PDA

View Full Version : Capriati and Williams fans come here!!

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Capriati closing in on Williams sisters
Press Association
Tuesday June 24, 2003 11:07 PM

Jennifer Capriati believes tennis is seeing the beginning of the end of the domination enjoyed by the Williams sisters.

She gives the pair no chance of repeating their monopolisation on grand slam final places which came to an end at the French Open three weeks ago.

The twice former semi-finalist reckons she is being underestimated, and said: "I had a great run the past two years, winning three grand slams and coming closer to the Williams sisters than anybody. Because I haven`t quite kept up that momentum it`s given other people a chance to do it. Nobody can really keep up that momentum. I mean, we even see the Williams sisters losing now. Everyone has a good run once in a while. They they kind of get set back and they`ll have it again."

Before that all-Belgian final in France, in which Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Kim Clijsters, Venus and Serena Williams had faced off in each of the previous four finals.

Serena won the lot, to do the `Serena Slam`, but her suggestion that she could go unbeaten through 2003 has proven ill-advised, with three recent defeats demonstrating her fallibility.

Capriati is eighth seed at Wimbledon this year but looked lean and mean as she took apart Myriam Casanova on Court One on Tuesday. She insists her form and physique is good, and although there were questions raised over her mental toughness when she wasted two match points and lost to Chanda Rubin in the Eastbourne semi-finals last week, it could be that the weekend break has done her the power of good.

Capriati won 6-1 6-3 in three-quarters of an hour, and then hit out at those who believe she is a non-contender at this year`s Championships.

Capriati`s ability to keep pace with her fellow Americans has been to some degree baulked by injuries. But can she win this fortnight?

"Absolutely. I still feel like I`m in the game 100% and I haven`t lost any of my ability or my motivation," said the 27-year-old after overcoming a player nine years her junior. Mentally I feel confident and pretty motivated. I feel I`m playing pretty good on the grass."

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2003, All Rights Reserved.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:29 AM
There is nothing wrong with Capriati having confidence in her ability to win, she should do that, but to say that the WS have no chance of repeating a monopoly of the slams, and to say that their domination is over?? Especially when she had no part in keeping them from winning any tournaments this year including at the French. Capriati has talked like this since the AO 2002, but hasn't backed up her talk. It's kind of insulting to the WS to declare that they won't have a chance of continuing their dominance. The WS keep other players names out of their mouths unless they are saying something nice (besides Serena at the French speaking of Henin, but she had reason to say that IHMO), but can't seem to get the same respect from the other players. Why is that??

P.S. I hope Jennifer was misquoted in this article.

Zenith
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:39 AM
I think Jennifer should just focus on her game and leave the other sh!t alone.

Midnite Surfer
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:56 AM
I think everyone should read Jennifer's interview from Tuesday. This article is bullshit. She was basically saying that no one can win forever. Her comment was not meant to suggest that the Williams domination was completely over. The writer is trying to incite people. This is the reason that most celebrities are wary of journalists. So many of them are sensationalist liars.

Knizzle
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:57 AM
I think everyone should read Jennifer's interview from Tuesday. This article is bullshit. She was basically saying that no one can win forever. Her comment was not meant to suggest that the Williams domination was completely over. The writer is trying to incite people. This is the reason that most celebrities are wary of journalists. So many of them are sensationalist liars.

That's why I say she may have been misquoted, but we have heard talk like that from Jennifer in the past though. Also there are interviews taken as the players come off court or for newspaper, and such that are not in the press room.

o0O0o
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Um since when is Jen "closing in" on the Williams sisters? Jen is quickly sprinting back down the rankings and has shown no signs of improvement. Until I see some good results from her (which can still happen, of course), this article will remain baseless.

Midnite Surfer
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:01 AM
That can be true but the quote that he/she has based the entire article on was taken from the interview. The rest is purely the writer's suppositions and opinion. The quote is being taken out context and used quite liberally.

Sam L
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:07 AM
That's the only way papers are sold. This just doesn't happen in sport but in every type of news.

Midnite Surfer
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:14 AM
That's the only way papers are sold. This just doesn't happen in sport but in every type of news.

Yeah that's why said celebrities are wary of jounalists. Its sickening though. Journalism is supposed to be an honourable profession but it is just filled with greedy and antagonistic jerks. I guess they think that's what people want but it actually drives me away from the headlines.

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:41 AM
This article appears RIGGED;) but just like there could be an end to V@S winning slams and tourneys... so too can it be an end for other players. Frankly it appears that the article is talking more about Jen Cap than any other player/s in the top ten.

*abby*
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:08 AM
i think that altho it is obvious that her words have been misconstrued, what she is saying, if in this context, does make sense. i mean even if it isnt her that disrupts the "williams domination" there is goin to be someone and soon and im thinkin it will be a little belgian.she has said nothin untrue in this article she is just tellin it like it is, im definately not baggin on venus here cos i like her but she hasnt been up to her usual high standards lately which is perhaps why jenny suggested that the domination may soon be over. she is correct-no one can continue winnin for ever

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:38 PM
It's amazing how the interview transcripts and an article based on that transcript can be so different. :rolleyes:

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM
It's amazing how the interview transcripts and an article based on that transcript can be so different. :rolleyes:

Right???? :rolleyes: Gotta love the media...

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Um since when is Jen "closing in" on the Williams sisters? Jen is quickly sprinting back down the rankings and has shown no signs of improvement. Until I see some good results from her (which can still happen, of course), this article will remain baseless.

omigod ooooo said something intelligent! Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse? anyway jen's interview read differently. The article twisted things a bit. Though the belgians not jen are the biggest threat to the williams sisters. And for being so close in age the sisters have a big edge in the head to head against the belgians though justine seems to be closing it with her clay play.

Glenn
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:27 PM
omigod ooooo said something intelligent! Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse? anyway jen's interview read differently. The article twisted things a bit. Though the belgians not jen are the biggest threat to the williams sisters. And for being so close in age the sisters have a big edge in the head to head against the belgians though justine seems to be closing it with her clay play.
Everything he says is intelligent it's just that he's not constantly sucking up to the Williams sisters.
Whenever someone bashes or talks bad about someone who you hate also it's intelligent? :rolleyes:

SJW
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Jennifer was quite classy in her interview actually...she dealt with the comments regarding the W/S in top fashion

shes great...that article is crap and i hope anyone who believes it takes the time to read her interview

Rollo
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:52 PM
I'm happy to see the response so far to this thread. Midnite Surfer said it all. Anyone reading Jen's interview from yesterday knows this article was complete BS.

Jen's deserved a right good bashing for some stupid remrks in the past, but this is not one of those times.

rikvanlooy
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Compare what can be compared :

Venus turned pro when she was 14. She is now 23. In her first 13 GS she reached 2 times the SF as her best result.

2 SF

Serena turned pro when she was 16. She is now 21 (in september 22). In her first 15 GS she reached 1 time the SF (Wimbledon) and won the US Open.

1 SF and 1 win

Clijsters turned pro when she was 16. She is now 20 (two years younger than Serena). In her first 16 GS she reached 2 times the SF and was 2 times the RU.

2 SF and 2 RU

Justine turned pro when she was 17. She is now 21 (one year younger than Serena). In her first 15 GS she reached 3 times the SF and was 1 times the RU and won RG.

3 SF, 1 RU and 1 win

Who has had the best results ? I don't know.

SJW
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:34 PM
im sorry i think i missed ur point???? :confused:

persond
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Compare what can be compared :

Venus turned pro when she was 14. She is now 23. In her first 13 GS she reached 2 times the SF as her best result.

2 SF

Serena turned pro when she was 16. She is now 21 (in september 22). In her first 15 GS she reached 1 time the SF (Wimbledon) and won the US Open.

1 SF and 1 win

Clijsters turned pro when she was 16. She is now 20 (two years younger than Serena). In her first 16 GS she reached 2 times the SF and was 2 times the RU.

2 SF and 2 RU

Justine turned pro when she was 17. She is now 21 (one year younger than Serena). In her first 15 GS she reached 3 times the SF and was 1 times the RU and won RG.

3 SF, 1 RU and 1 win

Who has had the best results ? I don't know.

First of all, even if it was at 14 y/o that Venus turned "pro", she didn't play that much...and second of all, Venus was the runner-up to Hingis at the '97 US Open...however, what's important is that Venus is the "holder" of four (4) "Grand Slams Titles"... :p :p :p :p (and she'll possibly add number 5 in this fortnight...!!!)

BTW, Venus was 17 y/o at that US Open runner-up against Hingis... :p :p :p :p

SJW
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:24 PM
and Serena was 17 when she won the USO

so u know, maybe the stats favour the Williams more ;)

rikvanlooy
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:01 PM
First of all, even if it was at 14 y/o that Venus turned "pro", she didn't play that much...and second of all, Venus was the runner-up to Hingis at the '97 US Open...however, what's important is that Venus is the "holder" of four (4) "Grand Slams Titles"... :p :p :p :p (and she'll possibly add number 5 in this fortnight...!!!)

BTW, Venus was 17 y/o at that US Open runner-up against Hingis... :p :p :p :p

Kim was 17 when she reached the final of RG.

rikvanlooy
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM
and Serena was 17 when she won the USO

so u know, maybe the stats favour the Williams more ;)

A few months later Serena was 18.

BTW Serena should have lost against Kim in that slam. There was almost nothing between them.

Kim was playing her second GS.

SJW
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
shoulda???? u obv arent a sports fan. and btw when did Kim turn 18? like a few days after the final or something? right? ;)

i think u should quit right now while u still have some sense of dignity cos u wont beat me at arguing :D

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Well, I don't like the article but I am not suprised Jen would say something like this. She has said in the past that Rena and Venus would never be 1 and 2 without players being injured. I think Jen really resents both of them, think about it? IMO, she could of won all those slams that both Rena and Vee won in the past year. She was basically third in line, and really the only one competing at their level during that time.

Now you have Justine, and Kim added to the pack. Not to mention Capriati's struggles with Davenport, and Mauresmo. And now she has not even won a tournament in a year. I never thought that would happen, but I guess all things don't last forever.

If she is able to get past Rena in the qtrs, then I don't think she will beat the belgians.

IMO, the French Open was up for grabs because of the surface. IMO, clay is not the Serena or Venus's best surface at all. If someone was going to upset them, it was gonna happen on clay. I think it's still a good testament as too how good Serena is considering she did not grow up on clay like Justine.

Anywho....I think the Russians will break through and start beating the belgians. Then they will all try to fight the Williams, and the sisters will win some and lose some. I think Venus and Serena have contributed a stronger competitive nature to the WTA. You see girls now coming out and trying to win. I think it's good for the game, and hope my faves continue to win. :cool:

CapFan#1
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Well, I don't like the article but I am not suprised Jen would say something like this. She has said in the past that Rena and Venus would never be 1 and 2 without players being injured. I think Jen really resents both of them, think about it? IMO, she could of won all those slams that both Rena and Vee won in the past year. She was basically third in line, and really the only one competing at their level during that time.

Now you have Justine, and Kim added to the pack. Not to mention Capriati's struggles with Davenport, and Mauresmo. And now she has not even won a tournament in a year. I never thought that would happen, but I guess all things don't last forever.

If she is able to get past Rena in the qtrs, then I don't think she will beat the belgians.

IMO, the French Open was up for grabs because of the surface. IMO, clay is not the Serena or Venus's best surface at all. If someone was going to upset them, it was gonna happen on clay. I think it's still a good testament as too how good Serena is considering she did not grow up on clay like Justine.

Anywho....I think the Russians will break through and start beating the belgians. Then they will all try to fight the Williams, and the sisters will win some and lose some. I think Venus and Serena have contributed a stronger competitive nature to the WTA. You see girls now coming out and trying to win. I think it's good for the game, and hope my faves continue to win. :cool:

Oh shit, another brainless post/poster........ Read her whole fucking interview you moron before you get hooked by the media sensationalism in the article posted here.
Additionally, Jen NEVER said the S=V wouldn't be #s 1 and 2, that was Lynsday and Martina who said that. Please get your shit straight before you come back here spout off bull shit :mad:

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:09 PM

What was wrong with what she said? She said that the Sisters cant win all the time, and thats the truth... NO ONE can win all the time, I dont care what sport it is? Tiger is great, if not the best golfer, does he win all the time? NO. I could go on, but I'll digress... Jen is still a complete player who, yeah, has had some tough losses, but on any given day she could take any of thw WTA players out

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:23 PM
holy crap!
The whole article is based on one quote!
No point twisting it into what you want to hear or what you think it means or should mean :cool:

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Oh shit, another brainless post/poster........ Read her whole fucking interview you moron before you get hooked by the media sensationalism in the article posted here.
Additionally, Jen NEVER said the S=V wouldn't be #s 1 and 2, that was Lynsday and Martina who said that. Please get your shit straight before you come back here spout off bull shit :mad:

No cappy4ever you are wrong. Last year when Serena beat Capriati at the French she made those comments. She did say that Venus and Serena would not have reached #1 and #2 without the injuries of others.

So maybe you should get your info straight. Also, you are the moron. I am simply stating my opinion on Jen and her little comments and I did not do it in a negative way. Now if you cannot accept that then move on. :rolleyes:

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:31 PM
What was wrong with what she said? She said that the Sisters cant win all the time, and thats the truth... NO ONE can win all the time, I dont care what sport it is? Tiger is great, if not the best golfer, does he win all the time? NO. I could go on, but I'll digress... Jen is still a complete player who, yeah, has had some tough losses, but on any given day she could take any of thw WTA players out

True, noone can win all the time and she has a right to her opinion. I will give her that, but IMO Jen has a lot of resentment towards both sisters which is understandable. I'm simply pointing out that fact, that's all. :lick:

persond
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:50 PM
:cool: harloo, great response to "Mase" and "Cappy4Ever"...!!! :worship: :worship:

:D RikyLoony, what's the point of arguing the careers of Venus and Serena versus Justine and Kim...????? I mean, save for Justines French Open win, the Sisters have far more Grand Slams as well as other tournaments to their credit!!! Plus, the Williamses careers have taken on a "life" of their own, with their outside interests and many endorsements...!!! I mean, really, "what's the point...???

And, too, the fact that a person accomplishes a "feat" is what's most important, not what age at which they accomplishes it!!!

Mase
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
True, noone can win all the time and she has a right to her opinion. I will give her that, but IMO Jen has a lot of resentment towards both sisters which is understandable. I'm simply pointing out that fact, that's all. :lick:

Yep she does have a right to her opinion... I just dont know if 'resentment' is the right word to use. I think EVERY player on the tour at some point has gotten sick of losing to the Sisters, hell they're human and thats to be expected. But deep down every players respects them and they're game, so to say 'resent' IMO is off.... Frustrated sure..

CapFan#1
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:00 PM
No cappy4ever you are wrong. Last year when Serena beat Capriati at the French she made those comments. She did say that Venus and Serena would not have reached #1 and #2 without the injuries of others.

So maybe you should get your info straight. Also, you are the moron. I am simply stating my opinion on Jen and her little comments and I did not do it in a negative way. Now if you cannot accept that then move on. :rolleyes:

Again, you miss the point..... Read the whole interview not the media spin from both this year's Wimbly and last year's RG semis, and you would get the true picture. WAKE UP!!

Bella
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Lindsay and Martina? Don't believe rumours, no matter how often they are repeated. No fools said the sisters wouldn't be Grand Slam winners or top ranked. Those are just cherished fantasies that some people love because it make sports success a come-uppance. Get a source; get a clue.

*abby*
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:38 PM
dont u think that resent is a bit of a strong word?resent means hate and if u hate someone it means u wish they would die.(technical definition) now dont u think that is a bit harsh and btw jenny is only saying EXACTLY what every other player is thinking.
the whole article is based on one quote that has been completely misconsrued and taken out of proportion in order to get the reaction that we are seeing from all the jenny haters and whadyano here they are!!!!
get off her back she said nothing to deserve all u haters bashing her!!!!!!!!!!!!!all of u haters just back the fuck off!!!!!!!1

Miss Thang
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Child please. I know you put a copyright at the bottom to show it's "legit" but I still wanna see a link to this mess. :rolleyes:

SJW
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:28 PM
seriously....dont bash Jenn for this

they seem to have constructed an article out of invisible quotes and feelings of Jennifer...i mean she seriously didnt imply any of this

like i said, if u find urself bashing Jennifer, just take 5 minutes to read her interview and see how classy she was in it

Trish101
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:02 PM
ennifer, in my opinion, has no reason to feel resentment towards trhe william sisters. first of all she has consistently challenged serena all of her career ,and none of you can deny that, and the same can be said for venus, although she has never beaten venus-yet.Not to mention the fact trhat she has won many slams and has the chance to win more, with her skills, she could. MANY ppl on this board bash capriati and unfairly lower her because f this years results, well this year wasnt that bad anyhow, but i honestly think you are all worried that Jennifer does have a fighting chance, and a good chance at that, to beat anybody, yet you sem to enjoy calling her a 'looser' ok whatever . basically jen isnt jealous of the william sisters, that would be pointless cause jen has done just as much without winning as many slam...hey three slams and 14 yrs as a top tennis lady is 3 slams and 14 yrs as a top tennis lady....plus a gold medal to boot. Not to shaby if i say so myself.hehehe

jenny161185
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:11 PM
exactly serenajwilliams - this was taken out of text - she wasnt dissing the williams' they were talkin to jennifer about her not winning a title and how she as like in 01 and she was saying how hard it is to win everyone slam, not even the sisters can do it! shes not dissing them just stating facts with no disrespect -------- this is just another capriati bashing thread.

Trish101
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM
jenny161185...most threads dedicated to this kind of thing...williams vs capriati, are either capriati bashing threads or serena bashing threads...it sucks, but im tiered of complaining about it, ppl just love insulting the saddlebrook queen of tennis

Trish101
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:35 PM
and the pathetic thing is, the interview was a fun lovelky one too, yet knizzle had LOADS of fun making it a big freaking circus didnt you knizzle...whatever your just what i thought you where b-fore...mean...mean for starting up this thread filled with animosity, but thats cool cause im not affected at all, so do what you want....

Knizzle
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:54 AM
and the pathetic thing is, the interview was a fun lovelky one too, yet knizzle had LOADS of fun making it a big freaking circus didnt you knizzle...whatever your just what i thought you where b-fore...mean...mean for starting up this thread filled with animosity, but thats cool cause im not affected at all, so do what you want....

My point of the thread was that other players always say things about the WS in their interviews, but the WS never say bad things about other players. Didn't you see that in my first post I said that she may have been misquoted or taken out of context?? None of my posts had any animosity, and I'm not responsible for what other posters post. I'm not a mean spirited person. Do you read your posts after you type them??

alexusjonesfan
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:37 AM
My point of the thread was that other players always say things about the WS in their interviews, but the WS never say bad things about other players.

Knizzle, let's not start this debate again. You do realize most people are just posting here to piss off someone else on the other side. The Willies are gracious, but the other players are gracious too and everyone from the vociferous Serena to the reserved Lindsay, have slipped up at one time or another and said something inadvertantly. The questions they get asked are formulated precisely to get this kind of a slip, you know so they have something that'll sell newspapers. After all, there isn't much interesting stuff an interviewer can ask round after round, about matches which the top seeds just cruise through. So, they try to create a story and try to ask original questions and take stuff out of context and so on and on and on and on and on...