PDA

View Full Version : WTA Tournament of Brussels

Brαm
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Lots of questions:

When does the tournament start?

Does anyone here know who will play there? (seeds, wild cards...)

What level of tournament is this? (tier III?)

Are any of you going?

:wavey:

Josh
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:25 AM
July 8th - 14th

Tier IV ($140,000)

arn
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:39 AM
I would guess Justine will play, but I don't think Kim will.

I only know it's created to give starting (belgian) players a change to climb in the ranks

What surface is it anyway?

Brαm
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:51 AM
I must be Clay, since it's only a couple of weeks before Roland Garros.

I think Callens will play here (WC). I don't know if Justine will play. Does she still play Tier IV-tournaments.....?

Are there any Walloon junior or starting players :confused:

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:03 AM
It is carpet/indoors! :)

It is Tier II! :)

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Oops! That is Brussels? :o Sorry... I thought that is Antwerp! :rolleyes:

Josh
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:04 AM
That's ANtwerp Alex...Brussels is Tier IV and played on clay (it used to be the Sanex Trophy held in Knokke-Heist and won by Iroda last year)

Emilie Bacquet will probably receive a WC.

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:09 AM
The tournament called The French Community Championships! :o What a bad tournament name!

Josh
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:22 AM
I don't like the name either...Sanex Trophy was so much better.

Justinator
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Bram, the tournament is the week after Wimbledon.

And no Justine will not play here cause there's Fed Cup the week after, so she will be preparing with the Belgian team.

Justinator
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:30 AM
Oh I forgot, that's indeed the most stupid name I've heard for a Tennis tournament

arn
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:42 AM
pff, If Justine is not coming I bet they will have trouble to pay all the bills! It will be one of those tournaments with only 50 people watching the final!

per4ever
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:03 PM
and I don't think Justine wants to play Tier IV.

A topplayer shouldn't play those tourni's

Mercury Rising
Jan 27th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Auch what a http://www.plauder-smilies.com/madgo.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.com/eviltongue.gif name. Typical Belgian I guess :rolleyes:

How did they come up with this :confused:

Brαm
May 26th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Elke is playing :bounce:

She got a wild card :D

E. Blackadder
May 26th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Kim and Justine aren't even allowed to play these tournies I heard! They are too good.

I think most wildcards will go to belgian players: Elke Clijsters, Els Callens, Daphne Van de Zande,...

E. Blackadder
May 26th, 2002, 07:15 PM
I also heard Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is coming!

Brαm
May 26th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Yep, Arantxa is top seed! :)

Els & Elke got a WC. I don't think Daphne will get one. She'll play qualifying, I think. I hope Caroline Maes gets a WC!

Frau Antje
May 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
I will go to the qualifying

minboy
May 27th, 2002, 08:17 PM
the french community is the main sponsor of the event...so I guess the name has something to do with it. TOurnaments like Pacific life open, Sparkassencup, Eurocard german open, and others which include the name of the sponsor aren't that great neither!!!

And also it seems like they really wanted people to think of it as a french-speaking event...so, very stupid indeed!!!!

turt
May 28th, 2002, 06:04 AM
What's wrong with this tournament's name? :confused:
I mean, a lot of tournaments have their commercial partner's name, just look at Antwerp (PROXIMUS diamond games) and 80% of the other WTA tournies...
Is that a problem with the words "French Community"? So what about the cycling team "Vlaanderen 2002"?
I'm sorry but I think you can't blame the "French community" (actually it's a strange name as it must be now called "Wallonia-Brussels Community"... but it is another debate :p ) for trying to offer some professional tennis to Belgian people!