PDA

View Full Version : How many players have done what Karolina Sprem did ?

GoDominique
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM
That is being directly into Main Draw (and winning a round) at the first slam she ever plays - and without getting a WC.

That's not too often the case, I suppose.

MartinaI
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
not sure, it is very impressive. Well done Karolina!

TS
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
I know...to think that she has never even played qualifying at a slam before...fantastic debut :)

To think that just a few months ago she was playing 10K's...amazing progress.

irma
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM
martina
cappy
monica

that are just three I am pretty sure about. there must have been more

malaye
I think Justine did it when she reached the second round at the French in 99 (and almost went on defeating Lindsay in the second ! )

Congrats Karolina.

Sandstorm
AMAZING KAROLINA!

Keep going,Karolina!

GoDominique
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I know...to think that she has never even played qualifying at a slam before...fantastic debut :)

To think that just a few months ago she was playing 10K's...amazing progress.
Yes, it's crazy. Some players spend years and years at GS qualifyings without ever getting out of them, and she just leaves them out. :D

Jordan.
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM
She's the next Steffi Graf I tell you!!!

:rolleyes:

irma
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:03 PM
steffi had to qualify for her first slam though and lost in the second round;)

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:05 PM
She's the next Steffi Graf I tell you!!!

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: Jealous much?

Jordan.
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM
:rolleyes: Jealous much?

Yep, thats it.

rikvanlooy
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I think Justine did it when she reached the second round at the French in 99 (and almost went on defeating Lindsay in the second ! )

Congrats Karolina.

Justine won the first tournament she entered.

Both Kim and Justine didn't have to play qual. before their first slam. They gained enough points in their first tournaments.

Justine won almost against Davenport in 1999 in her first slam (RG). She served for the match in the third. She choked and she lost the set with 7-5.

Kim played her first slam at Wimbledon 1999. She reached the fourth round after beating a top ten player (Coetzer). Then she lost against Graf.

Two years later (at the AO 2002) Kim had the chance of becoming the new number one. She had to win the AO in order to overtake Davenport. She lost against Capriati in the semifinal in three sets. She stayed number three.

Kim will be the new number one if she reaches the final of Wimbledon (only Venus can stop her reaching the final).

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Yep, thats it.
:wavey: Jordan.

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Yep, thats it.
Don't worry! She can't meet Vera in this tournament!

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Don't worry! She can't meet Vera in this tournament!
Sure she can... in the final! :)

Jordan.
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:38 PM
:angel:

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Both Kim and Justine didn't have to play qual. before their first slam. They gained enough points in their first tournaments.

You're wrong there. Kim did play Wimbledon qualies in '99. She'd played well her previous tournament, got a WC into the qualies, made it to the main draw, beat Amanda Coetzer, reached the 4th round where she lost to her idol Steffi.

JaneAgain
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM
The short list of players that have accomplished what Karolina has is a very impressive one. The fact that she had never played a match on grass before today makes it even more impressive. After the Vienna final, she joked that she was going to set up a net on a soccer field so that she could practice on grass.

Unbelievable that she is entered for qualies at Sopot and Helsinki. With her new ranking, she should soon be getting direct entry into tour events.

Congratuations to Karolina on winning her first GS match and good luck to her in the next round.