PDA

View Full Version : Hingis may have been in more legendary Grand Slam matches than any other player

TeeRexx
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Martina Hingis may now have been in some of the most memorable tennis Grand Slam matches ever played.
Here are a few:

1. 1999 vs Graf in Roland Garos final
2. 1999 vs VENUS in U.S. Open semi final
3. 1999 vs SERENA in U.S. Open final
4. 2000 vs VENUS in Wimbledon qtr. final
5. 2000 vs VENUS in U.S. Open semi final
6. 2001 vs Capriati in Australian Open final
7. 2002 vs Capriati in Australian Open final

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020126/capt.1012037258australian_open_mel158.jpg

Hingis is still quite young and there will be more GS highlights to come.:)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Hopefully we'll see her on the winning end of some great matches to come :)

wongqks
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:17 AM
I agree, I mean Martina at her best really match well with any player in the world, especially the hard hitters, it is so sad to see that when she has a chance to win, she did not have enough weapons for her to pull it through. But just think in a positive way she is only 21, I mean there 's at least 8-9 years of tennis left for her, so I won't be disappointed at all, although she did lose the last 5 grand slam final which is really bad, coz the more she lose the more times when she get close she cannot close it.

thefreedesigner
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:18 AM
I really hope so, Tee. :)

Gumbycat
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Hi Tee Rexx :D.
You have to feel sorry for anybody that loses a match when they were up 6-4 4-0 AND had 4 match points.

Martina really needs to re-tool her serve if she wants to taste Grand Slam Championships again. Lindsay was out, Serena was out and Venus was not 100%. She had Jennifer on the ropes in the final but her serve was no threat. She really needs to go for her serves because when the big girls get healthy, it is going to get REAL TOUGH.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Martina brings drama to the court

Tennis needs her.

I hope she sticks around the top and can start to win big events again.

Yesterday was a little too sad.

Fingon
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:10 AM
We always fight Tee Rexx, but this thread was very classy from you :)

anyways, it seems one of the few times you are complementary toward Martina I have to disagree.

I don't think she is going to win a GS again, and Gumby, I don't think the problem is her serve, it was working quite well, the problem is her attitude and this defeat won't make it better.

saki
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Well of course she's been in some fantastic matches, but the most that anyone ever has?

Anyone remember Navratilova, Evert, Seles, Graf, Sanchez-Vicario?

TeeRexx
Jan 27th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Hi, Gumby. Good to hear from you.
It was a classic tough loss, but it was a physical breakdown from the heat, like VENUS in 1999, not a mental breakdown or choke.

SK - Steffi avatar looks great.

shirley
Jan 27th, 2002, 06:40 PM
The 1999 French Open final v Steffi Graf was sheer class. I'll never forget that (ever!)

irma
Jan 27th, 2002, 06:46 PM
the most classic match Martina ever played will always be the quarters of philadelphia 98 though:D(oh how I wished I had seen that third set:D)

TeeRexx
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Shirley - That French is an absolute classic. That underhanded serve to Steffi made me dislike her, but now I have learned to appreciate Hingis after this AO final.

Julian
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Absolutely TeeRexx. :)

evaz
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:50 PM
that's right - I can still remember 99 RG final and the 99 US Open semifinals.

she'll have many more chances to win a Grand Slam tourney :)

Rubylips
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Lady did her best.pROUD OF HINGIS.sHE HAS NOTHING TO BE SHAME OF.She give it her all.

FP
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:42 PM
YES demnitt he i mean Fingon is right her problem not her game it's all about attitude...
"I believe in myself" how many times she said those words??? Bulsh**t she does not. Now she needs psychilogist...

Capriati and Hingis played at the same conditions but Capriati could force herself to win it and Hingis not,
WHY
"no matter win or lose, just have it behind me" this is her answer...
No comments...

Brαm
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:57 PM
FP, what are you???

A Hingis fan or a Hingis hater?? :confused:

ys
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Hingis style is contrasting to any other style, that's why her matches are always exciting. And last final loss was the one in which she deserved least to be defeated. There should be some frames of conditions where tennis should not be played. I don't see much difference between playing in +104F heat or playing under rain. Both cases can be dangerous for health.

tenn_ace
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:21 PM
nice thread, TeeRexx. Thank you.:wavey:

junkartist
Jan 28th, 2002, 11:14 PM
How impressive...6 consecutive Australian Open Finals...:cool: