PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Martina Hingis to stop playing doubles in the grand slams?

the cat
Jan 26th, 2002, 08:58 PM
I say yes. Did playing doubles cost her the 2002 Australian Open women's title? I can't say it did. But I can say that the doubles matches she played at the Australian Open this year, and all the time she spent on court playing doubles, took a little something out of her. Do you agree?

I don't want to hear about how doubles keeps Martina sharp. Jennifer Capriati din't play doubles this year. Did she? And she's alot stronger than Martina to begin with. Jennifer stayed plenty "sharp" without playing doubles.

Martina is still looking for a career grand slam in singles. She doesn't need doubles taking away from her singles play at this years French Open. I can just see Martina making the final. But she has to play a time consuming 3 set doubles match the day before. It's happened before. And it will happen again. Unless she stops playing doubles in the grand slams. Besides, how many doubles grand slam titles does she need anyway? She's won all of the grand slam doubles titles a couple of times each.

I've wondered this for years. Why isn't the Australian Open women's doubles final played before the men's singles final on Sunday? Why do they insist on playing the women's doubles final on Friday, the day before the women's singles final? I don't get it.

I hope Martina can emotionally recover from such a devastating defeat.

irma
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:00 PM
she didn`t play doubles at the french, wimbledon and us open 2001 and did she win the titles?

the cat
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:09 PM
I forgot to mention that the Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova tandem is my favorite doubles team. So, I don't want them to break up. But just playing singles might be best for Martina's singles success in the grand slams.

Irma, you make a good point. But did Martina's Australian Open doubles title this year, and all the many hours she spent playing doubles help or hurt her chances of winning the singles title. I think it hurt her chances. You are free to diagree. The day before her 1997 French Open final, Martina played a very long doubles match that took about three hours to play. Did that help her for her singlkes final> I don't think so. Martina was as flat as a pancake for the final against Iva Majoli.

This is just food for thought.

endiadjendiadj
Jan 26th, 2002, 10:22 PM
marti was cruising up, what, 4/1 or 5/1 in the first set and had to hang on to win. then she was again cruising up 4/1 or 5/1 in the second set with 4 match point but couldn't close it out.

the doubles play wasn't hurting her when she was up big in both set with several championship points, did it? marti choked, plain and simple. she almost choked against seles in the semis. it wasn't the doubles. it wasn't the heat it was all upstairs(head).

imo, marti's main problem is her serve. her weak first and second serves just don't allow her to close out matches. she really needs to work on it.

all that said, i really wanted mer to win. she looked heartbroken after the match was over.

angele87
Jan 26th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Yeah I gotta disagree with the cat. I don't think she lost againt Jen because she played doubles and I don't think doubles is hurting her... if anything, it helps. And I know you said don't say it keeps her sharp and Jen doesn't play doubles and she's sharp blah blah blah but I think it does help her stay sharp because Martina's game is more finess than power (like Jen) and I think Martina does need to stay sharp because if she doesn't she can't just overpower her opponents like Jennifer, Venus and Lindsay can!

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Doubles can only help Martina not hinder her, so I also disagree playing doubles had anything to do with her losing yesterday.

Martina is stronger and fitter than I think she has ever been. She got a bit unlucky yesterday against Capriati but her playing doubles did not have anything to do with it.

Randy H
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:55 AM
I think playing doubles has helped her, not harmed her. She went a long period without playing much doubles at all, and to me, it seemed like her net skills had gone down significantly from what they were before. Missing easy put aways into the net and long, and not doing enough with them. I didn't see that this tournament though - I thought her volleying looked pretty sharp, she looked comfortable coming in and putting away the volleys again, and that seemed a crucial part to her getting to the finals because she's not going to end a whole lot of points early from the baseline.

Yes it may cause a bit more fatigue, but Martina needs her net game, and she also needs to be in as best shape possible so I think playing doubles again is a good move on her part.

auntie janie
Jan 27th, 2002, 05:26 AM
I agree with everybody that doubles is good for Martina's game, but I also agree with the cat that playing doubles IN THE SLAMS can, SOMETIMES, hurt her chances in the singles.

Martina admitted as much in her post-match interview.

Given the intense heat on the day of the doubles final, and the fact that Martina was out there in that sun for almost two hours that day, while Jennifer had the chance to recover from her tough semi, in THIS SPECIFIC TOURNAMENT, it seems obvious the doubles hurt Martina's chances in that final.

moby
Jan 27th, 2002, 05:34 AM
definitely not

doubles help out marti
the wins will help to boost her confidence (this is going by the assumption that she'll always win :o )

Phoenix
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:56 PM
totally agree with angle :cool: