PDA

View Full Version : ESPN viewers: Thoughts after first 2 days?

tennisIlove09
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Well, most of us complain about ESPN's coverage. How do you all like it after the first two days?

My thoughts?

Who is this Suzie chick? Her voice annoys me :D

Who dresses Mary Joe? She actually looks really nice and trendy. I'm surprised.

God Bless Mary Carillo and Tim Ryan (the best two commentators by FAR)

Love the extended hours...but good God, only show a match ONCE. We don't need to see Andre more then once, or Serena more then once. Show other seeds.

Rollo
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM
I 've seen only a few hours.

It's live tennis:)

They need to learn from HBO on how to do a highlights show. The first 10 minutes do a recap-then show an entire "match of the day". Those who love to tape matches (whole matches) will love it and those who already saw it live can skip it.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:18 PM
My opinion is that showing the Serena match and the Andre match over and over and over (this morning was the fifth replay of each) is ridiculous.
Yesterday late in the day when close matches like Bovina - Obata were coming to climactic finishes, ESPN was showing reruns. Taped tennis that they had already shown earlier in the day.
The reason Americans only know Anna and the top American players is because ESPN won't show the other players. We can't see all the different styles and watch young players develop.
ESPN has bought the tv rights, they are on the air live, and they are showing tapes instead of close, live matches. They're crazy. I mean late yesterday, not this second.

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:11 PM
I think it was even the ESPN guy who made the point about short-term and long-term results. In showing lesser known players, you may suffer in the ratings short-term, but you gain in the long run as viewers get to know the lesser known players and will watch them in the future.

SerenasMelons
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM
I'm starting to like Chris Fowler more. Even though he's not an expert in tennis, he seems to like and respect the sport. I just hope they keep him out of the commentator's booth. Stay at the desk, please!

LucasArg
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I really like the coverage, they show a lot of women's matches. :)

decemberlove
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:54 PM
i was expecting worse

RAA
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:03 PM
man, I can't stand Chris Folwer.
and although they have tons of coverage, you are right, its the same matches over and over again.
honstly, I stopped my tape last night and they were showing the same match that I had just watched on tape..

bmxbandit
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM
They showed Jelena's first set and last game...i'm glad for that :)

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Chris is definitely gaining an appreciation for tennis; I hope he carries that back to other ESPN announcers and staff.

Anyway, I was happy with today's coverage. We saw Venus, Clijsters, Hantuchova, and a doubles match on the women's side. We saw Roddick, Federer, and others on the men's side. All that was live, I believe. Taped we got to see Lindsay Davenport.

Not too bad...definitely more women today, even if most of the matches weren't shown in full. Most of the matches were shown live, to boot.

TennisHack
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Better than Roland Garros coverage, the diss at "hardcore geeks" on Day 1 aside.

Suzy what's-her-face has got to go. Very glad she wasn't there today. So stiff and lost the whole time.

Chris Fowler is okay. He doesn't know much about tennis but at least he admits it.

Who is Tim Ryan? Not too fond of him. There was no need to bring in even more commentators, as they already had about 8 with the first two Slams of the year.

A thumbs up to live coverage. This is always good. Their programming choices have been okay as well, barring the constant replays of Agassi, Serena, Andy, and Potatoman's loss. My main complaint thus far is how we've been taken along on the Andy Roddick Scouting Train, with new coach Brad Gilbert telling us how Roddick's going to beat his next opponent while we watch the match :rolleyes: Please, spare me.

I wish they would show more matches like Dani's today, the really dramatic ones. Roddick's match was not drama, though they kept calling it that. There were several matches that went to odd scores in the last set, and that's what they should show if they really want to attract new fans.

Also, can't complain about seeing my man Ferrero on Day 2. Shocked the hell out of me after ESPN competely ignored him at RG. I'd really like to see Nadal, and we probably will see him if Roddick wins his next match (next stop on the scouting train).

But mostly, it appears ESPN is heeding the complaints of viewers like us and balancing out their coverage a little more.

LeonHart
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah coverage today was better than the first two days, we got to see a bit of everything!! Martina/Sveta doubles was nice! Hantuchova coverage was also great :) I'm glad they didn't show the same thing over and over like yesterday and the day before.

Jordan.
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Alot better coverage today. Vamos.

CC
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Jim Ryan sounds like he should be commentating for Horseracing.

c2
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:35 PM
the suzy chick has to go. Doesn't know a thing about tennis obviously :(

Havok
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:35 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
so true!

jenglisbe
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:57 AM
And we have to be sympathetic to ESPN. The way they pay for putting on tennis - and then making a profit - is through advertisers. The advertises pay based on ratings, of course. ESPN gets bigger ratings in the U.S. when they show someone like Agassi or Roddick...and not when they show someone like Mirnyi.

I don't expect ESPN to show every great match that features a lesser known player; I do expect more balance in who they show, and today's coverage met that better.

TennisHack
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:05 AM
And we have to be sympathetic to ESPN.

Excuse me while I play the violin. Poor, poor ESPN. What a position we put them in :rolleyes:

LeonHart
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:28 AM
LMAO yeaaaahhh...he's like on crack or something! :o