PDA

View Full Version : Was 2002 OZ Open the toughest ever?

Jakeev
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:18 AM
I think we all know the extreme conditions Jennifer and Martina had to play in yesterday. It was mentioned a lot by the commentators so the question is, was this final the toughest ever in Grand Slam history?

I have been watching tennis since 1981, and I myself don't remember seeing such a tough final. The 1985 Evert/Navratilova and 1992 Seles/Graf French Open finals I always thought had been tough matches, but nothing compared to what I had to see yesterday.

Any thoughts?

Tratree
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Definitely the toughest conditions a slam final has been played in. It would have been rough if Jen was actually in the match before 4-0 in the second set, but having to come back so far in those kind of conditions was unthinkable. Both women are to be commended.

Becool
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:25 AM
For me was the worse AUSOpen ever :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:07 AM
bump

Barrie_Dude
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Yeah, it was a tough final for the women. And on the mens side, it was tough. I mean all the top seeds getting bumped so early. Wow!

veryborednow
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:14 AM
It's not often that you see physically very fit athletes needing to stop after each point - that was a clear indication of how tough it was out there.

I was impressed that both players were still conscious at the end of the match even though Martina was suffering from heat illness.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Lets face it, by the end of the 3rd set they were BOTH suffering big time. It was Brutal out there!

Jakeev
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Oh yeah barrie-dude. I thought they would have to carry Jennifer up the podium during the awards ceremony.

Still, I think Martina wilted faster after she lost game five in the third set. She just didn't look like she had any more in her.

Lolita
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:43 AM
This 2002 Oz Open is such a nightmare !
First of all i lost ANNA
and Then it WAs MARTINA's turn !!
I cryied so,so and so mush to no avail

Please Help

Dawn Marie
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:00 PM
The final was tough but the overall slam was not.

Serena was gone early had no Lindsay, no Pierce, Venus was hurt. Jelena absent. Infact I honestly think that if these players were 100% healthy that Jen and Hingis would not have gone as far. I think this slam was pretty boring imho, something was missing, besides Serena.:)

Jakeev
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
You are entitled to your opinion in which I totally don't agree with, but how bout sticking to the topic at hand would you......

Sam L
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Yes the conditions were pretty bad and quite unnecessary. They should do something about it. The roof is there after all! :rolleyes:

Extreme conditions don't bring out the best tennis.

I mean seriously did anyone think the final was high quality tennis at all? It was sooo boring... error filled with both players taking 10 second breaks after each point.

Give me the mild weather of Paris, London or New York (during grand slams that is) anyday where you actually get quality tennis and not players testing out their endurance or their ability to overcome heat.

Dawn Marie
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Uh okay Jakeev but maybe you should read your title or topic heading .. lmao

Note your topic is different then your first paragraph UNDER the topic . Maybe you should have said Was the 2002 OZ open the toughest FINAL ever??

Anyhow I answered both the question/s. Smarty pants:P

"Was 2002 OZ Open the toughest ever? 2002 OZ open was more then just the final. Anyhow my first answer went with your heading under the topic. I answered BOTH questions my lil honeybun:)

TeeRexx
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Dawn - You are a classic. You almost answered exactly what I was thinking.

1. This AO was NOT the toughest overall slam ever.
2. It was NOT the most mentally stressful final (1999 RG final).
3. It WAS, without doubt, the most PHYSICALLY taxing WOMENS GS final in recent times.

Williams Rulez
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Toughest final - probably.... it was played under such extreme heat.

Dawn Marie
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Toughest final but not the toughest Slam ever to have exist. It lacked 100% healthy tough opponents through out imho.:)

Jakeev
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Yeah sorry about that dawn marie....can you actually edit a topic name?

But really that is what I was looking for was if anyone thought this was the toughest final played.....I have to disagree with TeeRex that is was NOT mentally stressing. It wasn't just a physical match.

TeeRexx
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Reading comprehension time:

It was NOT the most mentally stressful final (1999 RG final).

Not the MOST .... :p

Jakeev
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Hey TeeRex kiss my big fat juicy %$#@.......please:kiss:

Dawn Marie
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:49 PM
No problem Jakeev, but I really thought you meant the entire Open. No i don't think you can edit a topic name because when I try it woun't let me.:)

Jakeev
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Oh honey Sylvia Plath does not rule..........email me

Dawn Marie
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Now what is so wrong with Silvia Plath?? I like her poetry. :p

Keith
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Players play through injury and pain all the time. Jennifer won the French last year with tendonitis in her knee, she won this year with several injuries...And Jen never blames her losses on those injuries.

I hate when people (or players for that matter) make excuses about their player being injured. It is the nature of the beast. And it is an attempt to devalue the accomplishments of the winner. Poor fansmanship, In my opinion.

Bright Red
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie:

The final was tough but the overall slam was not.

Couldn't agree more. Without Lindsay, Serena, Jelena, it was only at 70% attendance. Has that ever happened at the AO in the past?

Venus had injuries and wasn't at her fullest. Monica had a cough. Jennifer had thigh trouble.

It would really surprise me if this was the toughest AO ever, unless you mean it was tough to maintain a strong field of contenders.

TeeRexx
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:51 AM
Jakeev - Don't get mad at me. :eek:

Just try and read SLOWER and concentrate more on the big, TWO syllable words and you MAY remember more of what you read, buddy. :p :wavey:

Jakeev
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:34 AM
I am not mad at you TeeRex!!!!! I really do want you to have your way with my big, fat juicy %^$#........

I mean I said please:hearts: hehehe

(yeah I know i screwed this one up, but I guess we can't edit subjects)

TeeRexx
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:40 AM
Sorry, J, but I would rather have SERENA'S big, juicy butt, not yours. :p

Hmmm, at one time we couls edit topics. Things have changed in here. :confused: :wavey:

Jakeev
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:41 AM
Who said anything about my butt TeeRex? ;) :p