PDA

View Full Version : My Fourth Round Predictions

katoles2003
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Serena Williams vs. Elena Dementieva
I think Serena is playing very well right now, she will be tough to beat.
Serena 6-3 6-3

Jennifer Capriati vs. Anastasia Myskina
Jen has been playing really well but so has Myskina, It is going to be an intresting match, but I think Jen will pull through.
Jen 6-4 7-6

Justine Henin-Hardenne vs. Mary Pierce
Surprise for Mary to be here but she has played well so she deserves to be here. I don't think Justine has been playing her best since she got that injury and might have trouble with Pierce but I think will win in 3.
Justine 6-4, 5-7, 6-2

Maria Sharapova vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova
This is going to be a very intriguing match. They have both been playing extremely well. It could very well be a LONG 3 set match. I pick Maria
6-4, 3-6, 6-4

Lindsay Davenport vs. Shinobu Asagoe
This is a very good result for Shinobu, grass is obviously her best surface. She can give Lindsay some trouble, but not much. My pick is Lindsay
6-2, 6-2

Venus Williams vs. Vera Zvonareva
This is the match that I have been waiting for. The revenge match. I have seen Venus in all of her matches and boy she is going to challenge for this title! She was superb against Petrova. I don't think Zvonareva can keep up on this day and Venus will not be challenged.
Venus 6-2, 6-1

Silvia Farina Elia vs. Paola Suarez
This is a surprise match up for me. I really don't know what to say as clay is both of their best surfaces. It could get interesting. I pick Silvia in straights.
Silvia 6-4, 6-4

Ai Sugiyama vs. Kim Clijsters
This is an intriguing match. Ai beat Kim on hard court at Scotsdale, but Kim got her revenge on clay. Kim is playing extremely well right now but so is Ai to get to this point. I pick Kim in 3.
Kim 6-4, 3-6, 6-2

Any thoughts to my predictions? Thanks

brunof
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I pretty much agree with all your match winners, although I would like to see Shinobu challenge a bit more in the Lindsay match. I honestly think she can.

Peter M
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Agree with all results.

They will all win in 2 sets, though.

Steffica Greles
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:56 PM

In some areas, Elena is well equipped to deal with Serena's power and send some back. I don't see Elena being overpowered in many fierce rallies. Her forehand is probably harder than Serena's, if less reliable.

However, Dementieva possesses, closely followed by Dokic and Capriati, probably the most unreliable service action in the higher echelons of women's tennis - not to mention a matching mentality. That puts her immediately on the back foot.

Serena in 2 comfortable sets.

Jen should be the favourite, but I just don't think she's got the edge that she had two years ago, or even of 12 months ago when she was still top 3 and leading contender to the Williams'.

If Myskina can trouble Jen from the start - and she has the game to do so - I see a shock in this match. I don't see Myskina being intimidated.

If Jen is at her best, though, she's through. But I'll go out on a limb and pick Myskina!

Mary is playing devastating tennis, but these days she doesn't cover the court as well, is a few dress sizes larger than 3 years ago, and her infamous "love" streaks don't last as many matches.

Moreover, Justine's had a year of maturity since beating Lindsay in Australia. She believes in herself, knows how to break down raw power, has developed the ability to expose poor movement, and most importantly, has honed some of her own power.

That said, Mary could still come out playing blitzkreig tennis, as of old. It wouldn't last for long, even if she did.

Justine in 3 sets. 1st set to Mary.

I've yet to see Kuznetsova, so I shall look forward to doing so. She's had a quiet year, after a great latter half of 2002. She's certainly a big prospect.

But I feel if Sharapova can beat a Dokic playing near the level we would expect of her, added to her recent success on grass, Sharapova will beat Navratilova's young doubles partner in two close sets.

Sharapova in two close sets.

This all depends on whether Asagoe can expose Lindsay's poor movement as SO many players are now doing, and whether she can cope with not only Lindsay's overwhelming ball speed, but also the weight of her shots. And if Lindsay's serve is on, as it has seemed to be, can she return it?

Every player has always known Lindsay's achilies heal - her lack of flexibility. Yet it is only this year that I have seen players outside the top 5 able to expose it. And when Lindsay is moved around, she doubts her shots, as has been the case throughout her career, and particularly this year.

So the bottom line is, if Asagoe can ruffle Lindsay by retrieving and counter attacking, she can actually win.

But I don't see it happening. Lindsay in two, possibly three.

Vera Zvonareva is my new favourite young player. This girl has impressed me with her guts, steel, tenacity, resolve and fearlessness in a way no other of her mould has done since Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario.

In fact, I really do see Vera is many ways as being like Aranxta.

But would we have expected Sanchez-Vicario to beat an alert Venus playing near her best - as I think she will be - on grass? No.

So there's the result: two sets to love for Venus.

This match is the least interesting (if I may say so) and could go either way. I favour Farina- Elia as on the few occasions I've seen Suarez, she's more of a heavy top spin clay courter. Silvia has more variation and better slice. In short, she'll beat Suarez at her own game with more variation. Farina is also 31. She knows this may well be her last chance to do well at a slam.

Farina-Elia in two.

Ai has really (finally?) come of age this year after a relatively stagnant Likhovtseva come Barbara Schett-type last four years. And she hits the ball just beautifully.

I just don't think that Kim will let this one go, though. She's ready for what Ai can do after Scottsdale, and will have that little more power and athleticism.

Kim in two close, competitive sets.

maximus82
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:35 AM
My thoughts:

-Serena is playing solid tennis right now. Not spectacular by any means, but her opponents haven't forced her to play at that level. I think Dementieva will be the first person to force Serena to up her game. If, for some reason, Serena can't, she could lose. However, Serena is tops among the women as kicking her game up a notch. I expect we'll see that and she will get through in two sets.

-An interesting match-up...I would say the match more relies upon Jennifer's shoulders than Anastasia's. Jen-Jen has played solid tennis this week, her serve hasn't been as poor as it has been in previous tournaments, so I'm thinking we will see a rematch of the 2001 QF between 'rena and the Capster.

If Mary had an easier scoreline vs. Raymond, I think she might enter this match a slight favorite. However, since it was a close three-set win, you have to think that Pierce has dropped down a notch from the invulnerable level she hit in the first two rounds. Henin will take this match unless her injury causes her problems (due to interfering with confidence/concentration).

Woo hoo! Two russian babes in the 4th round means we will see at least one russian QFist at Wimbledon this year! While Sharapova has shown incredible mental toughness so far, I think that she will face a big challenge in her countrywoman. Kuznetsova is another up and comer...one who has a much better net game that Maria, who can turn to Navratilova for guidance, and has more big match experience. I think Sharapova will win the first, but after facing a challenge early in the second will fold.

I really don't see how Shinobu will take this one unless Lindsay is way off with her groundstrokes. I've come to really like Asagoe after watching her match vs. Lee live and vs. Hantuchova on television, but the big-hitting Californian just hits the ball much harder than any of the other players 'bu has faced. Lindsay in two comfy sets.

This is the match that I have been waiting for as well. I'd be incredibly shocked if Vera won this match (more so than I was at the French)...but I think Vera will play solid enough tennis to really push Venus and force Vee to play top quality tennis...something Venus has not done yet this tournament. If Venus is off, then Vera's consistant deep shots will give the Big Bomber problems...but you get the feeling that Venus is hungry and will step up to the plate.

Ugh. How did Paola Suarez make it this far at Wimbledon? She had so few wins in singles on grass so far, her getting this far is a major shock. Farina Elia is a bit of a surprise as well...but she has had some good grass wins in the past. Have to favor Silvia in this one.

I think on any other surface this would be more interesting...but despite what some people have been touting, Ai is not a great grass player...she looked rather blah on court in her match vs. Ahl and while she has stepped up her game some since, her counter-punching style just doesn't seem enough to take down a player of Kim's level...Kim in straights.

So Serena vs. Jenn, Henin vs. Kuznetsova, Linds vs. Vee, Farina Elia vs. Clijsters....with (obviously) the more interesting quarters being the 1st and 3rd sections.