PDA

View Full Version : Amazing results of the Belgians

stijntje
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM
A couple of years ago we were happy over here in Belgium when Sabine Appelmans or Dominique Van Roost got to the quarter of semi-finals of a tournament...
A tournament title was an amazing thing...

That's only 6-7 years ago...

But let's have a look right now on the results of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne so far this year...

Clijsters :

- Syndey : won final against Davenport
- Australian Open : lost 1/2 final to S. Williams
- Antwerp : lost final to V. Williams
- Scottsdale : lost final to Sugiyama
- Indian Wells : won final against Davenport
- Miami : lost 1/2 final to S. Williams
- Berlin : lost final to Henin-Hardenne
- Rome : won final against Mauresmo
- Roland Garros : lost final to Henin-Hardenne
- Rosmalen : won final against Henin-Hardenne

4 tournament wins
4 finals
2 semi-finals

Henin :

- Sydney : lost 1/2 final to Clijsters
- Australian Open : lost 1/2 final to V. Williams
- Antwerp : lost 1/2 final to Clijsters
- Dubai : won final against Seles
- Miami : lost 1/4 final to Rubin
- Charleston : won final against S. Williams
- Amelia Island : lost 1/2 final to Dementieva
- Berlin : won final against Clijsters
- Roland Garros : won final against Clijsters
- Rosmalen : lost final against Clijsters

4 tournament wins
1 final
4 semi-finals
1 quarter-final

This is so amazing and it makes me so happy ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

fleemke³
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:02 PM
:worship:

rikvanlooy
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:03 AM
A couple of years ago we were happy over here in Belgium when Sabine Appelmans or Dominique Van Roost got to the quarter of semi-finals of a tournament...
A tournament title was an amazing thing...

That's only 6-7 years ago...

But let's have a look right now on the results of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne so far this year...

Clijsters :

- Syndey : won final against Davenport
- Australian Open : lost 1/2 final to S. Williams
- Antwerp : lost final to V. Williams
- Scottsdale : lost final to Sugiyama
- Indian Wells : won final against Davenport
- Miami : lost 1/2 final to S. Williams
- Berlin : lost final to Henin-Hardenne
- Rome : won final against Mauresmo
- Roland Garros : lost final to Henin-Hardenne
- Rosmalen : won final against Henin-Hardenne

4 tournament wins
4 finals
2 semi-finals

Henin :

- Sydney : lost 1/2 final to Clijsters
- Australian Open : lost 1/2 final to V. Williams
- Antwerp : lost 1/2 final to Clijsters
- Dubai : won final against Seles
- Miami : lost 1/4 final to Rubin
- Charleston : won final against S. Williams
- Amelia Island : lost 1/2 final to Dementieva
- Berlin : won final against Clijsters
- Roland Garros : won final against Clijsters
- Rosmalen : lost final against Clijsters

4 tournament wins
1 final
4 semi-finals
1 quarter-final

This is so amazing and it makes me so happy ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'm very happy too. Justine and Kim have won as many tournaments as have all American players together. Almost every week we can see a Belgian player at work in a final of a WTA-tournament. It's incredible.

Justine and Kim have earned the most money this year (more than the men) and are number one and two for the race to the Championship.

They have improved so much this year. I can't believe my eyes. It's almost certain that they will play the semifinal at Wimbledon and then everything can happen.

fifiricci
Jun 26th, 2003, 10:35 AM
You are lucky bastards you Belgians!! I really envy you having such great players to support. I'm British and who we got - an adopted Canadian and Tiny Tim (who is a good player but not very exciting to look at!!) in the mens and no-one to be seen in the womens'.

Can I become an honorary Belgian please??

gladysharon
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:05 AM
:bounce: :bounce:
Though I'm not belgian. But I'm impressed!

matthias
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:07 AM
in germany it is completly different

as Anke Huber won a ordinary tournament on the WTA-Tour
noone noticed it because we had Grand slam Title collecting Steffi

and now we would be happy to have a girl like Anke

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Very well indeed by the two belgians. Right now the tour is really Williams/ Williams vs Kim/ Justine. After that there's a HUGE drop off! The last two slams there has been three Williams/ Belgium semi's and it's already assumed that Wimbledon will produce at least won and that the winner will come out of this foursome.

If we're looking in power rankings a point can be made that Justine's even no.2 right now behind Serena, Serena getting the edge that she has reached finals on more surfaces.

bandabou
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:12 AM
But no doubt that these four players are pushing each other and making each other work harder and harder.

nicky
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:39 AM
It really is amazing. :worship:

I just feel kind of sorry for the young Belgian players who come after them. Whatever they reach, it can never be as good as Kim & Justine. Even if they have a career like Applemans or Van Roost, hardly anybody will notice...

azza
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM

I just feel kind of sorry for the young Belgian players who come after them. Whatever they reach, it can never be as good as Kim & Justine. Even if they have a career like Applemans or Van Roost, hardly anybody will notice...
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

rikvanlooy
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure. After a while we will learn to be happy with wins in TIII- and TIV-tournaments.

Just take at look at what happened with cycling. The Belgians used to crush everybody. In 1968 en 1969 Belgians won all the important one day races. They were so good that they tried to help a foreigner winning the world championship. There have been years that Belgians won 13 stages in the Tour the France. 80 years on a trot at least one Belgian cyclist was good in the Tour the France (within the top 10).

Nowadays we are happy with one stage victory and a few one day races. The difference is huge.

rikvanlooy
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:19 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

BTW that was not bad at all for a small country. There are not a lot of countries who have two players in the top 20/top 10. Appelmans and Van Roost reached several times the final stages of the Masters, but nowadays their performances look ... in comparison with Justine and Kim.