or something. Interesting.

hingis-seles
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Looks like some sellers at Abebooks and Biblio have them. Here are some web prices for those two in US dollars, including shipping to Pakistan:

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9780070571778

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9780394583334

and Ladies of the Court (also recommended!):

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=9781587540134

It's true that sometimes when you go to a site like Abebooks or Biblio, the shipping cost is not what was stated on fetchbook. But hey, it's a start.

Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks a lot. :hug:

kiwifan
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM

In addition to all the books mentioned here, Zina Garrison also wrote a book which I enjoyed: Zina: My Life in Women's Tennis.

She is quite a study in contrasts because her writing of the situations was definitely deferential but stick a mike in her face and she usually came off a bit cocky.

Difference was in the book she spends so much time apologizing for any cocky sounding sound bites well other than "Boo, Hoo, and Little Boo Hoo". :lol:

As an Evert fan, I really enjoyed Pam zinging Chris for always teaming up with a local player for doubles when they were in other countries...Chris America knew how to become "Chris India" or "Chris Japan" and it also explains her nearly non-existent doubles results.

eugreene2
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
OK, I finished the book ... didn't do it in 2 days like some of you. I have a whole new perspective on some of these players. These young ladies go through alot on this tour. The info on Meghann Shaugnessy (sp?) and Patty was very enlightening. The stuff that Pierce, Dokic went through was sad. It was fun reading about a young Sharapova & Henin. This book also made me want to go back & watch some of those classic matches. I know I'm gonna pull out the 2000 qtr final clash between Venus & Hingis. I wish I had a copy of that 2000 4th round battle between Kournikova & Henin to see Justine defeat Ms. Queen B. LOL

One things for sure, somewhere along the line a miracle happened because it was obvious that Hingis & Davenport (and most of the other girls) disliked Venus & Serena. They probably still do ... just more subtle ... or maybe everyone has matured. NOT

Joachim1978
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I loved too, I would reccomend it to any tennis fan.

"Ladies Of The Court" was inferior in my mind, and a little over simplistic. I think it's high time for a sequel...

kiwifan
Jul 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
One things for sure, somewhere along the line a miracle happened because it was obvious that Hingis & Davenport (and most of the other girls) disliked Venus & Serena. They probably still do ... just more subtle ... or maybe everyone has matured. NOT

My High School hated Bridgewater with a near violent passion. They were "f*cking guidos" and we were "stupid farm boys and wussy preppies". :tape:

In college whenever I encountered a Bridgewater player on another team, I could laugh about the whole thing and of course we could brag about how good Jersey High School soccer was, "when we were doing it".

I think Chucky, Big Lindsay and Venus especially can look back on it all in a friendly manner, if not as friends...Serena probably didn't really notice anyway..."Venus Envy" freed up Serena to be too busy kicking ass to reflect on "the good ole days" quite yet. :lol: :devil: :lol:

I'm sure most of the other girls who currently don't like Vee and Ree will smile with pride and tell their children that they played in the Williams Sister Era. :devil: