PDA

View Full Version : FINAL: Maria Sharapova v Barbora Strycova

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:30 AM
two worthy finalists and thoroughly reserve to get there.

Barbora saving match points in SF.

Barbora has been around the top of the juniors for around 18 months and is 15 still against 14 yr old rookie Sharky Sharapova.

Should be a cracker. Barbora doesn't have much to hurt Maria with.

I'm going for a win for Masha.

good luck girl and be the youngest slam winner since a certain Ms Hingis.

AjdeNate!
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Good luck Maria!! :)

the cat
Jan 26th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Eggy, didn't Maria win their last match, after Barbora won their first two matches?

Why was Maria able to beat Sue-Wei, when Svetlana couldn't?

Udachi Maria!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 26th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Maria moves better than Sveta

Su-Wei was rushed into errors by Maria getting to balls just like Sveta had been in their QF

Maria was able to hit winners as well and come into net to put away easy balls

arn
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Gooo Maria :) :)

bubble
Jan 26th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Good luck to Maria!

Martian KC
Jan 27th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Barbora won 6-0 7-5!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Congrats girl!!!

arn
Jan 27th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Congrats Barbara! :)

What a dissapointing first set! :(

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:41 PM
poor Maria :(

she was just too nervous.

Barbora is a worthy champ so congrats to her.

Strycova couldn?t conceal her delight at capturing the Australian Open girls? title. ?It?s an unbelievable feeling, I never won a Grand Slam before,? said the 15-year-old Czech.

Strycova proved unstoppable in the first set but had to battle hard in the second as Sharapova mounted a fight back, twice coming from a break down. ?I think Maria was nervous before the match, so I won the first set easy. It the second set she was much better so it was hard to win.?

Strycova will celebrate her win with friends and family before coming straight back down to earth with a bump by getting back to her studies. Even Australian Open champions have to go to school, though Strycova probably doesn?t agree. ?I hate school,? she said firmly.

Despite his loss in the singles final, Todd Reid had some cheery news today, he and his partner Ryan Henry emerged as boys doubles champions without hitting a shot. The Romanian teaming of Florian Mergea and Horia Tecau had to conced a walkover today when Tecau pulled up short just before the match with an abdominal strain.

For Angelique Widjaja from Indonesia a second grand slam title came her way today. Admittedly it was not the Wimbedon singles title but the feeling is just as good, the Australian Open girls doubles title. Teamed with Gisella Dulko from Argentina, herself a previous Grand Slam doubles titlest, they took on the number one seeded players Svetlana Kuznetsova and Matea Mezak and came out the victors with a final score of 62 57 64.

the cat
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Too bad for Maria. Congrats Barbora! It seems like she handled the situation better than Maria did.

Eggy, It's too soon to say. But I hope Maria isn't going to be another "nervous" Russian tennis player. There are enough of those as it is!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:46 PM
http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI3_27012002-045859-Full.JPG
Barbora Strycova (CZE) with her hands on the trophy

http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI5_27012002-045859-Full.JPG
The junior champions extremely happy.

rated_next
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:00 PM
it's so nice seeing barbora so happy ... congrats to her :)

SM
May 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
congrats :)

binky-GOAT
May 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Good luck Maria

Papillon.
May 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Losing to Strycova? :haha: Just retire, girl.