PDA

View Full Version : BJK wants Monica to play Fed Cup--I think Monica should let that foot heal completely

Lynn
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Seles Might Play At Federation Cup

By Rachel Nichols
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

WIMBLEDON, England, June 24 -- Billie Jean King has always been an untamed optimist. So she knows she has to temper herself when she says Monica Seles might play in the Federation Cup matches in Washington next month.

"Hopefully Monica's foot will be okay; she thinks it should be okay," said King, who will captain the team. "She says it's getting a lot better, so we'll just have to see. I'm really excited about the team overall."

Seles has suffered a string of injuries to her left foot, and this week, she has been strolling the carpet of her living room instead of the crisp, green grass of Wimbledon. Doctors have suggested fixing her problems with a surgical screw in one of her bones, but at the French Open, Seles said that at 29, she is not interested in trying any major surgeries.

"Realistically I know I'm in the later stages of my career. I don't have the luxury of taking five or six months off," she said at the time. "It could be done, but I just don't think I would have that uphill challenge in me to do it."

Instead, Seles has been trying therapy and, according to King, is already starting to hit again but is not yet running. King said she is planning to name Seles to the team, along with Venus Williams, Meghann Shaughnessy and Lisa Raymond, knowing that if Seles can't play, more of the burden will fall on Shaughnessy.

King figures the Fed Cup matches might even be a turning point for Shaughnessy, who today lost, 6-3, 6-2, to Aniko Kapros. It has not been an easy spring for the Richmond native, who has lost four of her last nine matches and has not gotten past the quarterfinals of an event since February.

"I need to sit Meghann down at Fed Cup and listen to what she has to say and see if I can help," King said. "She's gone through a lot of changes. She's changed her backhand, she's changed the footwork on her volley, and you also have to remember she was engaged to her coach, and now she's not anymore, but she still kept him as her coach. So she's been through a lot."

King also has some thoughts about Williams, whom she would like to see utilize her wingspan more at the net. "I tell all of them, you don't have to agree on everything, but this is just what I think," King said. "Maybe it can be helpful as a jolt, just having a new set of eyes looking at things."

hingis-seles
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Monica better NOT waste her time on crap like Fed Cup! :mad:

Thanks, Lynn! :wavey:

Jakub
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Thanks, Lynn! :)

disposablehero
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:51 AM
No, dammit, NO!

What about these supposedly enthusiastic Williams?

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:57 AM
thanks lynn

BigB08822
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Well I am happy to hear that Monica's foot is doing better and beginning to heal.

I am also happy to hear that she is taking it slow and only hitting, no running. The key for her recovery is to not rush anything!

I hope she recovers and can finish out her career on her own terms and with some great results.

rfs1999
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Go Monica.

Gandalf
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM
She shouldn't play Fed Cup. If healthy players like Serena, Davenport, Chanda and Capriati don't bother, why should she risk aggravating her injury??

Diya
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Monica at this stage in her career must be able to choose what she wants to do coz surely she knows best !If she wants to play Fed Cup then she should ...

:bounce: @ Monica's foot healing and that she has started hitting :bounce:

Get well soon Monica !!:hearts:

wave
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:57 AM
I agree wth Diya. It's her choice. Looking back we know how much she likes to play Fedcup. So when she is ready she should play where she prefers. If she is happy we as her fans should be, too.

I'm already happy that she plans to play it because that means that she is surely not considering to retire right now. She will know that she has to be fit before playing and training sessions with Venus and Meghann will show her how good she is after the injury break.

Go Monica! :bounce: But take your time to be completely healthy.

vancouverite
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:02 AM
At long LAST, a hint of news about Monica....and hitting balls, even! :hearts:

As for Fed Cup...I'd advise her to give it a rest, but she loves the format and it'll give her some match practice. She's had some bad knocks doing the Fed Cup thing (blisters against Farina Elia, distractions agains Schwartz, etc.), but she says she loves it, so....

Not too sure about the old 'Monica-knows-what's-best-for-her' argument, as she's second-guessed herself a lot about knowing what's best for her (see: her scheduling in recent years). But, hell, I give her the benefit of the doubt at this point in her career, so if she wants to play Fed Cup, then GO MONICA :)

Rollo
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah. Surely Monica knows best after getting herself reinjured countless times and winning slams right and left after her comeback :rolleyes:

She's boxed herself in by deciding against surgery and a rehab of 6 months. Given that-Fed Cup is perfect. It doesn't mean she isn't considering retirement. Fed Cup allows her to commit to only two matches, a perfect little test drive to see how her engine is running. If she's still in lots of pain or can't run I could easily see Monica quitting at the US Open or even doing a Steffi Graf and calling it quits for good.

TomLovesMonica
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:13 AM
C'mon guys, this is great news! Monica's foot is getting better and she's already hitting balls again. The Fed Cup might be a good warm up for her. Go Monica! :D

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:30 PM
yay! monica is getting better and thinking about playing. i dont care if its just fed cup!

mishar
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM
I agree. Monica has hardly played since February. Even if she's healthy, she needs to get back into playing matches. I think it would be great to have a week training with Billie Jean, especially since Monica seems coachless right now, and practicing with Venus and Meg. If she had played a lot, I wouldn't like it. But I think it could boost her confidence.

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
good point, mishar

DannerCal
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Capriati is available for Fed Cup. She has to remain to be eligible for the Olympics. She has not been invited, as BJK said they have to sit down like two champions and talk about what happened before resuming a relationship.

selesrules
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Monica better NOT waste her time on crap like Fed Cup! :mad:

Thanks, Lynn! :wavey:

I agree.

RAA
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:36 PM
as an aside, I thought BJK's comments about Meghann were quite interesting. Meghann has been through a lot lately. I think she needs to MOVE ON and dump that guy as her coach. it must be VERY hard to be coached by someone you WERE engaged to but aren't any more! that seems quite dysfunctional to me!

tyk101
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:37 PM
wow.. BJK wants Monica on team even though she's still injured.. quite an honour i say!!

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Pffff... She shouldn't, why King don't ask Davenport or Rubin ? :confused:
Monica is at her last stage of career, and she's done enough for this Fed Cup. Serena plays when she wants, and King only calls Monica to compensate the team. Tired about that.

Lynn
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
She's had problems with her feet for 5 or 6 years (correct?) and to risk aggravating her foot just to play Fed Cup IMO doesn't seem logical. I think it would be better to give her foot more rest so she can play the USO. I'd hate to se her come back too soon, reinjure it at Fed Cup and then miss the USO.

Maybe BJK just wants her on the team for moral support but doesn't expect her to play.

I don't know.

Hi Ali. :wavey:

rfs1999
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:20 PM
She's testing herself.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Monica just get better! And dont worry bout shit fed cup and that bitch BJK!

baleineau
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:18 AM
i was surprised that BJK mentioned the things going on in Meghann's personal life. I didn't know this.

I'm sure BJK didn't like it when the Press ran her own dirty laundry through their rags, so I'm surprised she went into the details like this.

If Monica doesn't play, who else will? Jennifer and Alex will never play, and Serena and Venus have already satisfied their obligation. Lindsay and Chanda? Possibly, but will they likely go to Athens anyway? Monica won't be in Athens almost certainly.

disposablehero
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:19 AM
I didn't read the part about who is coming. With Venus there, they shouldn't need Monica. Let Meghann or someone get the other singles win.

cynicole
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:04 AM
i was surprised that BJK mentioned the things going on in Meghann's personal life. I didn't know this.

I'm sure BJK didn't like it when the Press ran her own dirty laundry through their rags, so I'm surprised she went into the details like this.

This news about Meghann's personal life was in one of the Arizona papers (The Arizona Republic, I think) back in February or March.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I support Monica chosing to play completely, she needs to rest the foot but one or two matches should be ok. If she can't handle that then ... well let's be positive.

One thing though - I hope BJK hasn't railroaded her into this :(. That woman can be persuasive and Monica never says no :mad:.