PDA

View Full Version : What a weird Australian Open

Gallofa
Jan 26th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Did any player do what we expected them to do or what?

In my mind, the Williams sisters are always fav going into any tourney, and even before it all starts we lose Serena, who retires because they do not want to move her match, and then, Conchita and Lina end up playing the following day anyway! - Then I think Conchita will make it through that side of the draw, but surprise! she's gone in the second round to Asa!

We also get Zanetti and Husarova (who ever followed their careers?) doing great. Good for them. Will this be a one-time thing?

Then, Monica gets a great victory over Venus, and I am thinking... hmmmm... maybe Monica can do it.... while Hingis keeps spanking people all over her side of the draw.

Meanwhile, here in the Board we talk about the "belgian" sisters, about Rios and the best outfits.

Then Martina defeats Seles and we all KNOW it's Martina's moment, it has come, she'll win it again! it's high time for her (my own words here ;)). Even some people start to critic Martina again, you know how it is, if she's going to win, we have to point out all of her short-comings :D

Was it Chris Ba who pointed out yesterday that Jen was proving all us wrong? Huh? Jen? didn't realise she was playing! I did heard something about an ugly pink outfit ;) but there she is. Winning. Again.

Stand up all of you (non fans) who thought Jen was going to win. :D

Williams Rulez
Jan 26th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Not me :o

Congrats to her though!! She amazed me totally!! :bounce: :bounce:

Aloysius
Jan 26th, 2002, 08:12 PM
I picked Jennifer to repeat after the third round, and I don't even like her. I prayed for Martina to prove my intuition wrong. Even at 4-6 0-4, I felt that something wasn't right about that score. But I finally realized what it was at 4-6 7-6 6-2 though. :rolleyes:

It was a weird tournament this year. But the stars shone through to the end and that's what counted the most. As for the men, well... better luck next time, lads. ;)

SerenasMelons
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:41 PM
What a horrible Australian Open!

There were so many technical difficulties. So many lets called becuase the cyclops was screwing up! Lets called because the let machine was acting up. And that airplane display during Monica and Martina's match...the tourney organizers should be ashamed of themselves for not taking care of that.

This is the first time I've watched the AUS Open live on TV. And I hate it. It hurts to watch the heat, and the players suffering. I think the heat affected Martina alot, but not to take anything away from Capriati, because she obviously withstood the physical toughness because of her strength and conditioning.