PDA

View Full Version : Tarpischev is an idiot. Please discuss...

Pages : [1] 2

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:22 AM
he'll get Vera and Maria to play next round of the FedCup... even at the expense of higher ranked Russian girls... or it could be bye-bye Masha in a hurry...

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:38 AM
he should get masha to play but i don't know about vera. vera is playing great and consistently but petrova is also playing great and imo playing better. there is also myskina and dementieva and i guess bovina and kuznetsova have a chance as well as lina k. but bovina, lina k and dementieva and inconsistent in their results and myskina is in bad form while kuzntesova maybe isn't quite at the standard of the others. i definately think it is between masha, vera and nadia. what surface will it be played on?

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:47 AM
I have no clue what court - probably hard court. What I mean it would have been more political move to play young players... once they play for Russia it will be more difficult for them to start playing for other countries...

Elena D. is a safe choice for Tarpischev, as Nastya, Lina and Lenas.

He needs to get Vera, Maria, Nadia and Sveta on board asap

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM
with all due respect even "lower" ranked Russians shouldn't have problem winning against Slovenia...

btw, I just looked up and it's on red clay

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:52 AM
so I guess playing Masha on red clay is not what Russian captain would do, but Vera, Nadia and Sveta could win the tie

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:04 AM
sorry i didn't know they were playing slovenia. ok then of course masha and vera should play and it would also be good to put sveta in the team although i think in the future dinara will probably be the better player out of sveta and dinara so maybe it would be a good idea to get her in on it as well maybe even before sveta is put in.

ys
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:05 AM
he'll get Vera and Maria to play next round of the FedCup... even at the expense of higher ranked Russian girls... or it could be bye-bye Masha in a hurry...

Why? :confused:
If it is for Olympics, the player does not have to play Fed Cup, she actually has to make herself available and that's enough. If it is for her potential switch to USA, I think it has no ground. Even Anna didn't do that. And Masha, with her old links to Kafelnikov, is very unlikely to do that. She simply does not need it at this point.

And Vera is selected for playing Slovenia, but WTT is a problem. If it is solved, she'll play.

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:05 AM
masha isn't too bad on red clay, she did qualify for RG and then gave serna an in-form good clay court player a toughish match.

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Why? :confused:
If it is for Olympics, the player does not have to play Fed Cup, she actually has to make herself available and that's enough. If it is for her potential switch to USA, I think it has no ground. Even Anna didn't do that. And Masha, with her old links to Kafelnikov, is very unlikely to do that. She simply does not need it at this point.

I'm more than sure BJK wouldn't mind to have her on the team... There are could be lots of incentives that we could only guess...

ys
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:08 AM
And beating a team of Srebotnik, Matevjic and Pisnik on clay at Slovenia doesn't look like a walk in the park to me.

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:18 AM
they are quite a tough team, now that i know the surface and who is playing. vera can certainly get on top of all those players. i ahven't seen masha on red clay so i can't comment on her when it comes to this level of play (they are all very good clay court players). clay is apparently sveta's best or favourite surface and she had that tough macth against shaughnessy this year at RG and shaughnessy has been to the 4th round at RG before if i'm not mistaken. masha and sveta could be put in the team but it would be a bit of a gamble and they might not pull through. vera should certainly be on the team and i would also think petrova will be picked.

fresh2flash
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Most possible and reasonable choice for the tie is Nastya, Alyona D, Vera and Nadya. Masha is very doubtful to be picked to play on clay. It`s a hard tie and Masha will be called just to sit on the bench. Shamil won`t let a junior play decisive matches. Then why call her? Just to be sure she won`t change her nationality? Well if she is going to change it if she`s not called to the team then let her do it.

Offtop: The tie will be played at the resort Pordoroz at the Adriatic sea. :D I made up my mind and will go there. :)

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM
im sure Shamil has a different opinion...

fresh2flash
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM
im sure Shamil has a different opinion...

What do you think Masha`s chances are to be called in the US team, when the Williamses, Rubin, Capriati, Davenport are on the top of their form? Next to zero. So if she changes her nationality that is because she just wants to change it, not because she is not getting a call. And if she wants to change her nationality she can alwais find an excuse. Masha is a good prospect, but to bring her in the team ahead of the already established and higher-ranked players - is equal to destroy the team`s spirit.

Gowza
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:13 PM
well the usa a bit short of top talent for the future so they might want to get to masha before russia do. but that is just a possibility that could occur.

AKTW
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:20 PM
I agree with fresh.

tenn_ace
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:54 PM
exactly Gowza... they will let her play a second tie on the team (with someone who is very experienced and good - like Serena)... it will do the trick.

the cat
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Fresh, Maria isn't a junior anymore.

ys, are you sure about the Olympic rule? I remember the Williams sisters needed to play Fed Cup in 1999 to qualify for being on the 2000 United States Olympic team.

tenn_ace, I thought a year or so ago that there was a realistic possiblility that Maria would become an American citizen. I even started threads about that very topic here at WTA World. But after hearing Maria talk about being Russian on the inside and that she is happy representing Russia, I am confident she will stay a Russian citizen.

But Gowza does make a good counter point. The difference is I believe Maria likes Elena Dementieva and Anastasia Myskina. And she's familiar with Elena Bovina, too. And she probably likes Vera Douchevina and Maria Kirilenko as well. I don't know if carrying the tennis bags for the Williams sisters would interest Maria. And how would the USTA entice Maria to become an American citizen and represent America in tennis? Money? LOL! Maria is so attractive and articulate that she will make plenty of money in endorsements. And I would think her parents and grandparents would want Maria to play Fed Cup and the Olympics for Russia.

As for the Fed Cup team. I think Tarpischev will be loyal to Elena Dementieva and Anastasia Myskina. But right now Elena Likhovsteva and Elena Bovina are in jeopardy of losing their spots on the Fed Cup team. Nadia Petrova should be on the team too. I think Lina Krasnoroutskaia has played herself off the Fed Cup team for the time being. The next player added should be Vera Zvonareva. Then maybe Maria Sharapova.

How many members are allowed on a Fed Cup team? Is it 4 or 5? I think it's 4. But I hope it's 5.

ys
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:16 PM

ys, are you sure about the Olympic rule? I remember the Williams sisters needed to play Fed Cup in 1999 to qualify for being on the 2000 United States Olympic team.

Yes. You see, can you imagine Williams sisters making themselves available and not being selected? Of course, not. So for them, it is the same thing. But not for a player ranked #8 or #9 in the country. She may make herself available, but not get selected. It is an absolutely legitimiate thing. Imagine the situation of generation change in a country which always goes by rankings in FC selection. Imagine that they had one Top 4 in years before Olympic year, and then 4 new players emerge and become countries tOP 4. By your logic, in this case no player of this country is eligible, which wuold be bullshit.

fresh2flash
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:39 PM

She is. She just started playing WTA tournaments, she turned 16 two month ago, she is unexperienced. She can be picked as a 5th player in the team, but that is also unlikely.

the cat
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Fresh, it is unlikely that Maria will be chosen as the fifth player for the upcoming Fed Cup Tie in Slovenia. But the Tie after that Maria might very well be chosen. Especially if it's on hard courts. Since she plays a limited schedule, she might welcome being on the team and perhaps playing a singles match once the Tie is decided. That would be a good way for her to break in to Fed Cup play.

And World Team Tennis might take a couple of possible Russian Fed Cup team members out of the equation against Slovenia the way it did last year.

fresh2flash
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:25 PM
A lot may happen till final. :) Concerning the November ties I agree that Masha has a chance if she continues to progress.

King Aaron
Jun 29th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Playing Slovenia is not as easy as it seems. I don't think Maria will change her nationality and Tarpischev should have Vera, Nadia, Anastasia, Elena D and L if he wants to ensure a guaranteed win. However, if the players are available is another story.

tenn_ace
Jun 30th, 2003, 02:31 AM
many Russians will be playing World Team competitoin in the US (I believe), inlcuding Maria, so the team could be very surprising...

KV
Jun 30th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Hi, The Cat, Sharky, TBE, Mrs TBE and supporters of the Russian Tennis.

I'd put Vera Z on account of her clay results. Nadia because her serve/hardhitting can do the damage then I'd pick Alyona and Nastya or maybe Sveta.

ys
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I guess Tarpishev will have a difficult choice for April tie. Sharapova, Safina and Kuznetsova have still never been used in Fed Cup. And either of them could well be in Russian Top 4 come Olympic selection time. Tarpishev though said in his recent interview that there was a clarification for Olympic eligibility saying being selected for the tie is not necessary, being available for it is enough.

the cat
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:02 PM
That's an interesting Olympic eligibitlity clarification, ys. I think Maria Sharapova will make herself available to the Russian Fed Cup team. Although Masha as far as I know has never even played on a Russian team. But she's got to start sometime. And that sometime should come in 2004.

ys
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM
Now, Olympics are becoming an interesting proposition. With Williams sisters apparently not intent to play, Clijsters missing it too, Russian girls will have a great chance to top Elena Dementieva's 2000 achievement.

the cat
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Good point, ys. But the only Russina we can count on at this time is Myskina. But I hope by August a few other Russina's will be playing well, too. :)

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Good point, ys. But the only Russina we can count on at this time is Myskina. But I hope by August a few other Russina's will be playing well, too. :)
Did I miss something? I thought Vera has just proved that she is in a very decent form..

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
After Fed Cup, I'm not going to be optimistic, no matter who doesn't show up.

the cat
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Yes ys. Vera is in good form. But I don't think we can count on her yet where playing for the Russian national team is concerned. Do you? I love Vera's fire and passiona and she will be a top 10 player. But I still say Myskina is the only Russina at this time we can count on. But by August Zvonareva could join Myskina in the top 10. :D

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Yes ys. Vera is in good form. But I don't think we can count on her yet where playing for the Russian national team is concerned. Do you? I love Vera's fire and passiona and she will be a top 10 player. But I still say Myskina is the only Russina at this time we can count on. But by August Zvonareva could join Myskina in the top 10. :D
Zvonareva could join Myskina in Top 10 already this week. If Lina obliges to beat Ai.

the cat
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
That is good news. :) But I don't think Lina will beat Sugiyama.

goldenlox
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Lina beat Dani 6-2, 6-2. She did that to Farina Elia last year.
As long as she avoids 16 and under players, she does fine.

ys
Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Lina beat Dani 6-2, 6-2. She did that to Farina Elia last year.
As long as she avoids 16 and under players, she does fine.
And Ai is coming off an injury..

- L i n a -
Feb 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Funny thread...

People saying Maria is amongst the best 2 Russians... :haha:

the cat
Feb 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Who said that, Ev? :confused:

ys
Feb 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Now, it is certain that Kuznetsova has a good shot at making Russian Top 4 before Wimbledon and qualifying for Olympics. Likhovtseva must be praying for that, because if Kuznetsova makes it to Top 4 in singles, their team is a lock to be selected to play Olympics.

TartarVicario
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Vamos Sveta and Sveta/Lena :banana:

goldenlox
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Right now I would say Sveta/Lena is the best chance for a medal in Athens.
I don't see what other team you can take. They won Gold Coast. Reached the AO finals. And now the Dubai finals.

the cat
Feb 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I agree, GL. Sveta and Elena also happen to be the 2 best Russian doubles players and it's good they teamed up. :)

ys
Mar 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Now, it is certain that Kuznetsova has a good shot at making Russian Top 4 before Wimbledon and qualifying for Olympics. Likhovtseva must be praying for that, because if Kuznetsova makes it to Top 4 in singles, their team is a lock to be selected to play Olympics.So, with Nadya out of selection for Fed Cup, Sveta is a lock for Fed Cup debut.

The question now is, with Kuznetsova-Likhovtseva team doing so well, will Tarpishev bank on that and drop one of Russian Top 3? I think Dementieva could skip it, use a little rest and avoid playing indoors in the middle of clay season. last year it spoiled her clay season.

goldenlox
Mar 5th, 2004, 10:19 PM
The way Sveta has played in Dubai and Doha, she might win a medal in singles and doubles.

ys
Mar 6th, 2004, 10:22 PM
We still didn't have our selection for Australia. At the same time arrival of Sveta clearly changes the whole situation and might affect the principles of selection. If before this time Tarpishev would simply select Top 4 singles players, because none of them was really good in doubles, now the presence of good al-rounder being a part of successfull all RUssian permanent doubles combo change the situation drastically. From now on I expect Kuznetsova and Likhovtseva to be always selected. With other players fighting for remaining two vacancies. Myskina is apparent choice for one of them, not only because she is national #1 and in such a magnificient form, but also because she is skipping green clay events alltogether, and so she won't have problems like jetlag, surface-switch. Who is going to take the last vacancy? Safina sounds as a reasonable choice, taking into account that she skips green clay too.

So, my choice is:

Myskina, Kuznetsova, Safina, Likhovtseva

the cat
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I hope Dementieva is motivated with the possibilty that she could be left of the Fed Cup team this year. Kuznetsova should definately be added to the team. But I'm not so sure about Likhovtseva because her singles game isn't reliable enough if she has to play singles due to a teammates illness or injury. I don't see Safina on the team instead of Dementieva. That would be a slap in the face to Elena. But Zvonareva could be chosen instead of Dementieva for the Fed Cup tie against Australia.

ys
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
But I'm not so sure about Likhovtseva because her singles game isn't reliable enough if she has to play singles due to a teammates illness or injury.
Who cares? Do Americans rely on Navratilova as singles players? Do Aussies rely on Stubbs? You don't need four singles player. FWIW, US DC team has only two singles players.

I don't see Safina on the team instead of Dementieva. That would be a slap in the face to Elena.
Of course, in case Elena insists she will be selected. But common sense can convince her that she would use this time better for getting her singles games together and there is no need to jump onto carpet in the middle of her clay season. Besides, she should be reminded, that last year route - Greenclay(USA)-carpet(Moscow)-Redclay(Europe) got her injured and killed her red clay season.

But Zvonareva could be chosen instead of Dementieva for the Fed Cup tie against Australia.
Same here. Vera plays US green clay and she has a lot of points to defend on red clay.

Overall, I think that Russian players should have insisted for their federation to choose clay as a tie surface. Yes, it would cost Federation some money, but it would not only have helped their clay season, it would have pretty much guaranteed the result of the tie, because Aussies, Molik, first of all, are pretty useless on clay. I am surprised it was not considered.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I'd do with Sveta/Lena L too
Plus its not like Sveta cant play singles

Sveta would be used either as a pretty SOLID singles player or as backup
plus her doubles with Lena L is a great combo.

you need 3 singles player and one good doubles
but we'd have 3 good singles and TWO good doubles
so best of both things

Nastya is a lock-on for one singles spot

see how Lena D does in next few weeks to see if she gets her game going.
otherwise i'd go with Vera

the cat
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I think you might be right, ys. Maybe Tarpischev will let Elena concentrate on the short green clay court season instead of asking her to play the first round of Fed Cup. I think the Fed Cup team against Australia will be Myskina, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva and Likhovsteva. This way as TBE pointed out, Russia has 3 good singles players and 2 good doubles players.

fresh2flash
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I spoke with Tarpishev and he said that he included in the team 7 (sic!) girls - Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Petrova, Kuznetzova, Sharapova and Safina. Interisting decision.

bubble
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM
wow, how is he going to shortlist from these fabulous 7 gals? :)

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Stupid decision.. Why would you need 4 singles players?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I spoke with Tarpishev and he said that he included in the team 7 (sic!) girls - Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Petrova, Kuznetzova, Sharapova and Safina. Interisting decision.
So no Likhovtseva/Kuznetsova in doubles :mad:
Sveta i'm sure will get in anyway as she's the best doubles player we have.

Myskina if she recovers, and Lena D for the singles. If no Myskina, Zvonareva in the mix.
I'd put Sveta and Nadya in as a partnership for doubles.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Does this mean Lena L. will not be on the Olympic team?
I was hoping Sveta/Lena could play Fed Cup together, to get prepared for the Olympic type pressure.

the cat
Mar 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM
The bottom line is this: The Russian Fed Cup and Olympic tennis teams are up for grabs this year and that makes me happy. :)

saki
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:24 PM
From the BBC

Fed Cup call for Sharapova

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39989000/jpg/_39989339_sharapova203.jpg Sharapova needs Fed Cup experience to qualify for the Olympics

Teenager Maria Sharapova could make her Fed Cup debut for Russia in April as the country moves to ensure she can play in the Athens Olympics in August.

Fellow teenage prodigies Dinara Safina and Svetlana Kuznetsova could also face Australia in the World Group tie.

Russian tennis chief Shamil Tarpishchev said the trio needed Fed Cup experience to be eligible for the Olympics.

"We want all three, Sharapova, Safina and Kuznetsova, to be eligible for the Athens Olympics," said Tarpischev.

Sharapova, 16, has already established herself by winning two WTA titles, reaching Wimbledon's fourth round in 2003 and the third round of the Australian Open earlier this year. Kuznetsova, 18, also has two WTA titles to her credit.

---------------------------------------------------------

I think they'd be crazy not to pick Elena L/Sveta for the Olympics... especially since the policy for Fed Cup has always been rankings.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:44 PM
I think Sveta/Lena need to play Fed Cup together. It's different from a tournament.
Sharapova will not make this Olympic team anyway. She's beaten only one player in the top 40 all year.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Exactly... what good does it do for Sharapova and Safina to be on the team this year?

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:15 PM
I don't understand this at all. Nastya is playing great. Elena just beat Venus. Nadia is playing well. Sveta is playing well. Vera is #11 in the world. 5 in the top 14.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:22 PM
We want all three, Sharapova, Safina and Kuznetsova, to be eligible for the Athens Olympics," said Tarpischev.

Only 4 Russians can play in the Olympics, correct?

If so... that's rather disrespectful of Dementieva, Zvonareva, Petrova, Myskina who actually have EARNED their ranking so far.

Epigone
Mar 31st, 2004, 11:06 PM
Masha and Dinara don't deserve to play in the Olympics. And as much as it hurts me to say, I expect Sveta to be in and Vera to be out. I think that Vera is a better player, but Sveta seems to be the Russina who has received the most praise lately. When combined with the fact that Vera's head has been hindering her lately, thus blowing chances to score big points, I fear that Vera may be watching the Olympics from home :sad:. However, the Olympics are still a few months away, and I expect Vera to be very strong on clay, so she still has plenty of chances to impress :).

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Kick Tarpischev out of this position... he's officially annoyed me with his ignorance.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:23 AM
GL and EV, Tarpischev wants Sharapova, Safina and Kuznetsova to be eligable for the Olympics. If they don't get invited to the Fed Cup team they aren't eligable for Athens. This doesn't mean they will play matches on the Fed Cup team. But Myskina, Dementieva and Petrova are all injury prone and Tarpischev just wants his backups ready in case one or 2 of them can't play in the Olympics.

I think it's ridiculous that Olympic tennis doesn't go by the rankings. Why should the United States and Russia be penalized for having the most good female tennis players?

To my knowledge Maria Sharapova has never played on a Russian team on any level. So her being included on the Fed Cup team is very interesting. I hope Masha thrives in a team environment. Mashara's compatriots seem to like her and that's a good sign. :)

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Lena L. should be there. Sveta/Lena is the best chance for any medal in Athens. They need to play under this kind of pressure, which they haven't done yet.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:39 AM
Good point.

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 05:37 AM
Oh MY GOD!
The team FedCup team should be Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova! That's a given! Stuff anyone else you want into that last position, even a hybrid of two players, but these three are currently the best and the rest are inconsistant! I'd put Kuznetsova in that other place, coz she's both good in singles and will be a great doubles player with Dementieva.

The Olympics: Safina and Sharapova are two unexperienced teenagers. You put them in the team- you lose. They might be consistent, but on theit own intermeddiate level. If Shamil want's back-ups he has Kuznetsova and Zvonareva. Kuznetsova is much better than Sharapova whop can argue that? But Shamil with his heroism! I hate the guy. he screwed up last year and is doing the same in 2004!

cool_olga
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:38 AM
Sharapova and Safina? I think there should be two best singles players: Nastya and Lena D and two best for doubles so Svetlana and Lena L... Sharapova has time, no rush

ALPHA
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Kick Tarpischev out of this position... he's officially annoyed me with his ignorance.
He will be kicked out as soon as the Russians lost 1st Rd Fed Cup again because of his team and surface selection. Don't worry. ;)

ALPHA
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:58 AM

I think it's ridiculous that Olympic tennis doesn't go by the rankings. Why should the United States and Russia be penalized for having the most good female tennis players?

So going by your opinion, there should be 64-players-field with 26 US-players, 23 Russians, 5 French players, 1 German, 1 Swiss, oh and my be 2 Belgian etc etc.

Now that's Olympic atmosphere.

My suggestion: Why don't you create a 32-players draw with 16 Russians and 16 US players only - this way you can secure that no other than your two BIG GREAT GODS OWN COUNTRIES can win their medals.

One more suggestion: Think first - then type !

saki
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:11 AM
I got the impression that all he meant was that he wants Sharapova/Safina/Sveta to be eligible for the Olympics so that if one of them has a run of terrific results before Olympic selection is made, he has the option of putting one of them in. I think that's reasonably sensible - Dementieva, Petrova and Zvonareva have all been streaky and if Sharapova/Safina prove themselves, they might (not convinced, but hey) deserve a place in the team.

I'm annoyed that he's ignoring Sveta/Elena L though... But he's always ignored doubles and gone with four singles players unnecessarily. It'd be particularly daft for the Olympics because Sveta/Lena L are far more likely to get a medal than any of the singles players.

KV
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM
I got the impression that all he meant was that he wants Sharapova/Safina/Sveta to be eligible for the Olympics so that if one of them has a run of terrific results before Olympic selection is made, he has the option of putting one of them in. I think that's reasonably sensible - Dementieva, Petrova and Zvonareva have all been streaky and if Sharapova/Safina prove themselves, they might (not convinced, but hey) deserve a place in the team.

I'm annoyed that he's ignoring Sveta/Elena L though... But he's always ignored doubles and gone with four singles players unnecessarily. It'd be particularly daft for the Olympics because Sveta/Lena L are far more likely to get a medal than any of the singles players.Share your view. Think Shamill meant Sharapova/Safina/Kuznetsova to be eligible for the Olympics. Don't think he means he'd select them to play for Russia. Of course atm you can't select them apart from Sveta. On other hand if you select E. Clijsters to play for Belgium then it's reasonable to include even A. Kleybanova into the Russian squad.

KV
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
If Russia has to play countries like Slovenia, Yug, then I'll agree to give Alyona, Nastya a rest and to bring in Masha, Dinara. Unfortunately against Australia it's too risky to bring them into the squad. Although A. Molik is an up and down player.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
Hi ALPHA! :wavey:

Thank you saki. I want the Olympic tennis competition to be played in WTA Tour and ITF grand slam format. That is what the players are used to.

I suppose alot of top players will pull out for various reasons and the draw will be hurt. I don't think either Willaims sister will be there. And Kim Clijsters won't be there. So perhaps Elena Dementieva can bring home the gold this time instead of the silver. :)

I would also like tennis in the Olympics to be played in a team format such as in Fed Cup. That would be interesting and exciting for tennis fans. :D But such a team competition woud devalue the Fed Cup and Davis Cup so i doubt it will happen.

tenn_ace
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:26 PM
I don't think he's ignoring Lena L. I think Lena takes a lay-off due to her knee... it looks awful and certainly is injured. Russia is still a strong favourite to win a tie without her. Break will allow her to treat her knee injury and be ready for GSs and Athens.

cool_olga
Apr 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
Ok in first round even without doubles specialists Myskina and Dementieva should easily make the win in only singles.
Shouldn't Olympics go by ranking not only countries?? Like in other sports they collect points that give them qualification or plays tournaments that give it also. Better tennis countries like Russia have worse because they could make at least two teams better then many other countries.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
I don't think he's ignoring Lena L. I think Lena takes a lay-off due to her knee... it looks awful and certainly is injured. Russia is still a strong favourite to win a tie without her. Break will allow her to treat her knee injury and be ready for GSs and Athens.
Lena is playing doubles in this event. Is her knee that bad?
Anyway, if that doubles match decides the tie, I want Lena/Sveta.

tenn_ace
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM
it's painful even look at that knee... I saw her playing against Barbora when Elena was limping from time to time. I'm sure she's playing only because it's a huge tournament with lots of points and money at stake.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
That's very true. The doubles money is sixth highest, after the majors and YEC.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:38 PM
Well said, C_O. I agree with you about how the value of the WTA rankings should determine who qualifies for the Oympics just like it does with tennis tournaments.

If Tarpischev does leave as Russian Fed Cup captain who would replace him?

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM
Anna K.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM
Good one! ;) :p

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
If Pat McEnroe can coach, Anna can. She might even play doubles. I think John McEnroe did that.

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:53 PM
So no Likhovtseva/Kuznetsova in doubles :mad:
Sveta i'm sure will get in anyway as she's the best doubles player we have.

Myskina if she recovers, and Lena D for the singles. If no Myskina, Zvonareva in the mix.
I'd put Sveta and Nadya in as a partnership for doubles.
Isn't Lena D better? But this blows anyway! Sveta might be good with Likhovtseva, but might not adjust to Lena D.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:58 PM
I would not want Lena D. playing the doubles if it determined the tie. Why have a new team when you have the world's #2, and both are Russian?

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM
I would not want Lena D. playing the doubles if it determined the tie. Why have a new team when you have the world's #2, and both are Russian?
Agreed! But we don't have it coz of one coach...Doesn't he realize that Russia has the best Olympic doubles team in the world?

saab95
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
IMHO, the reason - Torp doesn't like change his mind.
He said just after semis in November he'd like to see young girls at the Olympics.
He's is more interesting in Olympic first of all.
Allmost tне same he said yesrteday.

And I'like to see Olga Morozova as a captain.
It's the best choice for Russiam team & Lena D.'s personally future,IMO.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:36 PM
Which young girls? Vera is ranked #11, and Sveta #14. How many young girls can he put on the team?

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Saab, I like your choice of Olga Morozova to be the next Russian Fed Cup captain.

cool_olga
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
Yeah :) But really here in Poland I don't hear anything about Tarpischev but I really am starting to not like him :mad: If he's captain why is he so silly. For me it's misunderstanding to take 4 singles players. The team is 4 players because of that, that you can take two great players, high ranked in singles to win their to matches and the other two places are for doubles, that's what that all is for. So he really should think about it and take Sveta and Lena...

If Anna K. was a captain Russian team would be the most popular and the attention would be more on her than the players :rolls: would be funny

tenn_ace
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
all I can say: not going by ranking will create a lot of trouble... he should stick to the ranking (given that players make themselves available)

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
But tenn_ace, using the rankings is the easiest way to decide the Russian Fed Cup team and the Russian Olympic tennis team. But using the ranking system isn't fair for those under the well intended but misguided WTA AER. Maria Sharapova isn't playing another WTA tournament for about 5 weeks. And that is ridiculous because she's just starting to build some positive momentum in 2004. The AER is holding Masha, her results and her ranking down. :(

And I think the possibility of Elena Dementieva losing her spot on the Fed Cup and Olympic teams has lit a fire under Elena that will lead to improved play. The same goes for Anastasia Myskina and Nadia Petrova.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
It definitely has to go by ranking...

This team

It's a joke if Nastya isn't on this team... she'll definitely be Top ranked Russian by Olympics, unless 2 other Russian girls start winning the clay Tier I's and slams coming up. Not likely.

Sveta and Lena L. are the best doubles team, by far... again, joke if they're not on the team. Especially since they would be the best shot at a Gold medal for Russia in tennis.

That leaves the 2nd singles spot... and after Amelia Island, Elena D. will still have a big lead, with little to defend until Olympics.

tenn_ace
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
But tenn_ace, using the rankings is the easiest way to decide the Russian Fed Cup team and the Russian Olympic tennis team. But using the ranking system isn't fair for those under the well intended but misguided WTA AER. Maria Sharapova isn't playing another WTA tournament for about 5 weeks. And that is ridiculous because she's just starting to build some positive momentum in 2004. The AER is holding Masha, her results and her ranking down. :(

And I think the possibility of Elena Dementieva losing her spot on the Fed Cup and Olympic teams has lit a fire under Elena that will lead to improved play. The same goes for Anastasia Myskina and Nadia Petrova.
the cat, Maria will have her time... probably at least 2 other chances (depending on how long she'll play tennis). in couple of years she'll play a full schedule and she'll be able to prove that she's the best (if it's really true) Russian player. Right now it's Nastya and Lena D for singles and Sveta/Lena K. for doubles.

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
How many singles spots are available for Russia and the United States in Olympic tennis? Two? What a travesty! :mad: That would be like having a grand slam or Tier 1 tournament and only having Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva representing Russia when Russia has such tremendous depth in women's tennis. In my opinion tennis in the Olympics is devalued because of the weak draws. This was the case at the 2000 Sydney Olympics when weak draws hurt tennis in the Olympics. And the lack of American television coverage for tennis in the Olmpics bore that out. If Venus Willaims wasn't in the singles draw in Sydney the American telvision coverage for the Sydney Olympics would have been even worse. And if the Willaims sisters and Andy Roddick don't go to Athens Olympics this year for the tennis competition then the American television coverage for the tennis in Athens will be a complete disaster for tennis fans in America. :(

tenn_ace, I know Maria will have her time. But if her ranking is good enough now and it is, her time to play in the 2004 Summer Olympics should be now. But it isn't because Russia can only send 2 singles players.:(

cool_olga
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
the cat, Maria will have her time... probably at least 2 other chances (depending on how long she'll play tennis). in couple of years she'll play a full schedule and she'll be able to prove that she's the best (if it's really true) Russian player. Right now it's Nastya and Lena D for singles and Sveta/Lena K. for doubles.
Agree :yeah:

Maria is very good now, she just needs experience and it's not maybe too good that she has age restriction but WTA made it to make Tour better abd to save players, I don't know if it's for sure good but it is like that. For now Maria is pretty good player but she hasn't got any really big win so far. Yes, she wins with lower ranked players but when it comes to top ten or something near it she loses pretty badly, like even with no.1 Russian Anastasia, she got tought lesson from Nastya in IW.
She needs some time, she's young and will have her chance later.
This year it really should be Nastya and lena D. at the Olympics, throught whole their careers they deserve to be there. I think Nastya will keep the lead in Russia till the Olympics. Nadia and Vera aren't to regular so make one great doubles team from Sveta and Lena L and that should go this way.

Buty it definitely is not fair with this places. Really in other disciplines is just who's the best he goes. How many runners from Kenya or Etiopia we have now, and it's like that in tennis with Russians and Americans, they should do something with it.

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Wells said, C_O. Especially about how many runners Kenya and Ethiopia have. Is it fair that those 2 countries dominate long distance running in the Olympics by sending so many runners? Of course it's fair because they have the best long distance runners. There shouldn't be a limit on how many runners Kenya and Ethiopia send to the Olympics. If they have the best long distance runners then those long distance runners should be in the Olympics. And the same should go for tennis in the Olympics. If in an Olympic draw of 64 the Untied States and Russia have the most players ranked in the top 64, all the players ranked in the top 64 should be eligible for the Olympics no matter what country they are form. They should go by the rankings to decide who plays tennis in the Olympics. I would like to know how the ITF came up with the Olympic tennis format. It really is a terrible format and unfair to those players who want to play tennis in the Olympics but can't because their country is already taking 2 players. :(

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
the_cat, you're not understanding the concept of the Olympics.

Besides, unlike basically every sport in the Olympics... the WTA affords the Top 64 players to be playing against each other every week.

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:40 PM
It's the cat not the_cat. Please don't start with the concept of the puritanical Olympics. I think that concept left the Olympics several decades ago. The Olympics is about sending the most accomplished athletes in their sport to the Olympics to compete for medals. And tennis should not be an acception to that rule. But it is. After many top female tennis players pull out of Athens the women's Olympic tennis tournament will be like a watered down WTA Tour Tier ll tournament. In a way that's good because a weaker field mean a better chance for the Russina's to win a gold medal in singles and doubles.

ALPHA
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Wells said, C_O. Especially about how many runners Kenya and Ethiopia have. Is it fair that those 2 countries dominate long distance running in the Olympics by sending so many runners? Of course it's fair because they have the best long distance runners. There shouldn't be a limit on how many runners Kenya and Ethiopia send to the Olympics. If they have the best long distance runners then those long distance runners should be in the Olympics. And the same should go for tennis in the Olympics. If in an Olympic draw of 64 the Untied States and Russia have the most players ranked in the top 64, all the players ranked in the top 64 should be eligible for the Olympics no matter what country they are form. They should go by the rankings to decide who plays tennis in the Olympics. I would like to know how the ITF came up with the Olympic tennis format. It really is a terrible format and unfair to those players who want to play tennis in the Olympics but can't because their country is already taking 2 players. :(
You really don't get it ? :rolleyes:

It's an Olympic event. If you are interested in winning only, go for the Grand Slams in normal format - they are more prestigious anyway.

The athletes - in contrast to you - know that there is more about Olympics. Such things as living and meeting with other athletes FROM OTHER COUNTRIES and other sports in Olympic Village, for example.

Suggestion for you - create the RUSSIAN Olympics in Archangelsk or wherever you want to and put a BIG SIGN on the entrance door of your tennis stadium:

RUSSIANS ONLY !

Epigone
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM
If they are going to limit the number of players from each country, I think that it's only fair that they don't award points for the competition. The points awarded for the Olympics are greater than those awarded for a Tier II tournament. However, by limiting the number of players from each country, you effectively have a weaker field than you would have for a Tier II tournament. I think the the Olympics should be like Fed Cup, in that players aren't awarded points for representing their country. If the players are truly in tune with the Olympic spirit, they shouldn't mind at all.

fresh2flash
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
Suggestion for you - create the RUSSIAN Olympics in Archangelsk or wherever you want to and put a BIG SIGN on the entrance door of your tennis stadium:

RUSSIANS ONLY !

And it will be much more stronger competition than Olympics.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Well said Fresh.

Yes Alpha, the Olympics is about an atmosphere of coming together and friendship as well as winning. And Yevgeny Kafelnikov said he really enjoyed his experience in the Sydney Olympics. But at some point the quality of the competition should matter, too. But the current Olympic tennis format decreases the quality of the tennis event because it does not include all of the top tennis players in the world. But the other Olympic events such as swimming, diving, track and field take the top athletes in their sport to the Olympics. But the tennis event doesn't because they limit the number of players each country can take.

Epi, I agree with your views on Olympic tennis and about how points shouldn't be awarded for Olympic tennis.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Cat....... every event has a limit of 3 for each country, some down to 2.
Athletics, Swimming etc.

thats how it works.
tennis should be an Olympic Sport but the giving of rank pts is just absurd and wrong.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
What are Nadia's and Vera's chances of making the Olympic team?

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cat....... every event has a limit of 3 for each country, some down to 2.
Athletics, Swimming etc.

thats how it works.
tennis should be an Olympic Sport but the giving of rank pts is just absurd and wrong.
Exactly...

As far as I know, every other sport has Olympic trials for each country.

It would be worse for other sports, as well... if you want to see the best basketball, then just allow 8 teams of American NBA players to play. If you want the best cross-country skiers... then the entire field would be Scandinavian.

I absolutely agree that giving ranking points for the Olympics is ludicrous.

Epigone
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:12 AM
So, should there be a trial tournament for the Russians who want to play in the Olympics? :shrug: They could have a trial with a format like the WTA Tour Championships, with the results determining the Olympic team. The court surface would be the same as the Olympic court surface, so the best players on that surface should come out on top. That way, you don't have, for example, a player whose high ranking is largely due to superior claycourt play being selected to play on a hardcourt surface in the Olympics. Is this the fairest way to select the best possible team?

cool_olga
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Wow, that's good idea, would be the best if they did that this way

fresh2flash
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Wow, that's good idea, would be the best if they did that this way
No chance. The leading players even now complain that the Olympics affect their schedules. If they will be forced to play trials in order to get to the Olympic team the natural responce from them will be: Good, I'm off.

cool_olga
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Right, didn't think of it....
So there's no fair way to chose team by tournament, so we just have to hope that they'll chose right players

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Vera deserves to play Fed Cup. She was forced into an impossible position last fall. And Sveta deserves to go.
Sharapova has beaten one top 40 player since last summer. She doesn't deserve to be on the team.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Then why is Tarpischev trying to get Maria Sharapova to be on the Russian Fed Cup team? I guess he doesn't think she's unqualified to be on the team. With Anastasia Myskina injured and Elena Dementieva playing the 2 green clay court tournaments in America I'm not suprised Tarpischev is trying to get Sharapova on the Fed Cup team. Unless Myskina is fully recovered from her toe injury she won't be on the Russian fed Cup team for their first round tie against Australia. And Tarpischev doesn't want to take Dementieva on the team because of her shoulder injury and service problems and the fact that Elena is playing alot of tennis in America and would probaly be tired for the first round Fed Cup tie against Australia. I hope Maria Kirilenko is one of the practice partners for the Russian Fed Cup team. Because Little Masha and Big Masha are friends I think Sharpaova's transition as a memeber of the 2004 Russian Fed Cup team would be made easier if her Kirilenko was there as a practice partner and as Sharapova's friend. :)

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Russia can lose this tie. They have to take their best team. Nastya and Elena want to play. This is an Olympic year.
Even if both do not play, Nadia, Vera, and Sveta have to be there.
And it's vital that Lena L. plays Fed Cup doubles with Sveta before Athens. Assuming Lena L. is on the Olympic team.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Nadia Petrova wiped out Alicia Molik at the Nasdaq-100 Open so she should be on the Russian Fed Cup team in the first round tie against Australia because she can handle Molik and her big serve.

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
This tie should be taken just as seriously as the semi against France. You have to take your best players. Even then you might lose.
Don't lose because you don't take your best.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:17 PM
But if Russia's 2 best players are injured or tired then they should not be taken.

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Elena and Nadia were in Moscow, and didn't play. I saw Minsk, and the men. You have to bring your best players, period.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Even if their best players are injured or tired? Russia should beat Australia even without Myskina and Dementieva as part of the team.

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Australia on grass will not be easy. If the same coach loses first round with both the men and the women, how can you keep him?
You have to try to win. It's your obligation as a coach.

Lady
Apr 6th, 2004, 03:46 PM
This is what Elena said about Fed Cup!

- В сборную России на апрельский матч Fed Cup против команды Австралии приглашения еще не подучили?

- Пока нет, хотя, по-моему, пора бы ему уже поступить. Хотелось бы знать планы руководства команды насчет состава. Я с удовольствием сыграю, если пригласят.

bubble
Apr 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM
This is what Elena said about Fed Cup!

- В сборную России на апрельский матч Fed Cup против команды Австралии приглашения еще не подучили?

- Пока нет, хотя, по-моему, пора бы ему уже поступить. Хотелось бы знать планы руководства команды насчет состава. Я с удовольствием сыграю, если пригласят.
Will any kind Russian RR pal care to translate? :angel:

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Here it goes, bubble:
-- Have you already recieved a call to the Russian squad against Australia?
-- No, and i'm a bit surprised. It is time already to make a decision. I need to know the plans of the Russian captain concerning me. Needless to say I will enjoy playing for the team.
:)

bubble
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Here it goes, bubble:
-- No, and i'm a bit surprised. It is time already to make a decision. I need to know the plans of the Russian captain concerning me. Needless to say I will enjoy playing for the team.
:wavey: Thanks Fresh :)

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Here it goes, bubble:
A little decorated there... :) "concering me"?

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Shamil is a bastard! How could he not invite her to the team yet?! Who else is he planningto put on the team if Nastya might be injured (I'm sure she didn't get her call yet). If he makes the sqaud to weak Russia will lose. I'm pretty sure that if he outs teenagers on the team he'll send them to play.

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I really hope he sends Shyperova over the deserving players... and Russia loses because of it.

This is pure bullshit.

moo_ont
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
tenn_ace mentioned in another thread that he chose Myskina and Vera Z. and other 2 younger Russians, maybe Maria S and Sveta.

tenn_ace
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM
yeap, it's Maria and Sveta

moo_ont
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
yeap, it's Maria and Sveta
Is it comfirmed or it's just his plan?

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Shamil I hate you! Lena is inbetter form than Vera now! Anyway, would this madness end when the Olympics are over?

bubble
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Or maybe he thinks Elena is still "work in progress" status and decide not to put her to battle yet...

moo_ont
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I also don't know why he chose Vera. Maybe, she gets along with Myskina, Maria, and Sveta better than Lena D. But this is not the case. He may not want her to play too much considering she got injured after playing FedCup in the past few yrs. The thing is he should let her know his decision. I think Elena still thinks he will invite her.:o

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Well he better think that Elena is "completed" for the Olympics, coz I would literally kill him he doesn't let her 'defend' the medal.

tenn_ace
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
as for young guns he sounded like he was sure... Vera and Nastia are under questions... here is an article

Тарпищев назвал состав сборной России
http://www.gazeta.ru/i2/lg.gif

Как сообщалось ранее Шамиль Тарпищев намерен задействовать в командном чемпионате мира молодых российских теннисисток, чтобы дать им шанс попасть на Олимпиаду в Афинах. Это подтвердил во вторник сам капитан сборной России по теннису в интервью РИА "Новости".
Согласно регламенту Международной теннисной федерации (ITF), в теннисном олимпийском турнире смогут принять участие только те спортсменки, которые будут заиграны за сборные своих стран в Кубке Федераций.
По словам Тарпищева, состав на матч против сборной Австралии, который пройдет 24-25 апреля на Малой спортивной арене в Лужниках, будет определяться по системе "две молодых спортсменки плюс две по классификации".
"Олимпиада – главное соревнование этого года, и мы просто обязаны дать шанс молодым спортсменкам", – сказал Тарпищев, отметив при этом, что на матч с австралийками, скорее всего, будут заявлены Светлана Кузнецова и Мария Шарапова.
Более того, при успешном исходе матча против сборной Австралии на следующем этапе Тарпищев подключит к выступлениям за сборную и Динару Сафину. Что же касается двух других членов сборной России, то ими, по всей вероятности, станут более опытные Анастасия Мыскина и Вера Звонарева.
По словам специалиста, небольшая травма пальца, из-за которой Мыскина снялась с турнира в Майами, в настоящий момент не вызывает опасений.
Как сказал Тарпищев, подготовку к первому матчу в Кубке Федераций-2004 его подопечные начнут в воскресенье, 18 апреля.
Покрытие на кортах будет точно таким же, какое стелят на традиционном московском турнире "Кубок Кремля" - "Терафлекс". //«Газета.Ru»

I have to warn, that it was posted in the "drunk" website...

moo_ont
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM
And, where is Nadia? :confused: She is the Russian No.3, and she is in good form. Shamil is weird.:o

tenn_ace
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Maria and Nadia together in one team?.... sounds like utopia... ;)

moo_ont
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Maria and Nadia together in one team?.... sounds like utopia... ;)
:lol: :haha:

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM
He has a reason. Australia really is a team against which you can test new players. But the problem is: he cannot lose against Australia. Russia already lost a home final last year, so they cannot afford another loss. So I guess his choice is quite balanced. Two top players in case the things will go not as he intends them to go, and two young players to seal the victory. We'll see.

cool_olga
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:27 PM
It sounds good Fresh but still it should be Lena D. not Vera I think...Or at least nadia, what Vera did the last few weeks? I guess nothing really special, haven't heard her name often.

Would somebody be so kind and translate this article teen_ace posted? Or at least said what's there...

So Nastya playes Fed Cup, that's good for the team, it's like they have 2 singles wins...

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM
It sounds good Fresh but still it should be Lena D. not Vera I think...Or at least nadia, what Vera did the last few weeks? .
I think here is a very good reason:

Of course, in case Elena insists she will be selected. But common sense can convince her that she would use this time better for getting her singles games together and there is no need to jump onto carpet in the middle of her clay season. Besides, she should be reminded, that last year route - Greenclay(USA)-carpet(Moscow)-Redclay(Europe) got her injured and killed her red clay season.

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Molik is in such a great form lately (she just did a double bagel) that I don't trust Zvonareva on this. I'm convinced that Vera has no more than 50% chance of getting past Alicia. Sveta could do it, provided that she keeps the level of the last month, which is under question. And Sharapova....I hope Shamil has enough brains not to put her up against Molik. It'll be a disaster.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM
What are you talking about Vass? Maria would beat Molik and would likely routine her in the process. Maria can serve with Molik and she has much better ground strokes than Molik does. But if Sharapova and Molik were in a bench pressing contest Alicia would win for sure because she is massive. ;)

And Vass, I also think Elena deserves the chance to defend her Sydney silver medal in Athens. But if her serve doesn't improve Tarpischev might not include Elena on the 2004 Olympic team.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Sharapova has beaten one top 40 player since last summer. Molik will be a huge favorite against her.
And who plays doubles with Sveta if the tie is 2-2?
Anyone who takes Sharapova over Nadia is crazy.
Australia should beat this Russian team. This might be the worst team you can send.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Nadia Petrova just routed Alicia Molik at the Nasdaq-100 Open and Maria can beat her too. GL, how can Molik be a "huge favorite" over Masha when she's ranked #39 and Mashara is ranked #19?

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Sharapova is #32 in 2004 points. Dinara is #20. Sharapova's ranking is from last year, winning tournaments without playing a top 40 player.
Nadia is in the top 10. She just beat Molik and Dechy, good players. And Nadia just won a Tier I doubles title.
And Nadia has Fed Cup experience. Sharapova does not belong on the team. She would weaken it greatly.

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Nadia Petrova just routed Alicia Molik at the Nasdaq-100 Open and Maria can beat her too. GL, how can Molik be a "huge favorite" over Masha when she's ranked #39 and Mashara is ranked #19?
You really just proved the other side of the argument to be correct....

Nadia crushed Molik. Nadia deserves to be on the team. Maria has neither.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Nadia is a better player. In singles and doubles. Nadia is ranked higher. She is playing much better now. There is no argument here. It's a bad team, a stupid selection.

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM
This is a total joke.

I'm embarassed to be a Russian fan.

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:36 PM
The youngsters would have their time in the future, why can't Shamil pick from the top players now? Let Safina, Sharapova grow up a bit while Lena, Nastya, Nadia take care of Russia now...

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Well Leenah maybe I did kind of prove that Petrova belongs on the Fed Cup team. I never said she didn't. And I suppose you and GL are going to leave out Petrova's and Sharapova's head to head record which is 1-0 Sharpaova with a routine of a win over Petrova. ;)

Vass22
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:38 PM
This is a total joke.

I'm embarassed to be a Russian fan.
Me too.
It's time for Olga Morozova to become the Pres. of the R. Tennis Federation. Maybe she'll lure some guys to play tennis as well.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Lena L. beat Sharapova. And Lena is a top doubles player. She should be on this team before Sharapova.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM
I don't think so Vass. Olga Morozova is too busy coaching Elena Dementieva and living in England. She would need to move back to Russia in order to become the Russian Fed Cup captain. I'm not sure she would be willing to do that. And being the captain of the Fed Cup team require alot of time to survey the situation. And I'm not sure Olga has that kind of time. But Tarpischev does.

Maria could make her Russian Fed Cup debut at 17 years of age. Anna Kournikova made her Russian Fed Cup debut when she was only 14 years old. It's time for Masha to play for her country. :) And the injury to Anastasia Myskina and playing alot of tennis leading up to the Fed Cup tie against Australia for Elena Dementieva, Nadia Petrova, Vera Zvonareva and Svetlana Kuznetsova is making Shamil Tarpishcev's seslection process easier. He wants players to be fresh and ready to do Fed Cup battle against Australia. He doesn't want players coming from playing grueling tennis in America to play Fed Cup for Russia when they are tired.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I think this team will lose to Australia. It's like he's trying to pick the worst team possible.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Russia should be able to beat Australia with their second team. :) And evidently captain Tarpischev feels that way as well.

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Russia should be able to beat Australia with their second team.
I agree.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Thank you Fresh. :) Atleast somebody agrees with me about somehting where the Russian Fed Cup team is concerned. ;)

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I don't agree. Molik can win twice, like Max in Minsk. And Sveta with a new partner is no sure thing.
This is a stupid team. The coach/ captain, whatever he is, deserves to lose for picking it.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Does Tarpischev deserve to lose his job even if Russia beats Australia?

Some people blame Tarpischev for not playing Marat Safin in what was supposed to be his second singles match in the Davis Cup tie against Belarus? Safin said he wasn't feeling well and asked out of the match? Is Tarpishcev suppesed to tell Safin the present and future of Russian men's tennis that he has to play the match even if he isn't feeling well?

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:44 PM
If Russia loses to Australia, without bringing one of their best teams, he should definately be fired.
This is a great period for Russian tennis. You would never know it from Fed Cup results.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Maybe Tarpischev feels that he can take a young Fed Cup team and make it into champions. I think he's only looking to a Maria Sharapova led Russian Fed Cup team because the oether top Russina's are either playing alot of tennis or injured. Let's let everything unfold and see who ends up on the Russina Fed Cup team before criticing Tarpischev for his selections.

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
If Russia loses to Australia, without bringing one of their best teams, he should definately be fired.I don't see how the president of the Russian tennis federation can be fired. But that's not the point. I don't see how even depleted Russian team can lose to Australia at home and on the surface least suitable for Aussies? I don't believe Molik can win both of her matches against Myskina and Zvonareva. Even one victory will be a huge success for her. Who else can win for Australia? Double team? Maybe. But by that time the score will be 4:0 or 3:1 so they can win if they want to.

Edit: BTW the team is yet to be announced. Maybe he will call Myskina, Dementieva and Petrova. Who knows?

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Vera is not playing well. Certainly not with consistency. Molik had match points against Sveta in IW.
Nastya is coming off a layoff. She just lost to Meghann in Dubai off a layoff.
After that semi in Moscow, I don't see how you do not take your best players.
This is not a vacation trip. It's sports. You try to win.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Gee GL you sure are relentless! :boxing: And I'm worn out from this debate and not being able to change your mind. :zzz: Later. :wavey: :hug: :smooch: :cat:

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Dictators can be overthrown. Presidents can be impeached. Anyone can be fired if they are incompetent.

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Yes, Russia will probably win with their second team... although, playing the lower ranked girls does give more chance of loss... but that's not the point.

Players EARN their way on the Fed Cup team. I remember Lena B after US Open, when her ranking got around 30. Her main goal was making the Fed Cup, and she deserved her spot. Then, in the 1st round matches, she was extremely sick... and stupidly tried to play, even though everyone knew there was no way she could. Fed Cup meant everything to her.

And I'm sure that the other Russian girls feel the same.

The girls work all year to receive that honor... and it's simply wrong to just give it Sharapova, Safina... who absolutely have not shown they deserve it.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I don't know why people assume the Russian team will just show up and win.
You win because you have better players on those days, not because you leave top players at home.
It's never easy. We should all know that by now.

fresh2flash
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Dictators can be overthrown. Presidents can be impeached. Anyone can be fired if they are incompetent.
You don't know Tarpischev. :) And I guess you don't know what it is - Russian bureaucracy. What's more Tarpischev is liked by everybody because he acts like a guy who lives next door.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM
LOL! The guy next door to me knows nothing about tennis.

ys
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I don't see how the president of the Russian tennis federation can be fired. But that's not the point. I don't see how even depleted Russian team can lose to Australia at home and on the surface least suitable for Aussies?
You are kidding, right? If we'd play it on red clay, I would agree. No Aussie likes red clay. But all Aussies like fast courts. While the best of our players - Zvonareva and Kuznetsova don't like them. Sveta was hardly winning any matches on carpet, and so was Vera. In this scenario we really have to rely heavily on Nastya sweeping her singles and getting another point somewhere else, because even doubles against team of Molik/Stubbs is really a tossup.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I don't understand the smug attitude of - "We don't need to send our best."
This could turn into a very difficult tie even with the best Russian players being chosen.

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:49 PM
While Vera's game may not look like it suits faster surfaces... she has some fine results on it. And she says indoors is her favorite surface.

Besides, concerning the women's game, I don't think surface makes much difference...

- L i n a -
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I absolutely agree...

Molik and Pratt are very capable players... and on a fast court, especially Molik, can be very dangerous if her game is on.

ys
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Besides, concerning the women's game, I don't think surface makes much difference...
It does. Think about Maleeva, for instance. Indoors she is a worldbeater. Anywhere else just am also-run..

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Hey Fresh. I guess Tarpischev is the guy next door the way a girl is the girl next door. ;)

Russia currently has 6 players in the top 20 rankings. How many does Australia have in the top 20? None. There is no need to worry. Some people make it seem like Tarpischev will put players on the Fed Cup team ranked outside of the top 100.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I don't know how much corruption is involved in business and politics.
But I do know that if you choose to take a second rate team, and lose, then you are a terrible captain.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:51 AM
It seems that Tarpischev is very popular with the people that matter most.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:55 AM
And it seems he abuses the privilege.

- L i n a -
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Anna is very popular in Russia, too. Let's put her on the team.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:59 AM
They are doing that. With Kourna-clona # 25. Except this one is not a draw.
Maybe 20 people were at her televised match in Memphis.

- L i n a -
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Are you talking about Petrova? She has not won any titles. Thus, she is obviously horrible.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Nadia is in the top 10. She just took home $170,000 from Key Biscayne. She belongs on the team.

tenn_ace
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Nadia is in the top 10. She just took home $170,000 from Key Biscayne. She belongs on the team.

you mean she can buy a place on the team... for $170,000?;)

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I guess that's the corruption everyone is talking about.
Is IMG paying to push Nadia out for a lower ranked player?

tenn_ace
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:40 AM
...I don't think it's IMG... the lower ranked player dad is just stronger than Nadia's coach :D

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:43 AM
LOL! Tell that to the garbage pail.

tenn_ace
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I'm sure it witnessed everything first hand :lol:

fresh2flash
Apr 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
You are kidding, right? If we'd play it on red clay, I would agree. No Aussie likes red clay. But all Aussies like fast courts. While the best of our players - Zvonareva and Kuznetsova don't like them. Sveta was hardly winning any matches on carpet, and so was Vera. In this scenario we really have to rely heavily on Nastya sweeping her singles and getting another point somewhere else, because even doubles against team of Molik/Stubbs is really a tossup.
Molik a carpet specialist? She didn't win a main draw match on carpet neither last nor the year before. Pratt didn't play on carpet last year at all. While Zvonareva who of course prefers clay to other surfaces still reached the 1/4 in Moscow for instance. Zvonareva is just a player of a higher class than Molic and much more higher than Pratt and to her it makes no difference what surfaces Molik and Pratt like or dislike. She'll beat them on all with the only exception of grass maybe.

Vass22
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Some guys are too confident in our team. I was confident for the finals last year, but they lost. This year I'm careful.

Vass22
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Molik a carpet specialist? She didn't win a main draw match on carpet neither last nor the year before. Pratt didn't play on carpet last year at all. While Zvonareva who of course prefers clay to other surfaces still reached the 1/4 in Moscow for instance. Zvonareva is just a player of a higher class than Molic and much more higher than Pratt and to her it makes no difference what surfaces Molik and Pratt like or dislike. She'll beat them on all with the only exception of grass maybe.
Molik plays better and better and she like fast courts. I think she'll be contradicting many of her previus statistics this year.

fresh2flash
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Molik plays better and better and she like fast courts.
I also like fast courts, but that doesn't mean I'll beat Vera on them. :)

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I believe Russia will have a Fed Cup team very capable of beating Australia.

cool_olga
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Well if he still takes Nastya then it's okay, she's great on carpet and should win both her matches. And I'm pretty sure girls will get 3rd point in rest of the matches. But I hope she won't take Masha...If he did it'd be maybe just for the fact she's so popular and pretty. She could lose to Molik I think. Vera or Nadia should go. Right now Nadia seems to be better.

tenn_ace
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
The only reason I could think of why Shamil is doing it is to keep ALL the girls close to home.... you never know when you will need them.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM
When coaches make low percentage decisions and lose, they are always second guessed.
If an inferior Russian Fed Cup team loses in Australia, there is only one person to blame.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Good point, tenn_ace.

GL, whoever plays Fed Cup for Russia against Australia will be much higher ranked than Alicia Molik and Nicole Pratt. The odds are in Russia's favor to win this Fed Cup tie against Australia even if the top 20 Russina's don't play.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Molik lost 7-5, 7-5 to Mauresmo in the fourth round of the AO. Anyone who thinks she is an easy opponent is not realistic. You need players who can beat a top 20 player, who is playing at home, in front of their crowd.
It's not easy.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:13 PM
GL, I don't think Maria Sharapova should be added to the Russian Fed Cup team without playing her way onto the team by winning her practice matches against her compatriots. I'm under the impression that Masha will be named to the team but that doesn't mean she will be on the active squad that takes on Australia in the first round of the Fed Cup. Sharapova is ranked #19 and Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva are questionable becuase of injuries and Vera Zvonareva, Nadia Petrova and Svetlana Kuznetsova are questionable because of their schedules. So it makes sense for Shamil Tarpschev to inquire about Mashara's availabilty as well as Dinara Safina's.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
All the Russians want to play in this Olympics. So they all want to play Fed Cup this year.
You take the best players. There should be no discussion here.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Of course there should be a discussion. Myskina and Dementieva are injured which opens up 2 spots on the Fed Cup team. And Verana dMaria should have to play a practice match in Moscow to determine who plays the second singles if Myskina and Dementieva don't play and Petrova or Kuznetsova aren't on the team.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Nastya is going to be healthy. So are Vera, Nadia and Sveta. I think Lena L. should be on the team.
But the team comes from that group. Nadia and Sveta can play doubles. I don't know who plays doubles in the Olympics.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:45 PM
The Russian Olympic team comes form that group if they are healthy. But Myskina. Dementieva and Petrova are injury prone so who know's what the Russian Olympic team will look like this summer.

And if Maria has a good summer and Dementieva's serve is still a mess I can see Tarpischev taking Masha instead of Elena to Athens. What if Masha is ranked ahead of Petrova, Zvonareva and Kuznetsova the summer? Then no one can say anyhting if Tarpischev pulls the old switcharoo and adds Sharapova to the Russian Olympic team.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Nadia seems to be in good form now. Singles and doubles. Sveta can play both also.
Nastya and Vera won tournaments this year.
Everyone is pointing for the Olympics. Including Elena D.
They all plan on being healthy.

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
And if Maria has a good summer and Dementieva's serve is still a mess I can see Tarpischev taking Masha instead of Elena to Athens.
As much as I respect your opinion, I don't see that happen. Elena has had this problem since forever, but she's still be able to be a consistent top-10. She can beat a good player with that serve. Why does he has to take her off of the team with this reason.:confused:

the cat
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:06 AM
It's only a possibility, moo. Tarpischev has proven himself to not always make the obvious move and that makes his choices for the Russian Fed Cup and Olympic teams very interesting.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Elena's main goal for the whole year is to make this Olympic team. Same for Sveta.
It's a high priority for Nastya. And Nadia, and Vera. They all want to be on the team.

the cat
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
GL, the players you named who want to be on the Russian Olympic tennis team in Athens might not be chosen by Tarpischev. He just might make a surprise pick for the team.

cool_olga
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I think Nastya will do everything to be healthy for the Olympics. Her best memory was taking part in Sydney so that mean much for her. She's the highest ranked Russian for a year so there should be no question for her to go. She should be 100% in team.
With other girl you can't be sure. There is Elena D, Nadia, Vera, Sveta, Masha very close to each other in ranking so that can change till summer so to pick up the team I think it's too early to say now. Everything can change a lot...
Maybe one of them will win grand slam and will earn place in team automatickly? ;) j/k but would hope so :P

the cat
Apr 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Well said, C_O. You are always very logical in your posts.

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2004, 12:20 AM
GL, the players you named who want to be on the Russian Olympic tennis team in Athens might not be chosen by Tarpischev. He just might make a surprise pick for the team.
I just hope a Russian player can win a medal. I think we have a real chance is doubles. A slight chance in singles.

cool_olga
Apr 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM
You Russians are very lucky to have so many good players. Poland would be very happy if only a Pllish player would be able to take part at the Olympics...The best chance is our doubles team but in singles it's very poor here. Russia is very lucky

the cat
Apr 9th, 2004, 02:41 PM
GL, if the Williams sisters and Kim Clijsters don't show up for the Olympics the Russians odds to win a medal in singles and doubles will go way up! :D

cool_olga
Apr 9th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Would be good :) But from what I heard Serena is going, isn't she? And Justine is going as well. Just Kim not...

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2004, 07:23 PM
It will be hard to win a medal in singles. It will be difficult in doubles also.
It's not supposed to be easy.

Epigone
Apr 9th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Based on her form this season, does Vera deserve to play on the second Russian Olympic doubles team? She has made the final of Memphis with Maria S, the SF of IW with Nastya and the SF of AI with Lina K. Do these good results and the fact that she has achieved them with three different Russian players make her the best contender for selection?

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2004, 11:12 PM
We don't know who will be chosen. Sveta seems definate. Lena L. may not be a certainty. Nadia just won Miami doubles. Lena B. won the AO mixed.
I think it's wide open. Especially from what I read about the Fed Cup selections.

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I don't care how corrupt or incompetent the Fed Cup captain is. How can you not take Nadia? Or not take Sveta?
How? They beat Serena and Justine.

cool_olga
Apr 10th, 2004, 09:03 AM
I heard Serena had some problems with her knee...But still impressive win from Nadia!
As I said, now Nadia is on fire, and Sveta, But you can't know how it will be in few months, form comes and goes.

the cat
Apr 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM
That's very true about tennis players, C_O. Their form comes and it goes. Especially with young players.

With the U.S. Open taking place so soon after the tennis competition in the Olympics is over, I expect alot of top players sauch as the Williams sisters, to pull out of Athens to concentrate on the U.S. Open.

fresh2flash
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
The squad has been announced. They are Myskina, Petrova, Zvonareva and Kuznetzova. Dementieva and Likhovtzeva are substitutes. So I guess Tarpischev is not that incompetent as some of you guys think he is? ;)

ys
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I think we have just got our Olympic team selected.

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:50 PM
why doesn't he choose elena d.? she must be sad :(.

ys
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
She is sad. Tarpishev said in his interview that Elena is very upset with her non-selection, but he hopes she understands that it is for her own good.

fresh2flash
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I think she is rather furious than sad. He said in today's paper that of all top Russian players Dementieva is least relyable.

Epigone
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Vera is in :woohoo:

Elena D :sad:

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:00 PM
She is sad. Tarpishev said in his interview that Elena is very upset with her non-selection, but he hopes she understands that it is for her own good.
for her own good?

I think she is rather furious than sad. He said in today's paper that of all top Russian players Dementieva is least relyable.
he is so mean saying that.:fiery:

fresh2flash
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM
In fact if he called her personally, explained the situation and confirmed that she is still part of the team I hope Alyona won't bear a grudge. But it is a sore blow to her.

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:10 PM
In fact if he called her personally, explained the situation and confirmed that she is still part of the team I hope Alyona won't bear a grudge. But it is a sore blow to her.
elena plays for russia almost everytime. she must be so upset. i wouldnt be surprised if she lost tomorrow.:mad: elena. :crying2:

goldenlox
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM
This a Fed Cup team, not the Olympic team. And this is a very strong team.
Lena knows how many good players are eligible for this team.
If players ranked below Sveta were picked, then Elena should be angry.

moo_ont
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:18 PM
I'm okay with his decision. Elena has serious problems on her serve. And, she is in the process of changing it. I must accept her serve is now worse than before. So, she should understand him. Anyway, I agree with Steph that she might be too upset to play well tomorrow. :sobbing:

goldenlox
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Lena is a professional. It's her job to play her best. To try her best.
I'm sure she will.

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:22 PM
but me thinks what he said elena is the least reliable is too mean. it sounds like she is not qualified. :(

moo_ont
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Lena is a professional. It's her job to play her best. To try her best.
I'm sure she will.
I hope so, GL.

ys
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:35 PM
but me thinks what he said elena is the least reliable is too mean. it sounds like she is not qualified. :(
I think that "consistent" would be a better translation of what he said than "reliable".

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:38 PM
I think that "consistent" would be a better translation of what he said than "reliable".
ok. that's betta. did you read anything about "for her own good"? what did he say?

ys
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:47 PM
did you read anything about "for her own good"? what did he say?
No. But he said that she is having a lot of injuries and has problems with serve and that he hopes that they will understand each other well. He does say that either of Elenas can quite possibly be in final selection for the tie that will be declared in 10 days.

Stephieva
Apr 13th, 2004, 11:51 PM
No. But he said that she is having a lot of injuries and has problems with serve and that he hopes that they will understand each other well. He does say that either of Elenas can quite possibly be in final selection for the tie that will be declared in 10 days.
can't deny what he said.:o if it's for her own good, it's ok. thanx ys.

moo_ont
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Does Elena have to play Fed Cup this year in order to play the Olympics?

the cat
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM
This is a serious blow to Elena. :( How can Tarpischev choose Zvonareva instead of Dementieva when Zvonareva lost 2 singles in the Fed Cup semifinals last year in Moscow? Maybe Tarpischev didn't hear the Elena beat Venus Williams and routined Nadia Petrova at the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open. Elena has been loyal to Russia for her entire career and life. But this is a slap in the face that has to hurt Elena deeply. :sad: Kisses for "The Darling One"! :kiss: :smooch:

P.S. - It's time for Elena to leave Moscow and train elsewhere such as in Florida. It will be for the betterment of her career if she finally uproots herself from Russia to train and live abroad.

P.P.S. - No moo, Elena doesn't have to play on the Russian Fed Cup team to be eligable for Athens. She just has to make herself available to play for Russian Fed Cup team.

goldenlox
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Vera won a tournament this year. Elena played well in Miami, but Elena has not been healthy most of 2004.

moo_ont
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks, Cat. I think the captain is right about Elena. She's not healthy and having problems on serve. It's better for her to take some time off to take some rest and practice on her weekness. I think he believes these 4 girls can handle Australia without any problems. Elena should try to understand him. I believe Olga will try to help explain the situation and make Elena feel better.

ys
Apr 14th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Very simple choice, really. Myskina, Kuznetsova are obvious choices. They are already in Moscow. So it is basically between Petrova, Zvonareva and Dementieva. Petrova has just destroyed Molik. So she is an obvious choice too. And we are here with a choice between healthy Zvonareva and Dementieva. With all due respect, when Lena stays injury-free for a month, then I would say she has every reason to be really pissed off for being not selected.

the cat
Apr 14th, 2004, 01:12 AM
You're welcome, moo.

Elena's pride is hurt and I understand that. I hope Elena uses being left off the Russian Fed Cup team as motivation and gets fired up to play her best tennis and do everything possible to improve her serve and her game. Because Elena has the best body of the Russina's and she still has a big upside. I only hope she realizes that.

tenn_ace
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:19 AM
big big mistake... Lena D. not in the team? still can't believe it. :rolleyes:

and that's someone who's been carrying that team for years? who is #2 Russian player?

stupid. all i can say. that fricking idiot will be sorry one day for being so inconsistent in his choices.

- L i n a -
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Lena D. not being included on our Russian Fed Cup team is a complete joke.

I refuse to support, or even acknowledge this team, unless all people in charge are replaced.

Embarassing.

goldenlox
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Sveta and Nastya are doing the best this year so far. Nadia just beat Serena, and Molik.
It's Vera or Lena.

tenn_ace
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Lena just beat Nadia. demolished her. she also beat Venus (even though she's not in her best form, but so wasn't Serena when Nadia beat her)...

goldenlox
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Nadia also just beat the #1 doubles team twice. I think beating Serena 6-2, 6-3 is meaningful.
And Nadia beat Molik even worse.

tenn_ace
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:33 AM
so that's why he should have used ranking. Lena should send him to 3 letters next time he calls her...

goldenlox
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:34 AM
The rankings were used, except for Lena, who withdrew last week.

- L i n a -
Apr 14th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Lena's ranked higher... she just reached the final of Miami...

If she's healthy like she says... No questions asked that she should be on the team.