PDA

View Full Version : Capriati is disgusting!

Mon's boy
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:13 AM
I cant believe what i just saw. she told the umpire 2 'shut the hell up' and 'get the fucken referee'! what a disgusting dirty bitch. i feel like spitting on her. how can she act like that? shes supposed 2 b no.1 in da world and a role model 4 young kids. + shes a lady, and now thats not a very ladylike way 2 act, is it? jennifer really needs 2 get some manners. what a loser, seriously.

NJjeff
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:16 AM
I call that passion, and though my heart goes out to Martina and her fans, Jen actually was the winner in the match. Honesly, why all the fuss? Who doesn't curse in the heat of the moment... I know I do....my bad.

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:20 AM
I didn't agree with Jennifers behavior, but I give credit to the umpire, she did not give Jennifer a warning on it, then balanced it out by not giving Martina a warnig for smashing her racquet...I don't care what the umpires do, as along as they are consistent in doing it, the umpire today was very fair, she set a precedent and stuck to it :)

Daniel
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:22 AM
But she is always like that, Why are you surprised? She doesn't know how to behave well.

Don't forget that poor lady had mental problems some years ago.

:) :) :) :) :)

selesfan
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Daniel, that is not very nice, Martina has had her share of behaving badly also so you shouldn't throw stones.

NJjeff
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:25 AM
mental problems? now that's a stretch...a minor drug offense, and a petty shoplighting charge, nothing at all to be proud of.... but mental problems? give me a break..

AjdeNate!
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:26 AM
+ a battery charge, but that's hardly equal to mental issues....

Keith
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:26 AM
It takes an idiot like Daniel to start a message board war.

Tammy
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:27 AM
danny seriously u know ur a good friend of mine but those last posts of urs weren't nice at all.. and u will receive un pleasant responses to them...

.. i know ur upset marti lost but still don't start mudslinging dear:kiss:

Daniel
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well this thread is called: Capriati is disgusting, Why should I say something nice about her?

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Please read my post again, I'm sure it is how most Marti fans feel :)

Phoenix
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
well
i agree with monboy the way jen
behave isn't so well
but hingis doesn't show better though
imo they should think a lot of kids watching
their match :o ;)

Rollo
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Well said Adrian:)

If fighting through 4 match points down is a sign of mental instability-send me some of that "craziness":)

It would be nice if Jen apologized at some point to the linesperson. If she were a man, I doubt there would be so much about this. Safin was much worse the other day.

Keith
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:33 AM
It was emotional for them both. And Adrian, I know how most hingis fans feel. I am not going to argue with Daniel.

Dawn Marie
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:42 AM
*looking around at all the Williams fans in here * Well it seems that their aren't any.. *Poof* I am gone.

selesfan
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:44 AM
LOL@Dawn Marie!:)

disposablehero
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:46 AM
That's the two reasons I was rooting for Martina in this match:

#1: Because she hasn't won one in 3 years.

#2: Because Jen is an uncultured bitch who thinks her success gives her the right to degrade people.

hingis rulz
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:49 AM
i mean if it had been Hingis then everyone would be in here bashing her right now!!!!!! But no cos its Jen of course not!!!!!

BTW i just want to say that I believe Jen didnt win the match Martina simply hit too many errors and lost it!

GO MARTINA!!!!!

Keith
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:52 AM
People are bashing Jen.

And the ones that are bashing her are for the same reason they bashed Martina and the Williams....

She beat their fave and as the number one player, is naturally a target.

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Not all are bashing Jennyfan, in fact, I think most on the board feel like I do.

If Martina had been given a warning, then I would of felt different, but the umpire was fair across the board....as for the whole thing, it was passion from both sides, the umpire saw that and acted accordingly

disposablehero
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Explain me then? Monica kicks Jens ass, 2 times out of every 3, since the beginning of time. I'm not a fan of Martina.

Jen has been acting this way ever since her little "Grand Slam" dream got crushed at Wimbledon. Or maybe she was acting this way before and we just didn't notice.

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Look, DH, I was disgusted as most with her choice of language, the umpire decided not to react and not act, she chose the same when Martina broke her racquet..it became even after that and after Martina came back, she stated to the umpire, that she had been more then fair with both, but lets stick to the rules from here on in, Hingis duly recieved a racquet abuse 2 games later..All fair and above board, reguardless of our own person opinions....

Randy H
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:05 PM
People are always going to be extra crticial of a top ranked player, or winner of a slam, they are in the spotlight more, and that means more opportunity to find faults in them.

I'm certainly not saying I agree with Jennifer's attitude at times, but she's not the only one to throw a racquet, yell out loud, or even swear for that matter. Her attitude is also not something new (I recall at 2000 Wimbledon, Capriati refusing to continue her match against Basuki at Wimbledon 3rd round because there were a "loud ceremony" going on at the centre court that she could hear). The difference is that at 2000 Wimbledon, Capriati was not even a top 10 player, and the fact that she did this was not even heard by most.

Definetly agree with Adrian - Jennifer didn't act great the whole time, but Martina wasn't exactly the vision of god herself...and that's okay, the umpire treated both situations fairly, and neither was penalized more than the other which I think shows good credability.

per4ever
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:39 PM
that's Jen's character...and it's because she's so into the match. It's not something to be approved, but it shows she's a real winner.

Linton
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:45 PM
I am surprised that she didint get disqualified??!!, suspended. or lost a game due to that!!! what r some of the penalties that can effect people who swear tot he chairperson, linesman??

the_ancyent_marinere
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:53 PM
For Pete´s sake, PLEASE GIVE IT A REST!

SM
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:04 PM
its called showing emtion , we get it all the time on the mens tour with people like Lleyton and the spastic incident , goran and his huge no of outburts...etc but now its un"lady" like...

maybe jen did go a step too far but i think its great for women's tennis to showcase some DRAMA...and yes that involves the top players not just acting mechanically as iff their robots but getting annoyed and showing it !

well done JENNIFER! :) i think that outburst is what helped her win because it released all that anger and tension bottled up inside of her from the sloppy start! she needed to get it out...and played very determined to win like a true champion after that point

thefreedesigner
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Adrian, your first post is excellent, and summed it up.

De Jenken was really cool out there, didn't give in to jen's hiss-fit.

I don't know, I can't chime in with the 'jen is bad' theme at the moment - I'm still some what, 4 hours later in shock!!!!

There are many other points we can talk about in the match than what Jen was up to there. I actually thought 'uh-oh, rolling back the years', cause Jen had been so under control the whole tournament up until then.

BCP
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:32 PM
I've got to say that I am not a huge Jenny fan, but after today, I have so much more appreciation for her talent, fighting qualities, and graciousness. I thought her refernce to Martina in the speech was truly humble, and classy (and I'm not a Martina fan either):)

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:34 PM
The only think discusting here is this stupid thread:mad: How dare you say what a woman should be or not be. Jennifer Capriati is a powerful, passionate player and so what if she isn't always ladylike.

If it were a man behaving like that we would hardly be giving him a second look but what a taboo for a woman to show some anger and frustration.

God Bless you Jennifer and congratulations for a truly splendid match. Don't listen to your detractors and be who you are!!!!!!!

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Jakeev, there is a lot of positive stuff in this thread, go with that and ignore the negative :)

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:51 PM
i know Adrian it just irks me that people have to slam Jennifer for not being a "lady."

I just can't stand that.

evaz
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:55 PM
this is what i posted in another thread:

both players showed in their speeches that they really respect each other and so should we. they both gave really their best and they kept fighting til the end.

maybe jen said some things, which she shouldn't have said and Martina shouldn't have broken that racket out there - but emotions are also a part of tennis. in my opinion this is what makes all those player's special - they can't just win or lose without showing any emotions.

maybe we shouldn't judge if this behaviour was wrong or right or whatever - we don't know what it's like - playing at the centre court in front of so many people, the pressure of the media, the pressure you put on yourself, being nervous and also afraid of loosing.....

veryborednow
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:59 PM
In my eyes someone who is disgusting is someone who breaks the law in some kind of incomprehensible way.

Swearing does not make Jen distgusting, the language wasn't nice and I think she should apologise to the umpire, but it shows she cares and she is passionate about what she does and that makes me smile that she's fussed about the title enough to get riled up by a few points.

veryborednow
Jan 26th, 2002, 02:28 PM
I posted this somewhere else, but I think it belongs in here:

Personally I think behaviour on the court is quite unaccountable from the personality off the court. People change when in competitive situations because they want to win and because they care so much. Without these behaviours it would look like the players were just going about a normal match, but it wasn't, it was a grand slam final which was going to show important revelations about their characters to the rest of the tour.

By the hitting of rackets and swearing, we know that they are human and maybe we can all relate to that in some way.

Brilliant match, well worth the 2 hours sleep

Adrian
Jan 26th, 2002, 02:35 PM
I actually think this thread is dead, the only people getting enjoyment out of it are non-hingis, Non-Capriati fans and as fans we owe Jennifer and Martina Better:)

veryborednow
Jan 26th, 2002, 02:40 PM
oi adrian - i've been asleep for the past 3 hours, i want my say (!) :p

Aloysius
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:12 PM
When Martina so much as smiles or raises an eyebrow, she gets all sorts of crap thrown at her. :rolleyes: Jen does it, and it's due to emotion? True, I suppose, but her actions were not something to be proud of. And why are people pegging Martina at the same level as Jennifer? Martina cracked a racquet in this match. How was she as bad as Jen? Martina took it out on her equipment. Jen took it out on others!

Josh
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Okay people, once more.....insults like that are not tolerated. You might have had probs with Jenn's/Martina's behaviour but that doesn't justify calling them disgusting or other far from flattering names.

Julian
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:21 PM
It's the heat! It can take toll on anyone during that day. I guess nobody has also mentioned that Martina threw her racquet halfway across the court to her chair (with ballkids nearby), not to mention her NUMEROUS times of slamming her racquet against the ground. Anyway this match was pretty even in terms of "disbehavior" but I still think it was the heat. Congrats to both players. :)

sartrista7
Jan 26th, 2002, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, but who are you to get high and mighty about any tennis player behaving 'badly' on court? You've never got angry whilst playing? You've never wanted to throw your racket, smash your racket or swear? And for you, it's just a hobby: for these ladies, it's their life. There was a lot at stake for both Jenn and Martina yesterday. It's impressive that they were actually able to run and hit as well as they did.

And who are you to define 'ladylike'? It's OK if Marat swears, if Sampras confronts fans, if Ivanisevic calls people '******' every two interviews - but Capriati gets angry and uses a word which I'm sure EVERYONE POSTING HERE has used? Ah, she must be the devil incarnate.

One thing to think about: if Jenn hadn't got herself pumped up to get back into the match, it's very likely that she wouldn't, today, be the 2002 Australian Open champion.

gentenaire
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Well said Adrian and Sartrista!

Shane54
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Daniel sounds like the one to me to be disgusting. First of all, you critize her cursing in the heat of the moment playing in a Grand Slam match, 95 plus degrees..Heat of the moment!! And what do you say Daniel? You calling her a "dirty bitch" and saying you would like to spit on her? And you are probably saying that sitting in your air conditioned room. Drinking your Avian bottle of water. DAMN? could you imagine how nasty Daniel would have acted had he been Capriati on court?

Isanie
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:04 AM
oh well, I just think it's the passion of the game, I'm not agree with that attitude, but hey, it's a GS final, things were not going well for her in that moment so she needed to let go all her anger, remember Martina on the French, it's almost the same thing, and I'm a Hingis fan by the way :D. Every player has her way to express her feelings. :) Now I think the chair umpire should have given her a warning... but then again, the umpire made the things even when she forgave Martina when she threw her raquet. Hingis fans, we are all sad, but attacking Jennifer is not fair, she played a great match, she came back like a champion and she deserved the victory.

saki
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:21 AM
I don't normally criticise player's behaviour/character, but I was genuinely repulsed by Capriati's swearing at the linesman.

I think that there is a difference between getting frustrated with yourself and throwing a racket or swearing at yourself and yelling at an umpire/linesman. There was just something so vulgar about the way Capriati behaved.

That doesn't in any way detract from the gutsy way that she played.

Jakeev
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:38 AM
oh whatever sk vulgar my........please lay off Jennifer. You act like she grabbed her crotch or something............Like I said we don't blink twice when we see this in men's sports but low and behold a female athelete should show some frustration......

saki
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:43 AM
I don't object to her showing frustration, I object to her taking it out on someone else. And I'd say the same about a male player.

I don't normally "bash" players (in fact I think this might even be the first criticism of this sort I've ever posted) but there was something about her behaviour that I found really repulsive.

Like I said before, that doesn't detract from the way that she played and I don't want to start a fight about it.

disposablehero
Jan 27th, 2002, 04:26 AM
sk finally found the word I was searching for: Vulgar

Viva
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
OK spitting on someone is even worse. So basically, you are disgusting. :p That's just filthy.

Dawn Marie
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:02 AM
First of all I wouldn't call Jennifer disgusting I think she has a good heart. BUT I don't care for her on court professional tennis presence at times. Her actions were ugly and uncalled for. I don't like it when the men do that crap and I feel the same for Jennifer. She yelled and cursed at the umpire that imho made her look quite un-cultured and ugly. It was when and how she stated those words. If I am at home and choose to curse that is fine, but I wouldn't curse out people at my job becasue someting doesn't go my way.

Anyhow I like players who are very calm and well mannered on the tennis court. I guess I am a big supporter of good tennis etiquette. Ashe was a great player who could kick your butt in tennis, but always had the best behavior as well.

Also I dont get OZ. Venus looses a bead accidently and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE, but Jennifer and Hingis act up and NADA?? Somethings are so obvious:rolleyes:

Viva
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:30 PM
:rolleyes:

Larrybid
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:13 PM
I am yet again amazed by the extent to which prople will try to defend the indefensible. Jenn just did not act unladylike, whatever that is - she acted like an abusive bitch when the presure was on. This is NOT an admirable trait - it matters not that she won the match (or that Hingis quit in the 3rd set). Class is determined not by how on acts when things are going good, but when things go wrong.

I don't expect total decorum on a field of play. Hell, it wouldn't have matterd to me if Jenn cussed at her self - even breaking rackets doesn't bother me. When players take out their frustrations on others is when they lose me. And to make matters even worse, the calls she was screaming bloody murder about were shown to be on the line. Seems her line calls are as bad as her lauguage and attitude.

Somebody says she needed to get her anger out so she could get her game together. Please! OK, How about this for an idea then: Let's get Jenny a puppy to kick when she gets mad so she doesn't have to abuse the officials for the world to hear. Geez, of all the weak excuses.. Some criticism of players is petty and overstated. This criticism is well deserved by a established pattern of behavior. We can all agree she is a great tennis player and not make excuses for her behavior.

veryborednow
Jan 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
acted like an abusive bitch

OMG!! Can you say sheltered life?

Jenny a puppy to kick when she gets mad

That's just dumb. This is being taken way out of proportion. People change when playing sport, and OMG, I don't think i can even be bothered to defend Jen against such a stupid and uncultered comment.

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 06:39 PM
In probably every round of every event this tournament, a player shouted on court, whether at themselves, at the umpire, at a line judge, whatever. The only reason I can see for suddenly abusing Capriati like this is that she swore. I'm sorry, but 'fuck' is just a word. She used it once. You've probably used it too. I've certainly used it - and on a tennis court. It's a total non-issue, other than the fact that it added to the drama and any non-tennis fans in the room suddenly got interested. It's not uncultured, or particularly vulgar; read any decent contemporary literature (I don't mean romance/thriller trash) and it will probably have the word 'fuck' in it. It just shows that Jenn can get quite emotional, which we all knew already. And I'm sure the line judges have heard worse. Frankly, I find something like referring to Clijsters and Henin as far worse, as well as the general incoherence in interviews. And I see no point in making an issue out of what was a pretty amazing performance. I repeat, if she hadn't thrown that tantrum and fired herself up, she might not be the 2002 Australian Open champion right now.

I look forward to the threads attacking Safin, Roddick, Davenport, Ivanisevic, Agassi, Ferreira, Rusedski etc. for being vulgar next time they get upset on court. :rolleyes:

GogoGirl
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:12 PM
I just logged on to this site and this thread was the first to catch my eye. I am not a fan of Jen's mainly because of how she behaves. Last year I was happy for her and her family when she won it, but since that time, IMO, she has been tripping.

Watch the Pilot Pen tape again and see how she acted throughout the entire match. This is when she was playing Venus in the semis. She yelled about everything. The cellular telephone, the baby crying, the bulbs flashing, and so on.

IMO, she has crossed the line when she starts yelling and cursing at others and the chair umpire. She actually told the crowd to "Shut the hell up", and she used the "F" word at least twice for the TV viewer's ears. I thought her actions and reactions were of a terrible nature. Many times she has mouthed the "F" word, and she did it all last year. I agree with the poster that stated Jen thinks she owns some right of passage these days on "How not to act like a lady." Some feel as if it was the heat or the passion of the moment. I disagree. I feel she has already proven to me how uncooth she can get, and many people were offended by that vulgar exchange.

Martina throwing a racket pales in comparison to what Jen did. IMO, cursing in a hostile and violent manner at the chair umpire and crowd, is a little over the top and completely uncalled for. I don't think Venus would have gotten off as easily as Jen did if she had acted in the manner Jen did. Let's continue to watch Jen the rest of the year to see how she acts on the tennis court, and then IMO, it will be more evident how she acts and reacts. It has been reported that Jen also cursed and was yelling at her father in the stands. How sad. If Venus had been the one yelling to her father in the stands, more would have been made out of it. Matter-of-fact, it is being reported that Jen's father was coaching her from the stands. Richard Williams would not have been able to live it down if it had of been him coaching from the stands.

In other words, there is a double standard here with Jen, and some people just can't handle the truth about her. At least lets be honest around here.

jrj
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:48 PM
nice of you to bring race into this dawn.
The incident with Venus and the beads happened how many years ago?? As silly as it was who cares?
Jen has gotten warnings on the court as has Hingis in the past this particular umpire choose not to for certain things but did warn Hingis for throwing her racket after losting the 2nd set.
Mac got defaulted from this very tournament was that racism, or anti-Americanism or just good sense?

saki
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Sartrista7 - it's not the swearing that I find vulgar, it's the fact that it was directed at someone else. Throwing a racket, getting frustrated with yourself is only human, but taking it out on another person is, for me anyway, unacceptable behaviour. You don't have to agree, I just wanted to make it clear that it was that and not her language intrisically that I object to.

apoet29
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:44 PM
I find this whole post interesting because of the interpretations of Capriati's behavior. Yes, Jennifer's behavior was definantly wrong out there. She should have never cursed a linesman. However, if any of us were to put ourselves in her situation: the grand slam of a major, facing a tough opponent in brutally hot conditions, we might react the same way too.

The problem is our perception of champions. We want them to be superhuman. They have to be physically perfect speciman's, who are always winners, who never react badly on the court. In other words, we want them to act and react by our expectations. By doing so, we tend to forget that they are human beings who will not always react in a rational manner. Case in point, this post! Jennifer's behavior is so abherrant to most people here that they are choosing to react to her as she did to the linesman by cursing her and calling her names. If Jennifer's behavior is so wrong, isn't it wrong to call her curse her as well?! As SK says, taking out your frustrations on another person is unacceptable behavior. By taking out our frustrations on Jennifer, then we are reacting in the same manner she did and that should be unacceptable to us. There is nothing wrong with pointing that Jennifer's behavior is unacceptable, yet there is something wrong when we choose to behave as she does.

There is no easy answer to the question of how champion athletes should act. Yes, they should always try to be warm and gracious even in defeat, yet we must always remember that they are human, as we are, and when angry and frustrated, people often react without thinking.

Double Fault
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by apoet29
I find this whole post interesting because of the interpretations of Capriati's behavior. Yes, Jennifer's behavior was definantly wrong out there. She should have never cursed a linesman. However, if any of us were to put ourselves in her situation: the grand slam of a major, facing a tough opponent in brutally hot conditions, we might react the same way too.

The problem is our perception of champions. We want them to be superhuman. They have to be physically perfect speciman's, who are always winners, who never react badly on the court. In other words, we want them to act and react by our expectations. By doing so, we tend to forget that they are human beings who will not always react in a rational manner. Case in point, this post! Jennifer's behavior is so abherrant to most people here that they are choosing to react to her as she did to the linesman by cursing her and calling her names. If Jennifer's behavior is so wrong, isn't it wrong to call her curse her as well?! As SK says, taking out your frustrations on another person is unacceptable behavior. By taking out our frustrations on Jennifer, then we are reacting in the same manner she did and that should be unacceptable to us. There is nothing wrong with pointing that Jennifer's behavior is unacceptable, yet there is something wrong when we choose to behave as she does.

There is no easy answer to the question of how champion athletes should act. Yes, they should always try to be warm and gracious even in defeat, yet we must always remember that they are human, as we are, and when angry and frustrated, people often react without thinking.

I agree with you apoet29. You should be working for the UN, there would be peace throughout the world. It's rare to see such an OBJECTIVE and UNBIASED post. :)

-Sonic-
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:52 PM
how sociological.

imho, she uses her petulance and stroppiness to win... it backfires a couple of times (e.g. against tesud in munich) but it helped her win this time.

i also agree with sk.... davenport swears etc, but she doesn't hurl abuse to every last person in her field of vision like jen does. thats the difference.

BigTennisFan
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:04 PM
"maybe jen did go a step too far but i think its great for women's tennis to showcase some DRAMA...and yes that involves the top players not just acting mechanically as iff their robots but getting annoyed and showing it !"

Oh sure. I wonder how many people really buy this.
Can you imagine the howls of indignation that would ensue if a certain reigning Wimbledon and US Open champion carried on like a foul mouthed guttersnipe?

Give me cool and collected any day. Cussing and throwing rackets don't make a great tennis match to me.

If I want that kind of drama I'll watch Mike Tyson.:o

DivideMeByZero
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:26 PM
While I was watching the men's final last night (and congrats to Johannson) there was a small interview with a doctor who tends to all the players. One thing he said stood out: That in that kind of intense heat a common symptom is acting out in a way that is not ordinary for a certain person. Now, obviously Jennifer has gotten vocal before, but as far as I know, nothing has ever been as out of control as this match.

Just an idea, but perhaps the intense heat coupled with incredible frusteration at herself and that one linesperson pushed her over. I mean, that could be the explanation.

As a huge, huge, huge Jennifer fan I really wasn't impressed with her showing with the umpire, but at the same time, could all of us, even those who have gotten on her about it, say that in the same circumstances they wouldn't have acted the same way? It's easy to say you wouldn't if you've never been there.

(Hi, I'm Annie btw...)

VS Fan
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Can you imagine the reaction if either Venus or Serena Behaved in this way in a Grand Slam Final???

Serena broke a racket in the US Open 2000 playing Lindsay and IMMEDIATELY received a warning (Racket Abuse) Venus Was panalized a point early in her pro carreer for losing some of her hair beads on the court.

Reality: Venus would have been disqualified from the match if she would EVER display the behavior on court that Jennifer has made a normal part of her expressions when things are not going her way. If Jennifer respects her "Sportswoman of the Year" Award, she should learn to become a true sportsman on the court.

Dawn Marie
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Jrj, being a laywer I know the truth hurts but it is true. Venus drops a bead accidently and OZ goes CRAZY and she got a point TAKEN away. Neither of the other two did.

So shut that crap about what your saying because the evidence is in your face.:)

sartrista7
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:25 PM
VS Fan - I believe that neither Jenn nor Hingis were given warnings in this match because of a) the extreme weather conditions and b) the fact that, because both had so much at stake, both were extremely emotional.

And if Venus or Serena had done what Jenn did? You're right, they would have been slammed. That's a hugely hypocritical stance, and not one I would take. I say: it's not a huge deal if Jenn does it, it wouldn't be a huge deal if V or S did it (although it would be slightly out of character), it's not a big deal if Safin does it. Move on.

VS Fan
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:49 PM
You are right, It would be very much out of character, especially for Venus to have this behavior on court. Serena would never curse, but has thrown a racket or two.

I think, however that warnings would have been appropriate.

Venus and Monica are alike in this respect. They just play the next point, rarly showing ANY emotion when things go wrong.
They both believe that if they can win the next point, the match can still be won. They have been proven correct more than once.
(Monica vs. Serena, San Diego) (Venus vs Martina US Open 2000), (Venus vs. Jennifer, Ericsson 2001)

Jennifer needs to get control of herself on court. With the tournament officials giving her a free pass on this behavior, she has no incentive to improve.

The double standards need to pass away.

jrj
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:54 PM
dawn you are sounding more like chocco by the minute

sartrista7
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:04 AM
VS Fan - I know what you're saying, but I still believe these were exceptional circumstances and the umpire was totally justified; if Venus or Serena had done the same things that day I don't believe they would have been given a warning either. The heat was ridiculous - both players looked as if they were frying, physically and mentally, out there, and a warning would have either made them collapse or go further over the edge.

Venus has behaved like this in the past (albeit without the swearing): it was in her rookie days, Wimbledon '98 against Jana Novotna. She threw a tantrum which lasted for about ten minutes, ranting at the umpire! Very entertaining though, even though she did end up almost in tears. 'I know it's out, she knows it's out, everyone here knows it's out, so why the hell don't you know it's out?' Actually, she defended it well afterwards: she said that if anyone had been channel-hopping and caught a young girl screaming like that, it might have caught their interest. And I did like her more after that, and now I'ma fan, so it can't have been all bad. She doesn't do it any more, mature champion that she is now!

Jakeev
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Sartrista I think Martina was actually giving a warning about raquet abuse. And who knows, Jennifer could still be fined for swearing at the umpire even though SHE DID NOT CALL THE UMPIRE A NAME.

And this is what is totally pissing me off about this thread. Everyone is acting like she was putting down the umpire or thowing something at her.

If people want such ladylike sports I really really think they need to switch to watching Equestrian competitions (then again I have heard they are bitchy as hell too:) )

Oh and why is it necessary to bring up the sisters in this topic? The bead situation has nothing to do with anything sorry dawn marie.

moon
Jan 28th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Doesn't matter to me whether Jen was male or female, her behavior was repulsive. And while one could argue that she just snapped, this is not a one time thing.

Bottom line, she took out her aggression on someone else, because things were not going her way, and that is just not cool.

Viva
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Dawns a lawyer? Since when?

"a bead" talk about a head full. Eh.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Sore Losers! Or Maybe, Just Plain Losers!

Messenger
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Did anyone else notice that Jenn said "Call the f*ck referee" and then almost immediately turned her back to play the next point? She was just venting her anger and frustration and wasn't that serious about it. Uncultured? yes. But hardly a bitch. I think you can be forgiven for a lot of things in such an intense and harsh Grand Slam final like it was.

I liked the fact that this final had so much drama- with Jen blowing up like she did, Martina squealing and smashing her racket, both of them sitting in the linesmen's chairs in between points, sitting on the tunnel steps when the other one went to the bathroom etc. etc. It was so incredible to watch, and I never felt any animosity towards any of the two players during the course of the epic match.

Dawn Marie
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Viva, first of all you don't know me?? So I don't get your reply at all? "Since when" sounds like you know my life history or something?? Anyway Jrj is the lawyer which was my reason for my words.

Jrj, your probably closer to Choco than I .. Infact I always thought he/she was another poster just trying to start crap. A Venus fan he was not.. lmao

Moon agree and well written:)

Viva
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Dawn, No no I didn't mean I knew your life history I just thought you were like 18 - unless I'm getting you mixed up with Becca. Oh well, shows how much I pay attention. I'm not claiming to know you at all because I don't.

:)

Dawn Marie
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Viva you must read more then you realize because you thought I was 18 and getting me kinda confused with Becca. You would only get me confused with Becca if you read the board. Especially since their are so many posters in here.:) Anyway please do not wish 18 on me.. lol.. I would not wish to be a teenager for the world. :):kiss:

Candy946
Jan 28th, 2002, 10:30 AM
I can't think of any reason why I should like Capriati.

Oizo
Jan 28th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Same for me with Hingis. I never liked her and never will.
And Jenny is a true champion. She`s not a bitch. I should have seen you playing on that heat and keeping your temper. :p :p :p

Sal U. Lite
Jan 28th, 2002, 01:40 PM
I don't see what was so "disgusting" about Jennifer's behavior. So she cussed..... big freakin' deal.

I cuss all the time when I'm under stress. And I'm a LADY in every sense of the word. (snaps fingers):kiss:

Sartrista, I agree with your posts. I got your back on this one.;)

TeeRexx
Jan 28th, 2002, 02:31 PM
I am rather amazed at the number of individuals in this thread that think it is perfectly all right to say "f..k" to a person that you do not know, who is just an official in a game, over a point that you really lost, in one of the biggest events in sport, all the while you are on INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION.

Oh well, who really gives a f..k anyway, eh?

jrj
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Jen's such a bad person that's why she brought a young cancer patient on his death bed to every one of her matches in the tournament and even spoke to him and got her picture taken with him after the grueling final.

Oizo
Jan 28th, 2002, 03:41 PM
You are soooo right Sartrista!:kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss: :hearts:

Halardfan
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:52 PM
A sense of perspective is needed...only people who have never sworn in their life can sit and preach at Jennifer.

A persons behaviour on court is little refelction on thier real life character. Even mild mannered, shy and kinda old-fashioned Julie HD had been known to swear at herself in French on court. More in frustration than any malice. Myself Im incredibly shy in public, but when I step on a public court I lose my inhibtions. Im sure Ive swore and thrown a racket or two in my time. :o

Anyone who saw John Mcenroe is in his pomp wouldn't bat an eyelid at anything Jennifer did. Anyway I liked John and I like Jennifer.

In many cases I think people's problem with Jennifer is not with her language but with the fact that she just won it all, contrary to their way off predictions!:)

irma
Jan 28th, 2002, 06:57 PM
remove the beam in your first eyes first before you start with the splinter of your neighbour:angel:

timmbo
Jan 28th, 2002, 07:14 PM
How many of us have been in a high pressure situation like that? I dont know about you, but when Im feeling a bit of pressure, the first thing that pops in my is a curse word. I am an intelligent person with a college degree with a professional job and I still want really badly to say those words all the time. I think that the only difference is that Jenn has enough courage to say what's on her mind, good or bad. I dont agree with bad language on court or off court, but jeez lighten up. If we are going to bash Jenn for her bad language, then lets bash others for their insults and crude remarks regarding other players. Its a game, its entertainment and if you dont like the language dont watch.

Baseball players grad their crotches all the time, should we bash them for that, or how about basketball players who curse on court. Its just a word. Lighten up

veryborednow
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:51 PM
let's put this to rest now, and enjoy our memories from Australian Open 2002.

THE END

shhhh.... no more posts