PDA

View Full Version : Dokic and the Fed Cup

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Q. You said at the French that you were considering whether to go back and play for Australia perhaps in the Olympics or the Fed Cup, weighing up that sort of decision. Have you come to any decision on that?

JELENA DOKIC: No. I mean, I have better things to think about, especially my game. I need to come back to what I was. You know, I want to get back in the Top 4 or 5 where I was, that's my priority now. Olympics and Fed Cup is a long way away.

I mean, I'm not in a situation to play Fed Cup, first of all. It's always in the middle of tournaments. It's not ideal for me to travel and play. I play enough tournaments as it is. The year's very long, the schedule's very full. So I'm definitely not planning on playing Fed Cup. I mean, it's just not ‑‑ it would just be too much, first of all.

And the Olympics, they're a year and a half away. I mean, Fed Cup I have no plans for right now. It's just not something I want to do and spend my energy on. And Olympics are not here yet. So I will think about the Olympics when it comes to that.

Q. Don't you have to play Fed Cup for your country twice in order to represent them?

JELENA DOKIC: No. I think the rules have changed. WTA has asked to get ranking ‑‑ ITF to get ranking points, and they decided not to have to play Fed Cup ties before the Olympics. I can make up my mind in the last minute.

--------------------

Is she correct about don't have to play Fed Cup matches before the Olympics?

vutt
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Yes she is!

more info: http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/story.asp?id=228

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Yes she is!

more info: http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/story.asp?id=228
Thanks! :) And I didn't know that it will play Hard not Clay!

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Does the article say anything about Fed Cup? I can't see it at all :confused: or I miss something? :o

vutt
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Hm, now I'm confused to after reading this article:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6651203-27638,00.html

Kuilli
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I don't think they removed the existing eligibility rules, they just added the WTA ranking rules. So, the Foxsoprts news article is probably right saying that Dokic misunderstood the rules.

Here is a part from your first link, vutt:
"The ATP and WTA Tour rankings will be used as the basis for determining the top 48 direct acceptances in the 64-draw for men and women respectively, subject to the limitations outlined below and existing eligibility requirements."

But, then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding it. ;)

Kuilli
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Ok, here's another one:
http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/html/2004index.html

"Player eligibility: to be eligible to compete for in the Olympic Tennis Event players must be no younger than 14 years as at 31/12/2003 (men) or 15 years as at 13/8/2004 (women). Each player must have made him/herself available to represent his/her country in any of the international Team Championships of the ITF (for example Davis Cup or Fed Cup) for two of the following years - 2001/2001/2003/2004 - providing one of those years is 2003 or 2004. In relation to the Davis Cup and Fed Cup competitions in these years a player who makes him/herself available for selection for one Tie will be deemed to have fulfilled the requirement for that year."

So, looks like she did misunderstand the rules.

vutt
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks Kuilli. It seems she misunderstood.

Anyway Id go with ITF spokesmen viewpoint rather than with one young blonde girl ones. ;)

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:47 AM
So, she definitely won't play for Australia unless if she interested to play next month at Wollongong.

vutt
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM
btw. by FedCup rules team members should be named 10 days before first match...

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
btw. by FedCup rules team members should be named 10 days before first match...
Bye-bye to Athens Olympics for Dokic...

Kuilli
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I think the deadline for naming the teams is July 9. So, Dokic doesn't have much time left to learn the rules and make up her mind if she is interested in playing at the Olympics next year.