PDA

View Full Version : Harold Solomon, out as Anna's coach.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:24 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-wimnote25jun25.story

Solomon out as coach

Fort Lauderdale's Harold Solomon and injured Anna Kournikova have ended their coaching relationship.

Kournikova (1-5 for the year) hasn't played since April 7 in Charleston, S.C., when she came down with a lower back injury and, because of the uncertainty of her future, the two decided it was time to end the more than one-year association.

Solomon, who is on the WTA Tour board, said he would take another coaching job, but "only with the right player."

IMO, Solomon is just not the right coach for Anna. Probably Alla will be back. :D

Scorch
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM
This is very worrying news: "because of the uncertainty of her future"

Anna's mum is not a good coach.

Alla being coach = no light at the end of the tunnel

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:30 PM
omg Alla again no thanks, please Anna find someone! :(

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:30 PM
*sigh* Is she giving tennis up?

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:35 PM
This is bad news.. when a coach fires himself something is wrong in the camp.

apoet29
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this news. For me, this is yet another blow to Anna's tennis career. While Anna's results were pretty good under her mother's guidance, I think, in order for Anna to really grow as a person and player, she needed to have some distance from her mother. I thought Harold was a good start to something new, but Anna's slump last year, plus her injuries this year never allowed this partnership to get off the ground. Anna's two solid weeks of tennis last summer showed what she can do with a good coach. Without his guidance, I'm not sure what will be next for her. Is her mother really an option? I read somewhere that Anna didn't want her parents to travel with her anymore since last year's Rome tournament. Will she want them to start coaching her again?

This news makes me wonder: what precipated this breakup? What does "the uncertainty of her future" mean?

The Guilty
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM
I don't want Anna again with Alla, I hope she finds another coach who can correct some of her problems, mainly on serve.

Dava
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Well I dont think this is the right desicion, he got her back on track last year, and its only due to injury that shes not doing well. I think this is the wrong desicion

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:47 PM
1-Anna needs to get healthy. That has to be the first goal

2-Anna needs to get a coach that can improve her serve

3-Anna needs to get a coach that will give her the belief to serve and volley (with her hands and volly's at the net...she'd be a great player if she was S&V)

But again...she HAS to be healthy first! Get well Anna!

SerialKiller#69
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
I was expecting this to happen soon. Harold's gameplan doesn't really suit Anna's style of play. She has become more of a defensive player during Harold's coaching. I personally think she should go back to her aggressive game play, lots of UE and winners.

Harold was a good coach. I give him props for sticking with Anna this long. Harold is right. Anna is not the right player for him. And he is not the right coach for Anna. Alla as a coach may seem to be a wrong decision but maybe, just maybe, she needs a bit of parental support. Hopefully, something positive will come from this. Anna has had enough of downfalls, really. I feel bad for her.

tyk101
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Anna must get healthy and then sort out coaching arrangements etc...

oddkayla
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Anna is uncoachable. There isnt a coach who can do much for her. She needs to work out her issues first, and where she would like to take her tennis, not focus on where tennis can take her.

Spirit
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:28 PM
That's too bad. When I heard that Anna and Solomon were a team, I thought it was the beginning of great things.

There's a lot of unfulfilled potential, here.

ajayares
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Exactly, finding a replacement coach shouldn't be her #1 priority, getting healthy is though.

Reading her teleconference she did on Monday for WTT, she seems pretty confident that she will over come all these injuries.

ajayares
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Anna is uncoachable. There isnt a coach who can do much for her. She needs to work out her issues first, and where she would like to take her tennis, not focus on where tennis can take her.

Really? Well not according to Harold, but what would he know hey..

SerialKiller#69
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Ajayares, can you please enlighten me about the WTT teleconference? What did she say? Thanks.

ajayares
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Ajayares, can you please enlighten me about the WTT teleconference? What did she say? Thanks.

http://www.wtt.com/news/news_info.asp?news_id=98

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Great article, thanks ajayares :D:

WORLD TEAMTENNIS (WTT) PRO LEAGUE
HIGHLIGHTS FROM ANNA KOURNIKOVA CONFERENCE CALL
MONDAY, JUNE 23, 2003

Anna Kournikova talked about her inaugural appearance in the 2003 World TeamTennis (WTT) Pro League, as she prepares to lead the attack for the Kansas City Explorers in the Western Conference. She will make her WTT debut on Wednesday, July 16, as the Kansas City Explorers visit the Philadelphia Freedoms at Cabrini College in Radnor, Pa. She will play in St. Louis on Thursday, July 17, and in Kansas City on Friday, July 18. Tickets are now available for Anna’s matches by calling: St. Louis – 314/726-ACES, Philadelphia – 866/WTT-TIXS, Kansas City – 913/362-9944, or by visiting www.WTT.com.

On playing World TeamTennis with the Kansas City Explorers:

“I’m really looking forward to playing this season and to have as much fun as I can… I hope the fans enjoy and have a good time when they watch us too… Although injuries have prevented me from playing in years past, I’m really excited about getting out there and having fun, seeing new cities and playing new people.”

On the WTT team format and possibly injuries threatening her playing this season:

“The format of WTT is a lot of fun, and the crowd gets so into it… I love the concept of ‘team’ and playing singles, doubles and mixed doubles all together. I also get to play against people I normally wouldn’t compete against at tournaments… My goal right now is to be completely healthy and take care of my body but regardless of my injuries or not I’ll be out there either way this season.”

On what it’s like being a role model for children:

“I think it’s very important for kids to have some type of interest in a sport or a hobby and to do something that they love or what appeals to them. I’ve been doing my whole life what I love to do. Hopefully we can bring more attention to the sport of tennis so younger children can become more involved… I try to make a good example.”

On her game and having injuries on the side at this point:

“I’ve had a lot of great results. When I was younger and before my injury two years ago I was playing great. Since then with my body being injured and having played tennis for 15 straight years, and playing 6-7 hours each day when I was younger it’s starting to get harder. My body is starting to let me know about that… It’s been very frustrating and hard to maintain a physical peak but as an athlete I have to learn to take what comes to me and just try to take care of my body as best that I can… The injuries aren’t going to go away when I want them to but I know I can make them better.”

On the surreal ness and excitement that surrounds Anna Kournikova:

“It’s not surreal for me because that’s’ my life. It’s not as amazing and exciting and surreal and what people make it out to be. I have a million things to do each day, I stay busy. I have to find time for my friends and family but still yet work and play. I’m still a normal person and do normal things like everybody else except a lot of the time it’s in the public eye.”

tennischick
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:39 PM
if Harold cannot help her then it's time we face facts. Anna is beyond help. all the best in her calendar/posing/pin-up career.

i hope Harold finds another player with champion potential like he did with Capriati. i'd like to see him linked up with someone like Srebotnik -- someone with serious potential who has not been able to deliver as yet. Anna, i'm afraid, is utterly hopeless.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:46 PM
What facts? Anna hasn't played a WTA event since she retired this spring against Conchita. The match she played before that she lost 6-4 in the third to Majoli. Maybe the facts are that you're a broke nobody who is clueless.

RAA
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM
well, this can't be good news..
but maybe Harold was tired of waiting for her to get over all her injuries.. I mean, he couldn't have been doing much coaching of late because she has been injured.

anyway, harold could be a great coach and just not be the coach for Anna.

however, I really think that tennis needs to get over this "My parent as coach" phenomenon. it doesn't happen in any other sports for goodness sakes. why do these professional athletes think that their parents are the best for their career? cut the apron strings is what I say! even to Venus and Serena. Its one thing to have your parents there for support, its another for them to be your coach. Capriati, Hingis, Hewitt, these are all players who could use some separation from their parents. they are all adults. I don't go to work with my mother!

Mrs. Peel
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Sad news...there was so much expectation from this match up. Really tho..after everything we heard..was he really ever in control?

jbone_0307
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Anna needs to retire and do photo shoots and modeling. You can still do that when injured and it seems like thats the only thing she can do sucessfully.

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:26 PM
For me, the two best coaches for Anna would be:
1. Brad Gilbert (Anna is a similar player to Agassi when he was young)
2. Billie Jean King

Brad is now working with Andy, and BJK doesn't coach individuals (and would probably only coach an American anyway), but I think those two would be the best for Anna.

Not sure who she might get now. What big name coaches are available? Hana Mandlikova could be decent...get Anna to be more aggressive.

Chance
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Who fired who? I get the *feeling* it wasn't a mutual decision.

Hope she recovers from her injuries soon.

Meesh
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Exactly!!!!! I'm glad to see she is keeping her commitment with WTT. Even if she doesn't play it will be great for attendance/awareness about WTT. I wish we could get a team in Florida! Maybe TAMPA since it's sooo close to Saddle Brook where some of the players train!

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:09 PM
AnnaK was best with Nick B.

decemberlove
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:12 PM
harold and anna produced pretty good results on her 2002 cali run. she still had some nerve problems but her confidence at the time was the highest weve seen it in a while. i think its unfair for people to say he was wrong for her... they never really had a chance to get going cos anna was always injured.

what worries me the most is the line about her future. her back problem is chronic, so while she may be able to work with it, it wont get much better... itll always be there.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:55 PM
dl--if u wanna know the truth AnnaK hasn't done jackshit since she beat Hingis for the first time in Germany 4 years ago

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:02 PM
This is very worrying news: "because of the uncertainty of her future"

Anna's mum is not a good coach.

Alla being coach = no light at the end of the tunnel

that is the understatement of the month...if her mom spent more time reading tennis books than the tabloid magazines things 'might' have been better...ha ha ha did she really think she could be a Melainie :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Oh, is that the truth, Einstein? The semis at San Diego was nothing? Beating Ai in the semis at Shanghai? Do you follow tennis? Or do you sit on a street corner with a tin cup?

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:08 PM
oh and those rank bigger than reaching the semis at Wimby and beating Marti? first off i doubt few--if any here has seen AnnaK play more as a 14yo than I nor has watched as much live tennis as I at all levels of play...and let me tell you anyone who saw AnnaK play as a 14 yo saw incredible talent and frankly never saw anyone volley the ball better at that age...for her not to win WTA touney as of yet is any way you cut it a total failure

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Look, I'm just going by what you posted. If you think finishing eighth in the world for 2000 is nothing, then you must believe very few of these women have done anything. And I disagree.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:24 PM
yes, being #8 in the world is an accomplishment...but with AnnaK imo a relative one...i saw #1-type talent and even if not reaching that level for her to fail to win a single tourney c'mon admit it...when she beat Marti at the German Open I was cherring for her (as a diehard Hingis fan) b/c I knew what the win could mean (finally!!) for Anna since Hingis had won everything by then...she reached the semis at Wimby very young & had great Fed Cup matches very young but hasn't yet ever surpassed that while many, many other Russian girls have surpassed her...the downfall started with the wrist injury that knocked her out of Wimby soon after her win over Hingis--and coaching problems, modeling issues/distractions, injuries, lack of confidence on the tennis court except when playing doubles with Marti, have all been issues with her failing to reach her potential...yes, her Grand Slam wins with Marti are something to write home about but as a single player the tennis world is still waiting for that long overdue title

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I don't remember Anna before 2000. But what you said in your first post in this thread was mean, not objective, imo.
Same with tennischick earlier. It's just mean.

lakeway11
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:39 PM
my first post I said AnnaK was better with Bolleterri as a coach...the 2nd wasn't meant to be mean but stating a sad fact imo...i like AnnaK--and even gave her a gift (book) when she was 14 and she was most nice and posed for a picture and signed it...i want her to win a tourney and what u see as meanness is more fustration as a tennis fan (i like her 'tennis' as opposed to her 'looks')

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I sense retirement is nearing....

ToeTag
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Well I don't think she'll retire...what else is she going to do?Will those companys' still want her if she isn't playing tennis...even if she only plays occasionally because of injuries.I think she should give Carlos Kirmyre a call...remember what he did for Sabatini's career.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Great decision HAROLD!

Warrior
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Anna's career is going into Martina's direction. It looks like eventually she will be forced to retire with injuries!:sad: