PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova kicks the crap out of Harkleroad, 6-2, 6-1 !!!

MarcusRock
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Dang.

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Uh-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh She's loud!!! Makes Monica sound like a librarian! :)

katrientje
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:39 PM
32 winner and only 9 UE's, impressive Maria!

jenglisbe
and Harkleroad didn't play bad at all...she had 10 winners to only 3 errors!! I don't think she has a lot of power (98mph was her fastest serve), and it seems like she was overpowered.

Jordan.
Do you like HER now, Seles? :wavey:

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:40 PM
i know!!! but i like it a lot. she reminds me of her so much for some reason.

Hurley
She just beat the hell out of her. Masha was pounding winners!

I think she's a very special player.

Mattographer
Ashley played bad...

Seles_Beckham
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Bravo MARIA

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM
her returns are awesome!

LeonHart
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Maria played GREAT!!! Her groundstrokes are soild & hard!! wowsers!

Cariaoke
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Well damn... :eek: :eek:

:worship: @ Maria...
better luck next time, Ashley.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:47 PM
i hope she plays dokic...

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Do you like HER now, Seles? :wavey:
She's ok. It'll be nice to watch her rise thru the rankings. And I hope she does well... but I wish that of every player. I'm more pro-TENNIS than anti-anyone. So, yes I like her - but I'm not her biggest fan.

Jordan.
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Oh, ok.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:57 PM
She does have a smoking forehand but that grunt!!! It is bloody freakin murder!!! I think that is by far the loudest and the most annoying SCREAM I've heard...Give me Monica's sound effects anyday.

I would have the chair ump tell her to put a cap on it as well!! :eek: :eek: To see the ball flying at you at a million miles an hour and hearing a blood curdling shriek at the same time...DAMN!!

Ashley handled it well. She tried to do the right thing but just got pounded. :sad:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Ashley played bad...

nah, ashley got beat down.

RAA
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM
I hope they showed at least a bit of this match on tv so I can watch it. I haven't seen Sharapova play and want to see (hear) what all the buzz is about...

Rocketta
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Uh-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh She's loud!!! Makes Monica sound like a librarian! :)

Hey I'm a Librarian! :fiery: :fiery:

were not as quiet as you think! ;)

vs1
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Very impressive win from Maria!! ESPN showed just a little bit of the second set, but Maria was striking out at second serves like they were nothing!! And she went for corners and lines and got them pretty well nailed down! I hope she goes deep and gets to play a top player. I'm cheering for her!!!! :p :)

Scotso
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:08 PM
She might be good, but I had to put the TV on mute. That grunt is the most awful sound I've ever heard in my life.

the cat
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Even though ESPN2 only showed 2 games and 1 point of this match, you could tell that Maria just savaged Ashley! :eek: That was an impressive performance by Maria! :D Ashley seemed to take the loss well. There was nothing she could do.

adss
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:50 PM
of what tsn showed, she's got a really good game

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM
AlexSydney - How did Ashley play bad when she hit more winners than errors? was she hitting shorter than normal?

Cariaoke
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:17 PM
wow... Maria's grunt must be really bad. I've yet to hear it.

Shooter
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:21 PM
This is the outcome I'd expect on grass. But on clay I think Harkleroad would win. People have been commenting on Sharapova's grunt. A related issue are her facial expressions while hitting the ball. They are very contorted, which is unfortunate because it makes Maria less photogenic. This is true of most players to a lesser extent. Very few of them have attractive expressions on their faces when stroking a tennis ball. But Maria's are extra contorted. The best pictures we will see of her will be in ready positions, holding the winner's trophy, doing public relations, and in interviews. In general she's a beautiful girl.

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/Shooter.jpg

fammmmedspin
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:12 PM
we got to see the whole match - Ashley was good.Maria was overwhelming - looked like she had watched a lot of the Willams sisters when she was a kid. It wasn't a case of a star is born it was more of a supernova and its heading up the rankings somewhere near you soon.

pircy
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:14 PM
From the 20 minutes I saw of the match on ESPN, Sharapova has a killer forehand and played really really well. It didn't seem like Harkleroad played bad, it was just she didn't have the answers to the shots Sharapova was hitting to her.

And man, that grunt!! :eek:

xin
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Yep, it's totally like a Williams playing Ashley. Poor Ashley. She has to coup with the grunt and power at the same time.

topspin
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:51 PM
we got to see the whole match - Ashley was good.Maria was overwhelming - looked like she had watched a lot of the Willams sisters when she was a kid. It wasn't a case of a star is born it was more of a supernova and its heading up the rankings somewhere near you soon.

fammmmedspin, Sharkyfan had posted a Maria interview in a thread some time ago and in the interview Maria said the two tennis players who she admired the most were Serena and Venus....

That statement really shocked me. How could anyone admire those arrogant, ungraceful, unfriendly, overconfident, outspoken, and evil Williams Sisters?

Why would anyone want to be like them?

Maria's admiration of them had really influenced my feelings about her.

Go Serena, Venus, and Maria!

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:56 PM
ive also heard her say that her idol growing up was monica seles....

jean_genie
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Yay Maria!!!

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:05 PM
The match was closer then the score suggested, but for me Masha was the winner straight from the beginning, Bovina better watch herself!

RayRob
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:06 PM
An impressive show of great tennis from Sharapova - I was mesmarised by her performance.

Hope to see her play on Saturday - a great prosepect for the game!

-Rachel :wavey:

Clumsythief
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:33 PM
"ive also heard her say that her idol growing up was monica seles...."

When did u hear that? I watched of of her interview when she was 12 years old and she said that she doesn't have any idol. She said that she is her own idol or something like that.

Errinella
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:34 PM
:bounce: YAY! Maria!!!

I had the good fortune to watch her match!! The first time I've seen her play and she's FANTASTIC!!

This was a real bitch fest; love the way Maria dominated the warm-up! She kept getting in the return position against Harkleroad when the latter was practising her serves and it was clear the American was psyched out before she even got underway!!!

Maria is the most exciting upcoming player I've seen since Henin and Clijsters came along! She's incredibly positive, gutsy and relentless... Oh and she brilliantly noisy! Reminded me of when I saw Monica Seles on Court 2 in 1989!

jenny161185
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:21 AM
isnt she only 16?maybe we can have our first 16yr old slam winner since hingis ;)

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:10 AM
wow go Maria! I wanna hear that grunt!

UDiTY
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:14 AM
I admit, she was pretty impressive.
...but OMG her grunt is the most annoying thing I have ever heard.

I have heard you guys talk about it on here but had never seen her play, man it hurt my ears. :eek:

Richie77
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Way to go Maria! Hopefully this will be her breakout tournament. :)

DANG, I wish I had cable so I could watch this all live!

Cariaoke
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Good lord... I saw the two games espn showed and I am now a fan. I was sort of a fan before but it's hard to base your fandom on a scoreboard. Seeing her in action, took my breath away. She hits a clean ball and the way she got pumped up between points cracked me up. She is really a young Monica/Williams sister with a deadly forehand. :hearts:

R&J
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Good lord... I saw the two games espn showed and I am now a fan. I was sort of a fan before but it's hard to base your fandom on a scoreboard. Seeing her in action, took my breath away. She hits a clean ball and the way she got pumped up between points cracked me up. She is really a young Monica/Williams sister with a deadly forehand. :hearts:
This is the 1st time I got to finally see her. And I also found myself laughing a little at amazement at how LOUD her grunting is. Monica does not grunt at all compared to Maria.;)
Congrats to Sharapova for winning her 1st rd :bounce:

A-Rod#1Fan
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Maria played great... but she's still losing in the next round.

tenn_ace
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:51 AM
as I have predicted: an easy win for Maria...

people shouldn't go overboard with all the praises... Ashley is a claycourter who hardly wins on other courts: hard, carpet or grass... let's wait and see how Maria does against someone who is more comfortable on grass

selesfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:56 AM
I admit, she was pretty impressive.
...but OMG her grunt is the most annoying thing I have ever heard.

I have heard you guys talk about it on here but had never seen her play, man it hurt my ears. :eek:

Its not even a grunt, she is screaming, it sounds so odd.

o0O0o
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Maria is much more promising than the other young players because, although the others are technically sound, Maria looks like she has the groundstrokes of Davenport...give her a few years and I could see her blasting the Williams sisters and the Belgians off the court. :eek:

OK maybe those are high expectations...but talk about power!

King Lindsay
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Maria played great... but she's still losing in the next round.

she'll send bovina off.

Diya
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:41 AM
It was in many ways a match between the future of American tennis v/s that of Russian tennis and the lopsided result really points to the end of the American domination and the beginning of the Russian Rule in womens tennis !

Go Maria !