PDA

View Full Version : Hantuchova is not anorexic!!!

Kirt12255
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Has anyone seen a tri-athlete???

Having studied weight problems (Anorexia and Bulimia)....Daniela is far from it all.

She is a slender girl....yes...but to claim her as anorexic is pathetic. I'm not a fan of her tennis as a rule....but hope she wins the whole thing.

Why don't you all think for you...instead of the media crap or what they display in here?

8-8 and a lady of that age doesn't deserve this!

fleemke³
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:07 PM
We don't know if she anorexic or not but she has symptones to it.

We don't know if she's ill or not but you don't know either ;) It just doesn't look healty!

Kirt12255
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:11 PM
We don't know if she anorexic or not but she has symptones to it.

We don't know if she's ill or not but you don't know either ;) It just doesn't look healty!

Hmmm 9-9....if she was as sick as people make her out to be...wouldn't she be dead?

katrientje
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Hmmm 9-9....if she was as sick as people make her out to be...wouldn't she be dead?

My thoughts exactly. She's making quite a statement out there!

irma
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:17 PM
she started to cry. I would too when the whole world was whining about me of things that are only her own business :o

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM
...and all former tennis champions like Wade, Austin, Navratilova are all wrong about her needing seriously to gain some weight as a tennis player?

Crazy Canuck
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:48 PM
One can look perfectly healthy and be anorexic. One can also look very very thin, and be totally healthy. You can't always determine whether or not somebody is healthy *just* by looking at them (in extreme cases you obviously can).

And that point can be made against both her supporters and her detracters.

griffin
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Yes, it can (hey stranger ;))

It should also be pointed out that some people manage to be quite functional even with an eating disorder (the serious health problems will show up down the road). But the only people who really know what's going on with Dani are the people around her - and that's not us.

RAA
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:56 PM
maybe not, but she certainly needs some help.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:58 PM
yes, especially after losing to Asagoe :rolleyes:

per4ever
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM
I doubt Daniela is anexoric..imo she has some emotional problems. May be things in her private life not going well.

disposablehero
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM
She was very very thin. At her age, given that she's still doing exactly the same things, there is no reason for her to suddenly get far thinner yet. She's either anorexic or screwing up in some other manner nutritionally. She needs to take about 7 or 8 weeks off, see a shrink and a nutritionist, and come back about the time of Montreal or New Haven looking like a real tennis player and capable of playing.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:06 PM
listen I have seen Daniela play in person when 16 & 17 quite a bit and she was always very slender but she sure didn't look pale in the face...and she has gotten more attractive also than when she was a teen

RAA
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I agree with DP,

alright. lets not say she is anorexic.
here are the facts:
she has lost weight.
she is very VERY thin.
her results have been not so good.
she was crying during her match today and constantly looking to her mother and coach.

so, call it what ever you want, she needs some help, either psychologically or physically.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:08 PM
she is a very sweet and shy girl...i hope the best for her

Meesh
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Having studied weight problems (Anorexia and Bulimia)....Daniela is far from it all. She is a slender girl....yes...but to claim her as anorexic is pathetic. I'm not a fan of her tennis as a rule....but hope she wins the whole thing.

SOOO TRUE! I was in my first Triathlon last month and she does have the body of a triathlete! I don't think she has is anorexic or have bulimia.

Good Luck in Doubles and Mixed Doubles Dani :wavey:

best best better
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Look I've not been buying the whole "Daniela is anorexic/bullimic" story simply because I have no idea whether it's true or not. That she's looking thinner is a fact, but anything else I wouldn't believe necessarily.

Kirt, even if you have studied eating disorders, have you studied Dani? Do you actually, really, know enough about her to make that kind of proclamation. If she does have an eating disorder - not that I'm saying she does - even her coach may not have cottoned on yet.

I don't mind gossip, in fact I love it ( :o ) but I can't believe you have any more idea about Daniela's eating habits/disorders than I do.

And I don't have a clue.

beauty_is_pink
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:33 PM

Having studied weight problems (Anorexia and Bulimia)....Daniela is far from it all.

She is a slender girl....yes...but to claim her as anorexic is pathetic. I'm not a fan of her tennis as a rule....but hope she wins the whole thing.

Why don't you all think for you...instead of the media crap or what they display in here?

8-8 and a lady of that age doesn't deserve this!

THANK YOU KIRT!!!!!!! :worship:

disposablehero
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:35 PM
She is not a triathlete.

Dawn Marie
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Daniela could be hiding her eating habits from her family as well. They still maybe not even know the entire truth.

Anyway something is wrong with her, she looks unhealthy.

disposablehero
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:22 AM
This is how a tennis player with Daniela's frame should look:
http://www.tennis.info/images/Nasdaq3/Shaunessy6773.jpg

faboozadoo15
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:50 AM
i think we can say shes unhealthy, but we cannot say she's anorexic. she could be eating the wrong kinds of foods at the wrong time of the day and drop calories too qucikly. stuff like that can happen.

Greenout
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Dani could also be over training. I don't know why
they don't have a physical trainer/dietician in her
camp who have menu's , amounts, times down to
the second to keep her in match tough physical
condition.

I think her English coach could be out of touch with
modern sports nutrition/endurance training methods.
It's just not enough anymore to be talented- your body
has got to be on a higher level than the general public.

Pinkie
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:06 AM
You're right, I don't think we could assess whether she has an eating disorder just by looking at her.

However,
- One thing you can tell by looking at her is that she is too thin, scarily thin
- Triathletes might be extremely skinny. But first of all, I don't think Daniela looks like a thriathlete, she just looks starved. Secondly, tennis is not a one-time endurance test like a triathlon. In a GS, you need strength and power to win macthes, for two weeks straight. The physical demands are completely different. Daniela needs to bulk up if she wants to be a top 10 player.
- Daniela's tennis started suffering as she kept losing weight. Hearing her deny that she is too thin is a little worrying to me. If Seles can admit fitness (in the opposite direction of the scale) is an issue, so should Daniela. If she just doesn't want to admit a weakness to journalists, that is fine. But it would be a problem if she just didn't see it (and often that is an indication of an eating disorder)

The Daniela I saw today was a mess, physically and mentally. I felt so sorry for her. She needs to step away from a tour a while and take care of herself, let alone her tennis.

oddkayla
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:21 AM
What ever word you choose to use, the girl has problems arising from her eating habits/nutrition. As a result, her on court results are suffering.

Granted the girl was always slender. Last couple of years she was slender. Heck even then she needed to bulk up a little, like Meghan, but she is beyond that point now.

besides, if it isnt a problem, if you are a professional you dismiss it. If not it lingers in your mind and it bothers you, and you feel compelled to defend yourself, maybe like she does.

Tarsius
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:39 AM
If she wasn't so sensationalized by tabloids for her looks and/or didn't do so well last year that she cracked the top 10, no one would really care.

She obviously has a problem. Could it be anorexia? I dont know, I've never seen her eat. Could it be bulimia? I know someone with bulimia, an athlete. Ever since he got this condition I see him eating menthol candy so he wont involuntarily puke up what he eats. He still does however and since he got this condition he couldn't even go three minutes of a Tae Kwon Do match anymore and had to quit... but who knows in the case of Hantuchova? But I digress, this issue is only significant because Hantuchova is in the top 10 (not for long anyway) and has become some kind of media target for the last year.

Could it be because she is just 20 and is not coped enough to take this kind of pressure? Im sure most of the Top 10 (20 or even 100) are in about this age or was there once upon a time and never acted the way Hantuchova did... but bottomline: people are different from others and take to stress differently. Some are good at it, some are not. In Hantuchova's case... I'm just a fan. Aside from being biased I wouldn't really know.

But thats just it, no one, certainly not anyone here knows anything. And the funny part of this is, no one, certainly not anyone here is in a position to do anything about it.

We can wait and see or we can gossip or we can even make fun of her. Either way, it wont help the situation. But who knows... maybe we can make it worse.

salima
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Anorexia is not a fysical problem. The key to cure it is between the ears (in the patients head if you missed the point)
according to one of the leading scientists of the matter in the world Dr. J.S. Borgen up to 30% of all athletes suffer from some kind of eating dissorder, more girls than boys, and more in some sports than others.
high risk sports are gymnastics - long distance running/cross country skiing and t e n n i s.

Daniela bears all signs to have a anorectic problem, but of course we can´t know. Add to this, that when asked about her weight she uses exactly the same arguments as Dr Borgen points out as typical for a person with an eating dissorder.

Even persons with severe anorexis can compete in competition, with success on a high level. The problem accures more often amonst intellegent, and determind persons with a big will power.