PDA

View Full Version : I wish Tommy won the semis...

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:15 AM
... at least he would have given all of himself in the final.... without those annoying demeanors :o

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:01 AM
and we wouldn't have to see a slutty looking girl every 5 minutes of the coverage:o :(

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:13 AM
this final was not too good. rios cant talk now. safin was awful.
he probably tanked? did he party last night all night with those "sluts?"

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
wouldn't be surprised... glad he was tought a lesson.

Tratree
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:22 AM
What a complete opposite in finals. In one final we saw a champion who refused to give up and won an unforgettable match. In the second, we saw a chump who refused to compete and lost a very forgettable match. How sad.

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:30 AM
I dont want to take anything from thomas, but this is a disgrace I think.
Safin could not hardly move or run.
What was going on?
He was fined for tanking before.
ESPN probably wont make this a classic.

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:41 AM
yeah, pathetic performance

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:45 AM
safin went down 5-0 in the tiebreaker and THEN tried to fight back. it was too late!:rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:49 AM
he played couple of wonderful points at that time... it just shows that he wasn't tired or anything... I don't know what he was :o

daNieLa iS cUtE
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Were you all watching the same match?

The score was 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 for goodness sake!

Johansson played an unbelievable match, matching Safin for power and out-hitting him on many occasions. Johansson took the match to Safin after the first set. In the fourth, Safin was 3-0 and break point down. He saved it(them?) and managed to claw his way back into the set, breaking Johansson back.

Did you watch that tiebreak? A couple of unbelievable backhands from Johansson, one off the half-volley too! Did you see that forehand winner that saved the first match point?

In fact, I thought that Martina tanked the last set in her final after going down a break yesterday. She was so knackered and you could see that she was going for broke in the last few games.

Safin tanking? :eek:
Get a grip! :mad:

Mercury Rising
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I also think you are all not giving credit to Thomas, he played great! Some wonderful points from the Sweed.

imogen
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Thomas played a great match!! He simply outplayed Safin, fair and square! I was hoping Haas would get through to the finals but nevermind. It was a bonus for Johannson that Safin was getting more & more disinterested in the match cos then he was able to put his foot down on the accelerator and close out the match.

Who were those 3 blonds in the front row of Safin's camp?? Did he hire them, or were they his cousins? (Cos he did mention that he would like to thank his family for coming all the way...bizarre!).

:bounce: :bounce:

apoet29
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:01 PM
It's always disappointing when your favorite loses, but Safin did not tank that match. I watched the match and after losing the first set Johansson really stepped up his game and while Safin kept it close, Johansson knew how to shut him out.

By saying that Marat tanked this match, you are not only taking away from the great effort he made to keep it close, you are also taking away from the effort that Johansson made to win it. Thomas was the underdog in this match, yet he really kept it together to win.

Kudos to both players. :)

-Sonic-
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:24 PM
I would have liked to see Tommy into the final as well as I think he's wonderful. Oh well.

anton
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM
agassi get well soon!!

daNieLa iS cUtE
Jan 27th, 2002, 10:01 PM
apoet29, great post!

I found it extremely shocking that Marat could be accused of tanking. IMO he tried his best on the day but came up short. You'd have thought that Johansson was the supposedly better player the way he raised his game after the first set.

I was rooting for Tommy all the way in the semifinals, but I have to say that I have taken to Marat since his sincere and humoured runner-up speech. He was very gracious and it was good to see him smiling, even though he couldn't cap off his 22nd birthday with a 2nd grand slam title.