PDA

View Full Version : Reports on some Russians from Tuesday

sartrista7
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I didn't see as many as I would've liked... missed Lina, Sveta and Lena, and I had to meet someone outside the grounds during Yevgeny's match. But given how many Russians there were, it would have been impossible to get through a whole day without seeing any of them :D

Safina v Molik - well, Dinara's amazing, but a headcase. I got there at the start of the second set; no idea what happened in the first, but Dinara really started to dominate at this point. She was winning points comfortably on serve and although she frittered away many chances on the Molik serve, she was always pushing her and the break was inevitable. Molik seemed to have a lot of trouble with the bounce, and kept sending her sliced backhands into the net, while Dinara was just pounding winners all over the place. The pattern continued in the third - I think until 4-4 Dinara only conceded one point on her serve. Then at 4-4 she fell apart :rolleyes: UEs all over the place and handed the match to Molik on a plate. Disappointing, but she'll learn from it. The Aussie fans were wankers. Very loud and uncouth.

Myskina v Nagyova - abysmal. I dragged my cousin to see this instead of Agassi on Centre Court, and I couldn't stop him whining. Nastya was hitting the ball at about half her normal pace, her second serve was even more miserable than usual and on two occasions she smashed Nagyova's pathetic lobs into the BACK WALL. She was at least able to keep the ball in court for extended periods of time, though, unlike Nagyova, and there was really no excuse for losing any of the four games she did lose in the first set. Near the end she did hit a rather marvellous drop shot, and Nagyova fell getting there, which is why she retired. It seems Nastya improved in R2, which is good... it was lucky I could watch Nalbandian v Voltchkov over the wall in court 2 at the same time.

Sharapova v Harkleroad - well, ever since I saw Masha thrash Avants in last year's juniors I've been raving about her to people, and she was about a hundred times better this year. For someone with so little inexperience and so much power, the tiny amount of UEs was extraordinary. She plays with an intensity which hardly anyone on tour can match. Ashley's defence was pretty good, but Masha hardly let herself get frustrated; it was just a complete thrashing. What's most impressive is that, even now, there's no obvious weakness. Masha doesn't just bash from the baseline; she constructs points and thinks through games really well too. Her second serve isn't as strong as it could be, and her experiments with volleying weren't too successful, but I'm almost certain that Sharapova is a future Wimbledon champion.

Sorry this is rather late... I've not been near a computer since Sunday :D

the cat
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the report, S7! :) Better late than never! ;)

I am so pleased Maria Sharapova is playing so well! :D But please don't jinx her by saying she is a future Wimbledon champion. :mad:

Udachi Maria and the rest of the Russinas! :bounce:

vaiva
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks sartrista7 :kiss:

It's never too late to report on Russinas since they get the attention only if they beat higher-ranked Americans :D

sartrista7
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:14 PM
I am so pleased Maria Sharapova is playing so well! :D But please don't jinx her by saying she is a future Wimbledon champion. :mad:

Oh, it won't jinx her... I haven't said anything about any of the other girls' progress, because I'm scared of jinxing them, but Masha's beyond all of that. That kid is something special. Nothing will stop her :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:41 PM
hi Alex
I saw most of those matches (missed Nastya cos of Lina) and only saw Dinara from early set 2.

too right about Dinara, 4-4 in 3rd, it all went pear-shaped.
Masha was awesome all week, didn't get to see her today sadly cos of clashes with Alyona.

Can't believe i still haven't seen Sveta at all playing there, damn clashes :mad: :fiery:

King Aaron
Jun 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks. :)
Eggy, can't believe you didn't see Maria play Jelena.

sartrista7
Jun 29th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Can't believe i still haven't seen Sveta at all playing there, damn clashes :mad: :fiery:

you know... I have never, ever seen Sveta play singles. I'm really pissed off that I missed her, but it clashed with Masha v Ashley... and she destroyed Bielik, so it was over before I had a chance to move (had top row court 3 seats, didn't want to give them up). Er, I think the likelihood of the BBC showing Masha v Sveta is minimal to say the least.

How was Lina playing? Her form's been worrying recently.

the cat
Jun 29th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Who is Alex? Sartrista 7? Is that Alex as in Alexander or Alexandra? :confused: Alexander I presume.