PDA

View Full Version : Another all Williams final!

Johno_uk
Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:46 PM
I don't want this thread to turn into a slanging match, with posters childishly insulting each others intelligence as usually happens!

What to people think about this happening once again. Will the level of competition make this a must see final, or are people fed up with the same old story????

Vicky88
Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
I won't be bothering to tune in, as I expect it will be the usual boring, non-event between the two of them. Couldn't care which of the Williams sisters wins.

korben
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Bad day for fans. Also some Williams fans might agree on Saturday when they get to watch yeat another zero excitement match.

LUXXXAS
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:17 PM
Great!!! I missed an all Williams final soooooo much:)

VS Fan
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:22 PM
In spite of all of the negative comments on this board, the "all Williams finals have CONSISTENTLY brought in HIGHER ratings on American TV than ANY other matchup.

People tune in that LOVE them.
People tune that HATE them.

It don't matter, ratings are ratings.

Wimanna
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:54 PM
Last years final wasn't that bad I think...I'm really looking forward to it... :) despite my fellow countrywomen were defeated today ;)

Timariot
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
You know, US TV ratings aren't everything...

In fairness, all-Belgian finals are also bad.

Julian
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:47 PM
You know the Williams' finals are getting better and better each time! Their best one was at the Australian Open this year IMO! I can't really commentate the all-Belgian final because they only had 1 but that one wasn't so exciting either. :(

Timariot
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:50 PM
You know the Williams' finals are getting better and better each time! Their best one was at the Australian Open this year IMO! I can't really commentate the all-Belgian final because they only had 1 but that one wasn't so exciting either. :(

Belgians have had several finals (thought only 1 slam final) and they've been generally bad.

korben
Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:22 PM
Belgians have had several finals (thought only 1 slam final) and they've been generally bad.

They have played 4 finals

2001 's-Hertogenbosch Justine won 6/4 3/6 6/3
2003 Berlin Justine won 6/4 4/6 7/5
2003 RG Justine won 0 & 4
2003 's-Hertogenbosch Kim won 6/7 (4) 3/0 ret.

Those two first finals meetings might have been pretty good :confused:

And agree that this years AO final was high quality. (not exciting but well played)

Cariaoke
Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:36 PM
how do I feel about it? I'm biased of course but...

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! :p

MLF
Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:44 PM
It's a grand slam final. I would be tuning in no matter who is competing.

I'm really happy Venus has made the final, was worried she might be losing a bit of interest. Another chance to see the top two players of an era compete.

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2003, 12:20 AM
How do I feel? Happy! :D:D:D:D:D Now my saturday is completely free, and I'll do something with my friends.

LucasArg
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:08 AM
I am very glad they reached the finals, they really deserve it. Venus deserves also to win this one ;)

Tratree
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:20 AM
I'm actually pretty excited about this one. I have not been a big fan of the all Williams slam finals, but this time I'm really pulling for Venus to win, especially after that gritty semifinal performance today. It's nothing personal to the sisters, it's everyone else's sorry ass problem that they can't get to the final..but on the whole I have not found them all that exciting to this point, especially with Serena winning all four. C'mon Vee....it's time to stand up and be counted big sis! :bounce:

ashwu
Jul 4th, 2003, 05:39 AM
yeah, it is the first time i want an all-williams final. henin lost her sportsmanship in france, and venus is really growing up to a great champion! i am looking forward to the final

Libertango
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:12 AM
:bounce: :worship: :worship: :bounce:

Of course I'll be happy whoever wins really, but deep down I'm rooting for Venus.

GO GIRLS!!! (Venus.....;) )

great smash
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Whenever you get a 'mixed' final, it's more interesting to the general public. It is so much easier to take sides, and the actual outcome of the match is more important. To most people the outcome this time is that A Williams will have won, just as in Paris A Belgian won.

This being said, the two best players these two weeks have made it to the final, and we'll have to settle for it.

Hoping for a Williams-Belgian (or whatever two nationalities) final in New York!

Experimentee
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:20 AM
I'm looking forward to it. I think the matches they play against each other are getting better and better all the time. This time Venus will really want to win and she is playing really well, the only thing is the injury might hamper her. Serena is also out to win after her FO disappointment.

power26
Jul 4th, 2003, 04:26 PM
i am so sorry for those who don't like it.... so maybe they better pray that this won't happen for the next five or more years.... and if other players don't want it also... then try to prevent the sisters heheheheeheh. BESIDES, no one is really close to prevent them... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ...
AND HEY THIS IS THE SIXTH TIME ALREADY HAHAHAHAHAH HA A AHA HA HA HA

WTA IS WILLIAMS TENNIS ASSOCIATION
WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!

Mrs. Peel
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Whenever you get a 'mixed' final, it's more interesting to the general public. It is so much easier to take sides, and the actual outcome of the match is more important. To most people the outcome this time is that A Williams will have won, just as in Paris A Belgian won.

This being said, the two best players these two weeks have made it to the final, and we'll have to settle for it.

Hoping for a Williams-Belgian (or whatever two nationalities) final in New York!

I always look forward to this match up in the Grand Slams only because according to the tennis pundits this wasn't supposed to happen. I love that it happens over and over again. :D :p When it comes down to it, whether boring :rolleyes: or not, it comes down to the two best players over the past two weeks.

Their finals have progrssively gotten better..the AO final as a prime example. Venus barring injury will fight and if you look at Serena's face during Venus' match against Kim, at 5-1 she looked a little concerned realizing that Venus was going to be her opponent. GOOOOO VENUS.

And for all those people who say that they won't be watching, they WILL be tuning in. How do you know if it's boring if you do not watch? :confused: They ratings do mean alot...and the Williams Sisters score high EVERY time...people want to watch HISTORY and want to talk about the phenomenon. Advertisers follow suit because they want to put their dollars where it COUNTS.

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I'm really tired of all-Williams finals, because I'm not nuts about their style of play, but it certainly doesn't mean I don't think they don't deserve it - they really do. I really miss the old Hingis-Davenport matches and the late 1990s. But, heck, they are the best and I will be tuning in to watch. Good luck to both! :)

RYN
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I miss Hingis vs Venus the most

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM
That too...

darrinbaker00
Jul 4th, 2003, 08:51 PM
To all the people who don't like Venus-Serena Grand Slam finals, I say this: don't be mad at them, be mad at the other 126 women in the draw for not preventing it. In fact, be especially mad at Kim Clijsters, because she SHOULD have prevented it.

By the way, VENUS WILL WIN!!

treufreund
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:03 PM
yes it is kinda anti-climatic because you don't feel a real rivalry. But I will pull for SERENA to win. :D

korben
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM
To all the people who don't like Venus-Serena Grand Slam finals, I say this: don't be mad at them, be mad at the other 126 women in the draw for not preventing it.

Ummm. No not mad at them. They are best players on grass. And speking of other 126Ž"my favorites" did very well to make it to last 32 and 64 respectivly.

Not that (fill iin) that would have thought that thay actually win this. Only handfull of ladies that can, without injuries. So have fun. IŽll watch girls semifinal while others watch ladies final :p

Couver
Jul 4th, 2003, 11:13 PM
YAY! #6 All Willie Final under way.

I love em cause I don't have to really worry about the outcome. Although this time I do.

Plus come on who doesn't like seeing all the bitter little buggers on this board squirm and gripe about it all day long? Even after the final is over LMFAO.

azza
Jul 5th, 2003, 12:41 AM
:o :o OMG YES A WILLIAMS FINAL :o:o

Nippon_UK
Mar 20th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Quite frankly, I'm bored watching Williams vs. Williams over and over and over again. But then, Clijsters vs. Henin-Hardenne is becoming a bit of a bore!!

Wimbledon
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
:o :tape: hj