PDA

View Full Version : Lena and Joe Giuliano and the reasons for splitting up

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Talked to my "buddy" Joe Giuliano when he had a little spare time during a rain break.

Lena doesn't wanna talk about it at all, her head is so messed up right now, even Chesnokov has dumped her,

I met Joe again in 2nd week (he's working part-time with Tatiana Golovin)
This is what he had to say:

Bovina stopped listening to him, didn't wanna know, her parents got too involved, told Joe that she was #16 and do what she/they want.
He told her that he part of the reason she went all the to #16.
Then after a while Joe found out that Bovina had hired another coach (Chesnokov) behind his back and he got seriously pissed off and left.
Now she is slipping badly, no confidence, stabilty and now NO COACH what so ever.

The time is coming soon for Lena to defend those big points and she's got to get her head sorted quick.

Jordan.
Jul 4th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Oh my.. :sad:

LeonHart
Jul 4th, 2003, 01:06 AM
:eek: Lena...bad choices.

WOOT_TOUR
Jul 4th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Lena, I don't care if you're stupid and continue to play terribly. :)

snoop
Jul 4th, 2003, 08:08 AM
:mad: What a mess

Thanks Eggy :)

tenn_ace
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:09 PM
actually I'm not surprised at all... I was sitting to Gulliano/Lena's mother and sister last year at the US Open on two occasions and heard all the conversations between Lena's mother and her sister (certainly in Russian)... I thought back then then she (mother) didn't sound like she likes Joe very much. But I could never imagine that it would come to such disastrous end...

:sad:

:(:mad: @ Lena stop being an idiot... just remember where you were a year ago.

Elleke
Jul 5th, 2003, 11:04 AM
:sad: Lena!

King Aaron
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM
That's terrible. :mad:

Dava
Jul 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Tennis mothers dont seem to like coaches very much, especially the Russian ones. Vera D, did not look thrilled to be with Van Harpen at Birmingham...

Anyway I hope that Elena can sort things out.

tenn_ace
Jul 9th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Tennis mothers dont seem to like coaches very much, especially the Russian ones. Vera D, did not look thrilled to be with Van Harpen at Birmingham...

Anyway I hope that Elena can sort things out.

I thought it was Elena D. who was with Eric van Harpen... Or do they share the same coach?

snoop
Jul 9th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Elena D was with van Harpen not Elena B

Dava talked about Vera Dementieva

King Aaron
Jul 9th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Vera Dementieva? :confused:

tenn_ace
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM
or was it Vera Douchevina?

ys
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Vera Dementieva? :confused:

Yes, Alyona's mother..

ys
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM
actually I'm not surprised at all... I was sitting to Gulliano/Lena's mother and sister last year at the US Open on two occasions and heard all the conversations between Lena's mother and her sister (certainly in Russian)... I thought back then then she (mother) didn't sound like she likes Joe very much. But I could never imagine that it would come to such disastrous end....

I sat next to them at her match against Schiavone, and they seemed to be very friendly, and I think, even kissed after the match.

tenn_ace
Jul 9th, 2003, 07:51 PM
I sat next to them at her match against Schiavone, and they seemed to be very friendly, and I think, even kissed after the match.

yeah, but have you heard what they were saying???

ys
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:17 PM
No, I watched tennis..;)

Dava
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Sorry I meant Vera Dementieva, I realise about Vera Douchevina afterwards!

King Aaron
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for clearing up who Vera Dementieva is. I didn't know she was Elena's mother. :o

tenn_ace
Jul 11th, 2003, 01:57 PM
No, I watched tennis..;)

tennis was boring... Elena played well but her mixed doubles partner (Mark) was awful... I have nothing more to do.

auntie janie
Jul 12th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I just saw Eggy's post now and I have to say it is very upsetting. Elena has made a huge, huge mistake. It's not going to be easy to find her way back from the hole she has dug for herself. And I have lost some respect for her, because she was too dense to understand the important role her coach had in her rise up the ranks.

Then if it is true that she hired another coach behind Joe's back, that is pathetic behavior. :p

Maybe by now, though, she understands what she has done. :(

And she is young enough to correct these mistakes of egoism. I hope she will find the humility to beg Joe to return, and that she will learn to listen to him more.

VeraSydney
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Leena here.

No offense... but maybe you guys should try listening to both sides of the story before judging Lena as egotistical, or whatever.

I don't know the whole story, myself... but it's not unfathomable that Lena and her family just wanted a change from Joe. He's very demanding, and that may not be what Lena needs from still being weak from Mono... and having trouble dealing with being in a huge slump since she's reached her highest level.

The one thing I do know about Lena, is she would not intentionally make things harder for herself... she has as much dedication to her game as anyone on tour.

She'll bounce back from this slump soon enough, once her health is back, and she starts getting a few wins... Joe Giuliano or not.

auntie janie
Jul 13th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Lena, you are right, we don't know both sides of the story, and there are always two sides.

What we do know is that Elena is no good at tennis right now. Her situation is similar to Dokic's -- you have to wonder what is going on with them, mired in these slumps they can't find their ways out of.

Since Elena has left the coach who directed her rise and is currently slumping, some of us naturally tend to connect the two things and feel po'd at her. But as you say, maybe Elena just couldn't take him any more.

I am concerned, though, about the involvement of the family in these important decisions, and hope it is a smart family who understands pro tennis and makes decisions carefully, and not an interfering family as we see so often in tennis, making things harder for their kid.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2003, 04:19 PM
We're never going to know the whole story.
When Anna was interviewed in Georgia, she said: You know of me, you don't know me.
But what fun is posting if we can't critique our favorite players?

ys
Jul 13th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Yes, we won't know the story, but we know that young Russian players tend to behave in complete denial of logics and common sense when dealing with their coaches. Of all players, those , who were reasonable with their coaches ( Kafelnikov, Myskina, Zvonareva, Safina, Kuznetsova ) are or will be the ones most fully fulfilling their potential. Those who are stubborn and unpredictable ( Safin, Kournikova, Dementieva, Bovina ) are just wasting their talent.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I think since Anna's 2001 stress fracture, she has never had confidence in her tennis. Plus injuries.
I think Alyona deep down, doesn't want to be a big star. I'm not sure if she wants to fulfill her potential.

Pro sports, especially an individual sport, has lots of pressures. Lots of stress. Minor injuries. But you know all that.

We know Alyona's talent. If she wanted to do it, I think the sky's the limit. I believe that with Lena, too. Mentally, she's not ready, imo.

Dava
Jul 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Both Elena can be top 5 players!

tenn_ace
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:58 AM
we also know that Russian parents tend to pretend they know how to coachand don't let their girls make the choices... Lena D. is a great example.

auntie janie
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:25 AM
That is what is upsetting to me; the precedents are bad, as ys pointed out so starkly. I never pictured that Elena Bovina would end up in that group. :(

Well, we will see soon enough what the story is. At least there was no mention of the parents actually acting as coaches, thank God. :eek:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I must be missing something.
Kournikova has not played a full match on the WTA tour since she lost 6-4 in the third to Majoli in Sarasota. Anna has been injured.
And Alyona beat Justine and Lindsay back to back at AI. And right before that, she gave up one game against Hantuchova.
Who knows where Lena's future is going. But Nastya, Sveta, and Dinara have not left Alyona in their dust. Or am I wrong?