PDA

View Full Version : ATP def. WTA 4-2

Iconoclast
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:34 AM
What a surprise, after a 3-all on Tuesday it's back to normal. Wednesday is another ATP day on the two main courts of Wimbledon. 2 of the 3 matches on both Center Court and Court 1 will feature men: 4-2 for the ATP.

If you add it up, that's roughly 9-10 hours of men's tennis versus 2-3 hours of women's tennis on the primary courts where the broadcasters will focus most of their attention.

Lots of fun on Court 2, though. Both Hantuchova and Clijsters have outings there, as well as the Williams in doubles.

Doesn't change the overall picture of the scheduling. The women are getting shafted.

I realize that the tennis can end quite quickly if two women storm to victory in 40 minutes each and a top guy progresses in three sets in one and a half hour, but why not start at twelve noon and insert an extra women's match on Center and Court 1?

I'm aware that the men's tennis is a lot more exciting in the first week, but the discrepancy is quite substantial when you factor in the best-of-five format and the resulting length of those matches.

Ryan
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:40 AM
I disaagree. The mens tennis in the first week is NOT entertaining. The only mens match I've liked so far was Ginepri vs. Clement?(too many french dudes), but Agassi vs. Delgado put me to sleep. I would much rather see Venus Williams thump the ass off her opponent then bland, 5 hour long marathons.

Hopefully for once they'll show some lower ranked women playing at the beginning of the coverage, but they'll probably show Paradown *snore*, then Roger *snore*, Venus/Lindsay *yay!* Than Andy *booo* and no Kim, because she was unfortunate enough to be put on while Roddick is playing.:)

tyk101
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:40 AM
i agree!

fammmmedspin
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:40 AM
the problem is that the womens top 4 will have more 6-0 6-0 or 6-1 6-1 matches whereas Hewitt fulfilled his dramatic role by falling to manmountainwhoever. The answer is to put the best womens matches on the main courts but then you have to pick the Iroda's, Nadia's, Chandas, Veras and Marias and hope they produce a good match like Iroda did on Monday and Elena B and Miss Obata did today. Francesca V Amanda, which could be a very good match, isn't going to get on there though so we will get Venus culling someone instead and mens matches the rest of the day.

casanovalover
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:45 AM
stop whinging. the men's matches on wednesday are far interesting to the spectators and the non-wta diehards. i guess i am spoiled because i have two channels to watch and one shows a lot of outside women's matches.

tennischick
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:00 AM
...I'm aware that the men's tennis is a lot more exciting in the first week, but the discrepancy is quite substantial when you factor in the best-of-five format and the resulting length of those matches.
men's tennis is a whole lot more exciting. i can't believe the amount of time wasted today on that pointless Dokic-Baltacha match. not to mention Kim's double bagel over Rosanna de los Rios. :rolleyes: i got to see Serena which was the only match worth watching on the women's side today. as far as i am concerned, ESPN can begin coverage of women's tennis when we get down to the last 8. until then, give us all men*! ;) ;)

*minus Andy Roddick of course!

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Why can't they play 2 women's matches and 2 men's matches on the main courts? Both days now they have moved new matches onto Centre Court to fill time voids (a women's match the first day and a men's match the 2nd day).

I think it sucked that on Ladies' Day there was only 1 women's match on the Centre Court :( Surely they could have added a women' match to the lineup?

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:42 AM
mens tennis is boring as hell. If you watched Rusedski's first round match, that alone was a reason to turn tennis off for the day. No variety or rallies, just serve after serve.

also, I'm starting to think the women should go back to 16 seeds. The girls that are playing the top players in the first round are not good enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. You will get a few good matches, but the rest are 1-0, or 0-0(Kim, Mary). I do have to say that the women make you want to watch their early rounds because of their personalites moreso than the quality of tennis in the first week.

However, the men don't really give you a reason to even like them. Yes, they do have good matches at times but it's like so what. I personally like to watch a good tennis match whether it's a mens or womens match, but 5 hrs is just too long to watch a tennis match. Sorry, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

alexusjonesfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:55 AM
mens tennis is boring as hell. If you watched Rusedski's first round match, that alone was a reason to turn tennis off for the day. No variety or rallies, just serve after serve.

also, I'm starting to think the women should go back to 16 seeds. The girls that are playing the top players in the first round are not good enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. You will get a few good matches, but the rest are 1-0, or 0-0(Kim, Mary). I do have to say that the women make you want to watch their early rounds because of their personalites moreso than the quality of tennis in the first week.

However, the men don't really give you a reason to even like them. Yes, they do have good matches at times but it's like so what. I personally like to watch a good tennis match whether it's a mens or womens match, but 5 hrs is just too long to watch a tennis match. Sorry, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

I agree...umm sort of. I think the 16 seed system would make more sense because I don't think there are 32 players worth protecting 'till the later rounds anyway. I like the women's tour better for the personalities too but I don't think the ATP does a good enough job of promoting their players as people. The 'new balls please' thing was good but I don't think they did nearly enough with it and they could do a better job of selling themselves. Plus, with me living in North America, all I get to watch on TV(usually American TV) are Agassi and emerging American talents...well it turns out that other than Agassi (and Sampras at last years US), the other American men haven't been regularly making the later rounds of slams, so when I watched bits and pieces of Coria vs. Zabaleta at the French, I had no idea who they were, I had never seen them play before, and I only got to watch a bit of the match...how and why am I supposed to be interested in the non-Americans who make it to the later rounds of the tournaments?
And they wonder why men's singles finals get fewer viewers than women's doubles ;)

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:18 AM
I agree...umm sort of. I think the 16 seed system would make more sense because I don't think there are 32 players worth protecting 'till the later rounds anyway. I like the women's tour better for the personalities too but I don't think the ATP does a good enough job of promoting their players as people. The 'new balls please' thing was good but I don't think they did nearly enough with it and they could do a better job of selling themselves. Plus, with me living in North America, all I get to watch on TV(usually American TV) are Agassi and emerging American talents...well it turns out that other than Agassi (and Sampras at last years US), the other American men haven't been regularly making the later rounds of slams, so when I watched bits and pieces of Coria vs. Zabaleta at the French, I had no idea who they were, I had never seen them play before, and I only got to watch a bit of the match...how and why am I supposed to be interested in the non-Americans who make it to the later rounds of the tournaments?
And they wonder why men's singles finals get fewer viewers than women's doubles ;)

true. I agree somewhat, but people complain about ESPN showing Americans but every other country who carries tennis shows their own also.

I think the men are too nice to each other and that creates no sense of interest in the sport. Agassi and Sampras was a good rivalry that carried men's tennis for a while, but when Sampras started slipping their was noone to replace him. Of course there is Lleyton, but he is boring as hell and is a cyborg and quite rude as well. (SORRY KIM, you are a sweetie). But I still like to watch a good match, but I'm probably more vested in it if I feel like something extra is on the line whether it be pride, revenge, or whatever. You kind of sensed that with the Agassi/Sampras rivalry.

Anyways, I let me stop going on about this. :D

faboozadoo15
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:30 AM
IMO, people who dont like to see roger and Paradorn (i can understand andy, i guess) ARE NOT TENNIS FANS! roger has every shot in the book and is highly entertaining, paradorn is entertaining because of his go for it style, and andy is playing rusedski! no match in any draw is as interesting as that one!

Crazy Canuck
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM

This is on par with watching Ashley Harkleroad and saying that womens tennis is boring as hell, they are nothing but counterpunchers.

Couver
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:30 AM
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Some people like to see the early round mens matches and some people like to see the women.

Unfortunately for those of us who want to see the women, we get the short end of the stick. So we'll just have to live with it.

The funny thing is whenever the men breeze through their early round matches, no one mentions it, and it has happend.