PDA

View Full Version : Maria SHUT-UP-ova

selesrules
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM
:eek: People used to complain about Monica's grunt, especially at Wimbledon, yet here's Maria Sharapova screaming like she's giving birth on each shot, and no gruntometer is brought up. :rolleyes:

But wow, it's the first time I see her and she plays great :angel:

irma
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM
she got a warning in birmingham

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
i wouldnt wish the gruntometer on anyone. thats terrible for a teenager to deal with, but i think her coach should try to get her to tone it down. i dont know if id be able to play against someone that loud.

Mattographer
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:10 PM
She won't disturb me while she screaming :angel: Most of you guys know why ;) LOL!

the cat
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Maria's grunting is quieter than it used to be.

Foot_Fault
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Shut-up-ova...........love It!!!!!!!!

MAURO
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:50 PM
she is insoportable but she is lovely too

Lindsayfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:58 PM
yeah i cannot stand her grunt and also her C'mon at every point.she played first round like she was playing the Wimbledon final.Calm down Maria! :rolleyes:

Havok
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:02 PM
didn't bother me, i kinda liked it, but she can shorten it a bit. she keeps the grunt well after she strikes the ball. hey whatever makes her play as good as she's playing right now is fine by me

Mattographer
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:07 PM
her C'mon at every point.she played first round like she was playing the Wimbledon final.Calm down Maria! :rolleyes:
Excatly what I thought! :o

razzponic
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Wimbledon-Sharapova, the new big noise in tennis
2003-06-24 16:41:21 GMT (Reuters)

By Paul Majendie

LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Russian teenager Maria Sharapova, hailed as the new big noise in women's tennis, grunted her way to victory at Wimbledon on Tuesday in a battle of the blonde beauties against American Ashley Harkleroad.

Sharapova, whose grunts have even enticed tabloid newspapers to put decibel counters courtside, swept vociferously into the second round in under an hour with an easy 6-2 6-1 win.

The stands on court two were packed for the glamour match amid endless speculation as to whether there might be not just one, but two young players set to eclipse the absent Anna Kournikova as the next modelling sensation in tennis.

Harkleroad has been dubbed "Kourna-Copy" after the feeding frenzy her looks provoked, but on Tuesday the 18-year-old could not hold a candle on court to Sharapova, who is two years her junior.

In a British pre-Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Edgbaston a week ago, Sharapova's French opponent Nathalie Dechy complained to the umpire about the Russian's grunting and the threat of disciplinary action brought the noise level down.

At Wimbledon, Harkleroad let rip with some hefty grunts of her own but nothing could match the volume from Sharapova, who at one stage had the crowd gasping at the decibel level despite the Russian's obvious efforts to muffle her moans.

But world number one Serena Williams sprung to the teenager's defence when asked to pitch into the biggest Wimbledon grunting debate since Monica Seles let rip.

"I was playing on centre court last year and I heard her," the defending champion said of the teenager.

"But you know, I found it funny if anything. It doesn't bother me and I hope she doesn't let it bother her.

"It's only distracting if you make it distracting and if you listen to it, it will be distracting," Williams said.

Sharapova, the classic rags-to-riches story of a girl from a poor Siberian family, was first spotted by nine-times Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova.

She came to Florida at the age of eight to attend the world renowned Nick Bollettieri tennis academy.

Now her mentor, who first nurtured Andre Agassi to greatness, is fiercely proud of her: "She is an agent's dream and her drive and ambition can make her a big noise beyond her trademark grunting."

__________________________________________________ ________

Maria is the new grunt queen! Sorry Serena....
;)

griffin
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:42 PM
she got a warning in birmingham

Oh, we don't like facts that undermine our arguments here! :fiery:
;)

lakeway11
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:46 PM
if she's stays with Bolletterri she'll be fine unlike AnnaK who left him...

tenn_ace
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM
if she's stays with Bolletterri she'll be fine unlike AnnaK who left him...

she has already left him... her new coach is the guy who used to coach Lindsay D. back many years ago... in California

fammmmedspin
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:52 PM
I thought she sounded like a higher pitched version of Serena anyway and unfortunately for the current top 20 she may soon be playing as well too.

SerenasMelons
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Did ESPN show any coverage of her match today? I saw a couple of points in the brief highlights, but I didn't see any continuous coverage of her match. Did I miss it?

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:13 PM
yeah i cannot stand her grunt and also her C'mon at every point.she played first round like she was playing the Wimbledon final.Calm down Maria! :rolleyes:

LOL Val! :D

xin
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Did ESPN show any coverage of her match today? I saw a couple of points in the brief highlights, but I didn't see any continuous coverage of her match. Did I miss it?

Yes, you did miss it. But only two games and maybe two more points. But the grunting is enough for me :eek:

smarties
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
For once I have to agree with Serena, her grunt didn't bother me, au contraire, I found it verry cool but of course, the first time you hear it, you're like I can't believe my ears!!! :eek:. Sure she's gonna get some bad comments for it but when you're different, you always do. I think it suits her fiesty attitude on court verry well actually.

Seenus
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:25 PM
She was good. She made Harkelrod look like a hack.

Jippo McScally
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:23 PM
yet here's Maria Sharapova screaming like she's giving birth on each shot

LMAO!!!!!! :p

CanadianBoy21
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM
It was definitely something new.
I heard she grunted loud, but when I saw few games on tv I'm like "WOW", she totally suprised me, she was 10 times AS LOUD AS SERENA AND MONICA COMBINED!!!!!!!
She is a great player though, and the grunting did not annoy me one bit, it was actually funny.

Dawn Marie
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I heard her baby grunt but this.. WOW! It was totally on my nerve!

i like her game and want her to do well but that grunting is way too loud. Maybe I'll get use to it though.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Her grunt really got on my nerves...But I have to forgive her...She seems to be a *pretty* good player ;)

LucasArg
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Her screams were irritant for me :o :fiery:

She plays very well for her age, but she really needs to calm down.

caramel
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:57 AM
I haven´t heard her grunt, yet but I´d really love to as it seems like everyone is talking about it these days. :p

tennischick
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Maria's grunting is quieter than it used to be.
oh gee that's comforting. :rolleyes: she's still ridiculously loud however. she is waaaay too intense. she seems to have a nice game from the little bit i saw. but now i wonder if Anna avoided playing her a few months ago just to protect her eardrums! :eek:

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:38 AM
oh gee that's comforting. :rolleyes: she's still ridiculously loud however. she is waaaay too intense. she seems to have a nice game from the little bit i saw. but now i wonder if Anna avoided playing her a few months ago just to protect her eardrums! :eek:

yeah, that's it. anna wanted to save her pride... i mean, eardrums.

her grunt is only annoying if you lose to her. ;) it was the same way with seles. a frustrated, beaten opponent will grasp at straws.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Her grunt was just too loud. I don't think you can even call them 'grunts'. She's a banshee. ;)

Penne1
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:25 AM
It's kind of cute really - I really don't think she is aware of how extreme it is. Honestly, if you knew you were making that noise wouldn't you try to at least tone it down a bit??

Her game is awesome though - it was the first time I had seen her play and I expected a close one after the great year that Harkelroad has had.

Fantastic forehand! Just imagine how good she could be when she matures more physically and gets stronger. She seems mentally very tough!

Can't wait to see more of her game.

Cersei
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:03 PM
lol hmmm didn't see her play yet, but now i'm really curious...
doesn't anyone have an audio file of her "grunt"?;)

Experimentee
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM
I saw her on tv and it sounded different to how i remember...when i saw her earlier this year her grunt was low pitched, more like a growl. Now it is like a shriek! But she does have lots of different grunts, probably changes it to suit the occasion.

Fantastic
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Maria's grunting at Wimbledon is actually more restrained than just two weeks ago at Birmingham. She has tried to tone it down but in the heat of battle, you lose yourself in the moment and play the way you've always played to get the job done.

Nobody managed to silence Monica Seles for long, so I don't think anybody will ever silence Maria Sharapova. Hey look, I just noticed they have the same initials! Hehe. :D

luvmytennis
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:50 PM
:bounce: If she keeps playing like she played yesterday, she will drive JHH crazy!! She was good. I was impressed! First time, I'd seen her play!!