PDA

View Full Version : How did the Ferrero match get on Centre Court?

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:25 PM
I love me some Ferrero, but how in the hell is he on Centre Court? He's not a fave for the title, and his opponent isn't British. Is Juan Carlos loved in Britain and I don't know about it?

I am just surprised he is on Centre Court over people like Jennifer Capriati (it is ladies' day) and Tim Henman (he is British).

wongqks
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:28 PM
please stop questioning about schduling, they don't put all the best match on centre court, they have to make sure debentures holders (people who has tickets for centre court all two weeks) get to see different players. TV also pressurise to make sure people get a good mix of players

Ferrero is French Open champion, he will be out pretty soon unfortuneately, so beofre they lose all the big names, they have to put him there.

ans
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:41 PM
if I remember it well, he won some tournament two weeks ago :p

bmxbandit
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM
he is the #3 seed, isn't he?

Frank_Rulez
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:47 PM
i know what u mean.......
coz i dont really care about
men's tennis either...:rolleyes:

Julian
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Well besides from winning the French Open the Brits know that since Juan Carlos is a spaniard they know that it's a plus to have Juan show up at Wimbledon anyway and decided to make him feel just like he's at home! :D jk ;)

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:14 PM
erhhh.. cos he played against Henman (who is british) at the FO and beat him?!?!?!

Crazy Canuck
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Ferrero will come out of Wimbledon number 2, at the least. And he's a slam champion.

Did you pose the same question for Kim? Who isn't even a slam champ and still got center? Over Venus?

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:31 PM
We all know the main courts are usually about 2 things:
1. Popularity
2. Ranking
Juan Carlos has the ranking, but I didn't know what is popularity in Britain was, and his past results on grass are less than stellar.

Rebecca - Well, Kim is the #2 seed, popular in Europe, and one of the contenders for the title. I was surprised that Venus was out on Court 2, though, and I did make a post about it ;)

treufreund
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:48 PM
They wanted to showcase JUSTINE and JUAN CARLOS as ROLAND GARROS CHAMPS playing at the same time on big courts. :D

Crazy Canuck
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:48 AM
We all know the main courts are usually about 2 things:
1. Popularity
2. Ranking
Juan Carlos has the ranking, but I didn't know what is popularity in Britain was, and his past results on grass are less than stellar.

Rebecca - Well, Kim is the #2 seed, popular in Europe, and one of the contenders for the title. I was surprised that Venus was out on Court 2, though, and I did make a post about it ;)
Glad to hear that you are being consistent then ;)

Ferrero is popular in Europe, is he not? Although I did notice that there were only about 5 people at his match, but decided to blame it on the Lizzard for producing a boring matchup.

It's worth noting that Ferrero has played every single of his Wimbledon matches (ever) on the two biggest courts. They treat him very well there... even in past years when his ranking didn't really call for it.

Scotso
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM
They do treat him well at Wimbledon. Most of the big name Spaniards never show up at Wimbledon, I guess they like to reward him for making the effort.

Lisbeth
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:24 AM
My guess would be that being ladies' day, they are kindly giving the ladies something nice to look at (and any interested gentlemen, of course!).

Scotso
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:26 AM
^ I like your reasoning.