PDA

View Full Version : VOTE HERE: Women's Grand Slam Finals

MarcusRock
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Don't know why I was thinking this but what do you all think about the women's Grand Slam Finals matches being best-of-five sets? It is a final afterall in one of the biggest 4 tournaments of the year. You get more tennis and can possibly avoid quick anticlimactic straight set victories like we had at Roland Garros. What do you all think?

i heart backhand
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Look at the 02 Australian Open. Could Hingis and Capriati really gone best of five in those conditions? Hingis could barely serve and both players were exhausted--and they only played 3 sets.

And who would have wanted to see Justine walk-over Kim for 3 sets at the French? I think the best of five is unnecessary and should be saved for the men.

Just my .02.

Sanneriet
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:14 PM
They used to do this at the Championships and just ended up with players cramping. The women CAN play 5 sets if they train for it, but since they don't it really isn't very useful.

The Crow
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:18 PM
No. Or make all slam matches best of 5.

Havok
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM
it would be good, but the women are so used to playing best of 3, so for the finalists, it might be tough for them to switch to a best of 5. and they aren't adapted to playing a best of 5, so they will get tired, and it will be an ugly match as it goes on

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I agree. Make it all or nothing because you can't expect players to make the switch in the final, but I think best of 5 would be more interesting if the players were prepared for it