PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova, Queen of Grunts :)

selesfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wimbledon-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- With every shot, Maria Sharapova lets out anything from a muted groan to a high-pitched shriek.

``She grunts loud, yes,'' said Ashley Harkleroad, who lost 6-2, 6-1 Tuesday to the 16-year-old Russian. ``There are some other girls that get annoyed with it and think it's ridiculous with her. But to me, I don't really think about it that much.''

With the match all but decided late in the second set, the 18-year-old American shouted to Sharapova: ``Louder.''

The crowd on Court No. 2 laughed. So did Harkleroad.

``I actually grunt pretty loud, too, especially if I'm playing her,'' Harkleroad said.

Sharapova was loud at times in the first round but seemed to muffle a few screams.

``I try not to make noise, but it's just something I've been doing all my life since I've been playing tennis,'' she said. ``It's something that I try to control but my mouth doesn't control the way I play. It's just a mouth.''

Asked about Sharapova's volume, defending champion Serena Williams said: ``It's only distracting if you make it distracting. And if you listen to it, it will be distracting.''

LOL@Ashley asking Maria to grunt louder. :)

Clumsythief
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:34 PM
I hear when someone was asking Masha to grunt louder, but I thought that it was someone in the crowd tho.

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Monica IS the queen of grunts.. not Masha!!

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:36 PM
You know at times Ashley was grunting loader, its just that Masha's is so unconventional.

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Its more of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarhhhhhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhhhhhh!

Then ah huh!

brunof
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:40 PM
She could take her "grunt" or scream to the top 10, honestly. At least Ash seems to be a good sport. Both are going into my signature! :)

treufreund
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Ashley you are so funny. :D

AmErIcAn
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:43 PM
No one grunts harder or louder than Monica

controlfreak
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:44 PM
The number one scream award may go to Sharapova, but the squeal-like-a-pig-when-you-miss-a-sitter award remains firmly in the clutches of a certain South American parvenu... :)

selesfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:21 AM
The number one scream award may go to Sharapova, but the squeal-like-a-pig-when-you-miss-a-sitter award remains firmly in the clutches of a certain South American parvenu... :)

LOL! Do you mean Guga or Zabaleta? ;)

the cat
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Thankfully Maria has toned down her grunting since Birmingham! :angel: