PDA

View Full Version : Solomon to get back with Capriati?

DannerCal
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Now that Solomon and Anna have split - He can come back to the Capriati camp!!!

He was so good for her and they really clicked. Now that she is focused on tennis, I think he would be a good fit for the Capriati Camp.

Someone call her quick! ;) :bounce:

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Now that Solomon and Anna have split - He can come back to the Capriati camp!!!

He was so good for her and they really clicked. Now that she is focused on tennis, I think he would be a good fit for the Capriati Camp.

Someone call her quick! ;) :bounce:

how was he good for her? the best years of jennifer's tennis career have come under the tutelage of one man. Stefano. the harold period pales badly in comparison.

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Yeah but know that Stefano has gotten her where she is, would a familar, yet different coach help her game? I dont think it would hurt her at all...

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Yeah but know that Stefano has gotten her where she is, would a familar, yet different coach help her game? I dont think it would hurt her at all...

I think Jennifer would strongly disagree. She's like Venus and Serena. they really only have one coach.

However, maybe jen could work with both her dad (full-time) and somebody else on the side for a few days at a time? I know it won't be Harold. they didn't part well, if you recall. Harold said Jennifer didn't want to work hard enough, blah blah blah. it was a little bitter.

JCAP
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Yeah mase diffently someone different in the Capriati corner would be no harm at all!

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I think Jennifer would strongly disagree. She's like Venus and Serena. they really only have one coach.

However, maybe jen could work with both her dad (full-time) and somebody else on the side for a few days at a time? I know it won't be Harold. they didn't part well, if you recall. Harold said Jennifer didn't want to work hard enough, blah blah blah. it was a little bitter.

Im with you, dont know who she should work with but I think her working with someone, even part time, just to giver her another opinion would benefit her game alot... Id love for her to work with someone not only on her serve (which this tounrey is looking better but) and net play....

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Im with you, dont know who she should work with but I think her working with someone, even part time, just to giver her another opinion would benefit her game alot... Id love for her to work with someone not only on her serve (which this tounrey is looking better but) and net play....

I don't think Jen's serve actually hurts her as much as people think. I remember her serving buckets of doubles in 2001, but she just shrugged them off and kept plugging away at it. Honestly, do you think her serve is costing her matches? I haven't seen any of her matches with Serena since the Miami final in 2002, so I can't know if that's what's costing her against the best, but I've long thought that what's losing Jenny matches is her inability to compliment her big forehand with her backhand. I think the top players pick on it a lot. She can get away with it against most, but not the best. Take her matches with Amelie last year. Amelie ate her up driving her behind the baseline with high topspin loops to her backhand.

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I don't think Jen's serve actually hurts her as much as people think. I remember her serving buckets of doubles in 2001, but she just shrugged them off and kept plugging away at it. Honestly, do you think her serve is costing her matches? I haven't seen any of her matches with Serena since the Miami final in 2002, so I can't know if that's what's costing her against the best, but I've long thought that what's losing Jenny matches is her inability to compliment her big forehand with her backhand. I think the top players pick on it a lot. She can get away with it against most, but not the best. Take her matches with Amelie last year. Amelie ate her up driving her behind the baseline with high topspin loops to her backhand.

I do think her serve's hurting her, because when she doesnt get that first serve in, she has to throw in weak second serves that big players will just absolutley kill. Plus its got to affect her confidence.. I think Jen is hitting the ball well of both the forehand and backhand side, and her movement in up there with the best of them. I remember Amelie killed Jen at the net alot of times last year.... she could hang with her rallie, but Momo would frequentley run in and end the points that way. Im sure they were rallies Jen lost, but at the Canadian (I think) in the final Momo killed her with netplay.

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:22 PM
I do think her serve's hurting her, because when she doesnt get that first serve in, she has to throw in weak second serves that big players will just absolutley kill. Plus its got to affect her confidence.. I think Jen is hitting the ball well of both the forehand and backhand side, and her movement in up there with the best of them. I remember Amelie killed Jen at the net alot of times last year.... she could hang with her rallie, but Momo would frequentley run in and end the points that way. Im sure they were rallies Jen lost, but at the Canadian (I think) in the final Momo killed her with netplay.

One thing about the serve that is costing her that you touched on; she's thinking far too much about it.

Her backhand exposes her, it really does. Everybody knows by now that she can't do nearly as much damage from that side. It's a testament to her ability that so few players can exploit that, though.

I think if she was able to amp up the backhand, that would be enough to vault her back. She doesn't need to serve much better than she does now.

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM
She's definiltey got areas to work on, I think a new face could help her with those.. Of course ultimatley its up to her, and like you said she's very much like S+V, so we'll see........

DannerCal
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Good feedback. I think she is really working on her serve - and the biggest part seems to be "mental" - finishing off matches. I read a report that Stefano came down really hard on her after her loss to Chanda. People could over hear them in the hall, and he told her that she is better and should not have lost. Apparently Jen gives it right back, (just like on court). She said that maybe Chanda was the better player that day, and that she did her best.

I know she likes have Steven there as he is more of a buffer. Much more mellow, and positive. So it makes for a good team.

Rollo
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I think Solomon did JCaps a world of good. Lets not forget that 2001 didn't just happen overnight-it took rebuilding a base. Harold deserves some credit for that.

By chance I sat directly behind Solomon and Stefano at the 1999 US Open during one of Jen's doubles matches. They were arguing and butting heads like crazy.

CapFan#1
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:41 PM
The woman is in the top 10 of the WORLD. I think she knows what she is doing as far as her coaching situation goes. People like jen, and serena, and venus, they have their coaches, but they are primarily in control of what is going on in their games. They have too much experience and knowledge