PDA

View Full Version : Typical Megan?

SerenaSlam
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:05 PM
When she beat Venus the first time she had a let down.

She beat her again in Miami, and yet another let down.

I don't think she will ever be a top 10 player in her life.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:22 PM
I find it funny every time she beats a top player she is hyped like the second coming of christ and then no results. :rolleyes:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:26 PM
meghann. Meghann.

she's a good goddamn player. she's not the second coming of christ, so don't expect that. but she started this year at #30, and look where she is now. so give her credit. beating venus was not the only thing she's done this year. if you paid a little more attention, you would be aware of that.

tennisfan1972
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM
If she did more we'd be aware of it also. I guess ::shrugs::

Astro Jetson
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:58 PM
And she trained with Justine at Wimbledon :rolleyes:

BB
you should first learn thats her name is MEGHANN!!!!!

Mateo Mathieu
(Scoffs) No comment...

BB
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Meghann is a amazign player, very talented. But at the moment she has a down...but I'm pretty sure she will come back!
Every player goes through a deep!

hinquit
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:30 PM
meghann. Meghann.

she's a good goddamn player. she's not the second coming of christ, so don't expect that. but she started this year at #30, and look where she is now. so give her credit. beating venus was not the only thing she's done this year. if you paid a little more attention, you would be aware of that.

If I were one of the moderators on this board, you be gone long time and never returned. Sometimes we take some of the comments we
made here a joke but with you anything about the Williams sisters,
particularly Venus' is evil.
Do you think Shaughnessy is not hyped. Well I believe she did.
Beating Venus Williams one or two times when she is not fit is a big
result for her and all of you bigot like you will begin a long thread about
that all long day.
You should be ashamed of yourself to even argue with anybody who
talk about Venus. Shaughnessy and Venus are almost the same age,
and what Venus has accomplished in her career. In Shaughnessy's
whole career, she earned what Venus earned in just one year.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:36 PM
If I were one of the moderators on this board, you be gone long time and never returned. Sometimes we take some of the comments we
that all long day.

did i mention venus in my post, you mental cripple?

Why don't you go back to your coloring book and see if you can draft a coherent post for me next time? i'll give you a gold star.

alexusjonesfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
that all long day.

easy there :eek:

btw, wasn't Meghann in the top 10 at one point? I remember she hung around the 11-12 places for a while there :confused:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
easy there :eek:

btw, wasn't Meghann in the top 10 at one point? I remember she hung around the 11-12 places for a while there :confused:

Hit #11 or #12. never got higher. So far.

Infiniti2001
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:41 PM
The Venus curse . The shame shit happened after Stanford 2001:p :wavey:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:42 PM
The Venus curse :p :wavey:

it's not really working on serena.

Infiniti2001
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:44 PM
it's not really working on serena.

Nah, it's usually on lower ranked players :mad:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:46 PM
meghann. Meghann.

she deserves all the credit for climbing back up the rankings. Thats tough to do. HOWEVER, we didn't hear anything about meghan in the media until she BEAT VENUS. Then she was hyped like the second coming of christ. Did I say she was the second coming? No, because she's not, but the media sure acted like she would be.

Meghan is a gifted top twenty possibly top ten player. nothing more nothing less.

The same thing happened when she beat a top player before in 2001. Guess who that top player was? Yup you gussed it.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:48 PM
she deserves all the credit for climbing back up the rankings. Thats tough to do. HOWEVER, we didn't hear anything about meghan in the media until she BEAT VENUS. Then she was hyped like the second coming of christ. Did I say she was the second coming? No, because she's not, but the media sure acted like she would be.

Meghan is a gifted top twenty possibly top ten player. nothing more nothing less.

The same thing happened when she beat a top player before in 2001. Guess who that top player was? Yup you gussed it.

cybelle, the media makes a big deal about upsets. what else is new? but if you realize that they are full of shit, then tell me what is the need for these types of thread bashing a player for not living up to unrealistic hype?

if you don't like a media piece, deal with it. you don't have to take your frustration out on the players. that is my point.

who was that top player in 2001? Seles? ;)

alexusjonesfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:59 PM
cybelle, the media makes a big deal about upsets. what else is new? but if you realize that they are full of shit, then tell me what is the need for these types of thread bashing a player for not living up to unrealistic hype?

I have to agree, thanks to the press, we've been waiting for quite a few players to arrive after they get that crucial big upset and often their career careens into the opposite direction after(/because of?) the hype (Bedanova, Lucic etc. anyone?)

Besides, I think it's an amazing compliment to Venus and one of the signs that you've become a champion in the eyes of the press is when they hype anyone who beats you as the next big thing. If beating Venus is all it takes to be thought of as the second coming, then Venus must be someone pretty important ;)

hinquit
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM
The Venus curse . The shame shit happened after Stanford 2001:p :wavey:

Nobody believes in that Venus' curse. It is nothing like exists.
Shaughnessy's two defeats over Venus were all flukes and nothing
more. She never won the tournaments on the two occasion she
defeated Venus.
Shaughnessy is nowhere near Venus in term of ability or otherwise.
She may take pleasure at beating but at the same time she failed
to realize that her career is going nowhere while Venus had already
accomplished everything anyone could wish for in a career.

*JR*
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:48 AM
you should first learn thats her name is MEGHANN!!!!!
Could have been referring to Megan Falcon (or even Megan Bradley)! :p

i heart backhand
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:06 AM
I think Meghann threw this match. In her mind she would have met Serena in the 3rd round and didn't stand much chance getting through there on grass, so why bother? She wasn't going to defend her 4th round points, so she decided to go out early.

Now, you must be asking, why would she do that? The answer my dear lies in 2004! Meghann will return to Wimbledon and make it to the Quarterfinals, picking up quite a few points.

Pineapple does crazy things to your mind.

Doc
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:15 AM
So, when venus loses, its a "fluke"?

When Meghann loses, it "proves" she's hopeless??

Talk about "haters"...

Meghann is great, and is worthy of a Top Ten place.

Infiniti2001
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:26 AM
So, when venus loses, its a "fluke"?

When Meghann loses, it "proves" she's hopeless??

Talk about "haters"...

Meghann is great, and is worthy of a Top Ten place.

1 (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA
6006.00 2148.00 12
2 (2) CLIJSTERS, KIM
5388.00 1854.00 22
3 (3) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE
4823.00 1727.00 20
4 (4) WILLIAMS, VENUS
4028.00 1347.00 12
5 (5) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY
3477.00 1096.00 19
6 (6) MAURESMO, AMELIE
3454.00 1268.00 15
7 (8) CAPRIATI, JENNIFER
2550.00 738.00 19
8 (7) RUBIN, CHANDA
2544.00 969.00 20
9 (9) HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA
2325.00 799.00 24
10 (10) MYSKINA, ANASTASIA
1874.00 600.00 25
20 (20) SHAUGHNESSY, MEGHANN
1429.00 547.00 26

Methinks the top 10 is way too crowded for Meghann right now :p

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:44 AM
1 (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA
6006.00 2148.00 12
2 (2) CLIJSTERS, KIM
5388.00 1854.00 22
3 (3) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE
4823.00 1727.00 20
4 (4) WILLIAMS, VENUS
4028.00 1347.00 12
5 (5) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY
3477.00 1096.00 19
6 (6) MAURESMO, AMELIE
3454.00 1268.00 15
7 (8) CAPRIATI, JENNIFER
2550.00 738.00 19
8 (7) RUBIN, CHANDA
2544.00 969.00 20
9 (9) HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA
2325.00 799.00 24
10 (10) MYSKINA, ANASTASIA
1874.00 600.00 25
20 (20) SHAUGHNESSY, MEGHANN
1429.00 547.00 26

Methinks the top 10 is way too crowded for Meghann right now :p

Methinks the top 3 is a little too crowded for venus.

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Nobody believes in that Venus' curse. It is nothing like exists.
Shaughnessy's two defeats over Venus were all flukes and nothing
more. She never won the tournaments on the two occasion she
defeated Venus.
Shaughnessy is nowhere near Venus in term of ability or otherwise.
She may take pleasure at beating but at the same time she failed
to realize that her career is going nowhere while Venus had already
accomplished everything anyone could wish for in a career.

Shaughnessy is going nowhere? venus is the one going DOWN in the rankings.

harloo
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Shaughnessy is going nowhere? venus is the one going DOWN in the rankings.

You are right about one thing, Shaughnessy IS going nowhere, especially losing first rounds of slams. Oh yeah she will make the top 10 for sure with those type of results. :rolleyes:

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:32 AM
You are right about one thing, Shaughnessy IS going nowhere, especially losing first rounds of slams. Oh yeah she will make the top 10 for sure with those type of results. :rolleyes:

I don't recall saying she would make the top ten.

Diya
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:58 AM
So when she beat Venus in staright sets , one set score even being 6-1 was it because Meghan was playing great or was it because Venus was "injured" .....Never mind ;)

and yeah Venus is a witch who curses players who beat her and yeah her curses even work . Meghan's form since that victory over Venus is solid proof of that :rolleyes:

maximus82
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Just a note on Meghann, as I was able to watch a few games of her match...I am a big fan of hers and was hoping her to see her crush her opponent (who was not playing THAT well), but Meghann was just spraying balls all over the court. Particularly her backhand return was pathetic...I watched her miss 3-4 in a row on the deuce courts and the serves were only 70-80 mph. She hit some big winners at times, but overall her performance was really disheartening :( :( :(

Hopefully her play will pick up on the hard courts!

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:45 AM
In 2001 Meghann played very intelligent tennis and climbed up the rankings.
Then she bulked up, and obviously she transformed her brain into muscles as well, as she's now mostly playing dumb tennis.
Beating Venus was more a fluke as well, Meghann took advantage of her poor play.

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:50 AM
In 2001 she played very intelligent tennis and climbed up the rankings.
Then she bulked up, and obviously she transformed her brain into muscles as well, as she's now mostly playing dumb tennis.
Beating Venus was more a fluke as well, Meghann took advantage of her poor play.

Was winning Canberra a fluke? Was making the Australian QF a fluke? Was making the Scottsdale semis, Indian Wells 4th round and Miami QF a fluke? If so, she's been getting awfully flukey this year, huh.

Meghann beat Venus fair and square. i don't give a shit how people think Venus played, SHE LOST THE MATCH SO GIVE MEGHANN SOME CREDIT. She didn't stand there and do NOTHING. Venus didn't hand it to her. Christ, how hard is it?

Meghann has tailed off after the spring hardcourts. But she'll be back on the summer ones, I'm sure. She just needs a few weeks off, and now she's got it.

GoDominique
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:02 PM
So she won a tier V as the 2nd seed.
So she reached the quarters at AO by beating two qualifiers and Bovina.
So she reached the semis in Scottsdale by beating Dokic.

Not too impressive IMO. Consistent yes, but not more.

And what's a win worth over Venus when you lose a match against Jennifer in the next round which Meghann should NEVER have lost. BTW, it looks lik this loss might really have hurt her, as she hasn't done anything since then.

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:07 PM
So she won a tier V as the 2nd seed.
So she reached the quarters at AO by beating two qualifiers and Bovina.
So she reached the semis in Scottsdale by beating Dokic.

Not too impressive IMO. Consistent yes, but not more.

And what's a win worth over Venus when you lose a match against Jennifer in the next round which Meghann should NEVER have lost. BTW, it looks lik this loss might really have hurt her, as she hasn't done anything since then.

Meghann is 0-7 against Jennifer. I never thought she could win that match. She did well to get so close.

i think what hurt her is overplaying.

A win over Venus is worth quite a bit, obviously. Look how riled up people get. Must be a big deal.

She's had a good year. I'mnot sure why she's a failure in people's eyes now.

Julian
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Here's an excerpt that BJK said today:

"I need to sit Meghann down at Fed Cup and listen to what she has to say and see if I can help," King said. "She's gone through a lot of changes. She's changed her backhand, she's changed the footwork on her volley, and you also have to remember she was engaged to her coach, and now she's not anymore, but she still kept him as her coach. So she's been through a lot."

Not to mention how much Meghann went through early in her life as well..unlike Capriati and other young Americans the U.S. federation did not give her as much support so she was all by herself..she left her family to train not to mention got lost in touch with them which is sad too. And no one was there EXCEPT her coach..and her and her coach have been together IMO as long and close as a relationship that Meghann has ever had with anyone else. I thought Meghann had it together after the winter break but looks like she's and "on and off player"..and what BJK said about Meghann changing her techniques could also be a bad idea...she's not a spring chicken anymore lol and it could be very hard to change ur game after so long..I know because in Arantxa's last few years on the tour she tried to develop an aggressive game which wasn't working as well as she hoped. :sad:

But all in all I would never say Meghann was a "flukey" player..she's one of the most hard working players on the tour, she spends heaps amount of time in the gym and IMO by just looking at her I can tell that tennis is her #1 priority in life..like Daniela Hantuchova (who is also one of my fave players) I think it's all MENTAL. Like Dani maybe Meghann deserves a break as well...