PDA

View Full Version : Dokic's attitude

smarties
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:11 PM
She always looks so disinterested, yet, she plays so many tourney!!!??? is she the male version of Kafelnikov and just doing it for the paycheck???

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Actually I think you struck a nail on the head, she acted just like Y-man today, but she seemed to happy to win, smiling, and pumping her chest!

oddkayla
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:19 PM
I think Jelena plays tennis for the money. I know everyone does, but she more so. The Y-man is actually a good comparison

Fyndh0rnElf
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:21 PM
She always looks so disinterested, yet, she plays so many tourney!!!??? is she the male version of Kafelnikov and just doing it for the paycheck???

The thing is pappa Damir claims she doesn't exist, which is always nice for her dauther, and that may have troubled her mind and game the last 6months. But she IS a fighter! Her attitude on court sometimes comes through as desinterested, but that's not true.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Her attitude today was awful when she served at 1-4 down in the seond set she just hit 4 clean unforced errors due to not having any patience she just gave another break away she didn't even care and then just gave up the set, and was slumping around the court.

Petersmiler
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
This has actually concerned me for a while. I remember when I first saw her play, the thing that impressed me most was her determination and drive, both of which seem to have escaped her at the moment! Fight girl or even the top twenty won't include you soon!

King Aaron
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:39 PM
You guys saw the match?
:mad: I didn't.

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:41 PM
This has actually concerned me for a while. I remember when I first saw her play, the thing that impressed me most was her determination and drive, both of which seem to have escaped her at the moment! Fight girl or even the top twenty won't include you soon!
I have to agree with you :(

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM
You guys saw the match?
:mad: I didn't.
Yeah! :D I finally able to see her match this year for first time! :)

King Aaron
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM
How did she play?

Pdm1987
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM
The commentators mentioned that she used to look as though she was having fun on the court and less fun off it, but now that seems to have been reversed!

SM
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:49 PM
i think after getting through that she will be fine for the rest of the tournament...atleast win a few more matches as per usual for her at wimby! :) very proud of the fact she bounced back up and dug deep at the end

ur right...at 1-4 down in set2 her attitude was SH!T...but i hope shes overcome that and believe she has.

Pdm1987
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:49 PM
How did she play?

Poorly! Although she did show a few signs of the old Jelena, as the BBC Commentators pointed out several times, but on the whole she played poorly, and if Elena had got more first serves in, in the 1st set she would have won it!!!

Fyndh0rnElf
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Well, sometimes she doesn't really care! that's true too. She has had matches when she starts well(6-1) loses a break in the second and gives up that set(1-6) and then comes back to win 6-0. Classics include the Conchita and Dementieva vs Dokic 3setters

Dokic vs Dementieva (AmIsland2002) 6-0 6-7 6-1 (on/off/on)

Dokic vs Conchita (Stanford2002) 1-6 6-0 6-1 (off/on)

Dokic vs Kournikova (San Diego02) 6-7 7-6 6-0 (off/on)

Dokic vs Serena x2 6-7 0-6 (gives up) (on/off)

Dokic vs Hingis (1st round 99Wimbledon) 6-2 6-0 (she was motivated)

Dokic vs Venus (Rome2000) 6-1 6-2 (on)

I don't think Hingis was ever thrashed so bad

King Aaron
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Poorly! Although she did show a few signs of the old Jelena, as the BBC Commentators pointed out several times, but on the whole she played poorly, and if Elena had got more first serves in, in the 1st set she would have won it!!!
Thanks. :)
No signs of new elements in her game? Just poor ball bashing?

bmxbandit
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Hingis was double bageled by Seles once...so what's not the worst trashing ever.

bmxbandit
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:05 PM
King Aron, her serve really impressed me, as it's the only thing that saved her. Placement was great, and she had so many unreturned serves. Also, she didn't quite go for winners as much. She was more patient, pushing the ball back with force, forcing the error from the opponent. I really think we can look forward to a great 2004 as she gains more and more confidence :)

Burberry
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM
She was lucky to win the match with such an attitude and performance..... mainly due to the inexperience from her opponent today...

If she keeps carrying this crappy attitude and play, simply bye bye Jelena in Top20 at the season end!!

King Aaron
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM
King Aron, her serve really impressed me, as it's the only thing that saved her. Placement was great, and she had so many unreturned serves. Also, she didn't quite go for winners as much. She was more patient, pushing the ball back with force, forcing the error from the opponent. I really think we can look forward to a great 2004 as she gains more and more confidence :)
Thanks. :) I'm kind of surprised the serve was her biggest weapon today. She struggles with her serve a lot and rushes it very much. She had 9 doublefaults today didn't she?

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:16 PM
It's hard to know with her; she has had so many personal problems, and I don't know how they affect her. I can see tennis being a great haven for her (like how Graf could always escape her personal life by getting on the court)...but obviously her personal life can be a distraction, too. It could be both of these things, too; she plays to escape her life, but that means she isn't dealing with it, and that affects her.

GrahamD
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:24 PM
She's miserable because she's stuck with sick and miserable supporters like Naldo who delights in abusing and insulting certain other players at every possible opportunity. Is there any wonder? How you lot tolerate his foul mouth is beyond me and it's hardly no surprise that Dokic shows so little interest when a small minority of her fans are a complete embarrassment to her. I should think she is thoroughly ashamed.

bmxbandit
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:25 PM
She's miserable because she's stuck with sick and miserable supporters like Naldo who delights in abusing and insulting certain other players at every possible opportunity. Is there any wonder? How you lot tolerate his foul mouth is beyond me and it's hardly no surprise that Dokic shows so little interest when a small minority of her fans are a complete embarrassment to her. I should think she is thoroughly ashamed.

life get?

Frank_Rulez
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM
i'm think the fatigue is finally kicking in............
it's not that hard to understand why......
she probably has realized her peak
has passed already, yes, as young as she is,
she'll probably never return to #4 in the world,
and she'll probably never win a Slam.....

as a former #4 and Tier I title holder,
it's not that hard to understand why
she has lost all the motivations,
maybe she does need to refresh herself or something

RAA
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:57 PM
poor thing, she has been through a lot in her life. and although I think she is better off without Damir, its very stressful to have that sort of rift with your father.

yes, I also think she has played too much recently. she is probably emotionally and physically tired.

well, she is in the second round at wimby, so lets see how she does from here...

Giuliano
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Hingis was double bageled by Seles once...so what's not the worst trashing ever.
I'm sorry? :o
She was double bagelled but it was against Pierce, wasn't it?

bmxbandit
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:06 PM
my bad, it was against pierce....and pierce was bageled by seles once wasn't she? damn, i got it all mixed up.

SuperG
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:12 PM

I am 19, already a millionair and life in Monaco.... Believe me, if i wouldnt love to play tennis, i would lay on a beach and enjoying the sun - Jelena Dokic herself, earlier this year!
:wavey:

vutt
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah ;)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39201000/jpg/_39201700_dokic_ap300x300.jpg
... very disinterested look ;)

Ok, ok. Her distant look style of game started I think early 2002. I remember Amelia Island match against Elena D - no emotion at all, but with that style of game she still produced lot of good matches up until USOpen02.

and look into her eyes - she still loves competition :)

jbone_0307
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Well, sometimes she doesn't really care! that's true too. She has had matches when she starts well(6-1) loses a break in the second and gives up that set(1-6) and then comes back to win 6-0. Classics include the Conchita and Dementieva vs Dokic 3setters

Dokic vs Dementieva (AmIsland2002) 6-0 6-7 6-1 (on/off/on)

Dokic vs Conchita (Stanford2002) 1-6 6-0 6-1 (off/on)

Dokic vs Kournikova (San Diego02) 6-7 7-6 6-0 (off/on)

Dokic vs Serena x2 6-7 0-6 (gives up) (on/off)

Dokic vs Venus (Rome2000) 6-1 6-2 (on)

I don't think Hingis was ever thrashed so bad

During the Dokic vs Dementieva match dementieva won the 1st set 0-6, and the outcome of the match was 0-6 7-6 6-1

lakeway11
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Hingis doubled-bageled Monica once and nearly again for twice in a row

lakeway11
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM

i remember of course that match well and it was much more a complete tank by Marti (her only one) which in my view was her nice way of saying to all her tennis detractors from the FO fiasco to go to hell

smarties
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:57 PM
I am 19, already a millionair and life in Monaco.... Believe me, if i wouldnt love to play tennis, i would lay on a beach and enjoying the sun - Jelena Dokic herself, earlier this year

She started so young that sadly, it's the only thing she knows to do. I think that yeah she enjoys playing tennis but she often comes across as otherwise. Maybe it's the way she plays also, like a tennis machine just hitting balls and going through the motions and the fact that she hasn't changed her game and doesn't seem motivated to reach the next level.

jd4eva
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Aaron: Jelena's serve technique has completely changed. It's a more abbreviated action and her first serve was stunning. Everytime Baltacha had a b/p opportunity Jelena would hit a great first serve and even some great second serves. That is the most positive part of today. She's added a little more topspin to her shots but she seems a little uncomfortable and often hits the ball a little long. But overall I think it's a decent change so far and the more matches she will get the better she will be

And I don't know if you guys saw the same Jelena I did. I saw the Jelena that pumped her first after winning every point in the first set. The Jelena who shouted c'mon when she got the advantage at 4-4 in the 3rd set or when she got to 00-30 on Bally's serve. Or the Jelena who pumped her first and pumped her heart when she won the match.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Well She learnt that from her best friend, Petrova

jd4eva
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Also Aaron, if you wanted to know, her serve resembles the Argentinians. Very compact.

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Also Aaron, if you wanted to know, her serve resembles the Argentinians. Very compact.
Excatly! :eek:

Norma2
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:27 AM
we're ashamed of u grahamdickhead!!! jelena probably has more fans on this website than any other player so keep ur dirty mouth shut.

i'm sure daniela hantuchova is really proud as having u as a fan. she probably doesn't give a rats arse. and i dont blame her@!!

~RedRose~
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Everyones saying that Jelena's serve has changed and is more abbreviated, but hasn't she always been like that. She has never had a full backswing when serving at least from when i can remember (maybe her early days) but last yr she did the same put the raquet in the air and swing routine.

stephano hair
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
u fukwits! just coz jelena isnt playing that well this year and plays a lot of tournies doesnt mean she is in it 4 the money-r u oblivious 2 the fact that she is doing it 4 THE FUCKEN PRACTICE?!

and there wuld not b a lot of money involved for a lot of early round exits so just shut ur trap!

jelena wants 2 win badly and is proved she is capable of top 5 or even top 3!

jd4eva
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Yoshie: As Alexsydney can attest too, her swing has changed. Hence why she's placing the ball a lot better. She doesn't bring the racquet down, it goes straight up, very much like Nalbandian

King Aaron
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Aaron: Jelena's serve technique has completely changed. It's a more abbreviated action and her first serve was stunning. Everytime Baltacha had a b/p opportunity Jelena would hit a great first serve and even some great second serves. That is the most positive part of today. She's added a little more topspin to her shots but she seems a little uncomfortable and often hits the ball a little long. But overall I think it's a decent change so far and the more matches she will get the better she will be

And I don't know if you guys saw the same Jelena I did. I saw the Jelena that pumped her first after winning every point in the first set. The Jelena who shouted c'mon when she got the advantage at 4-4 in the 3rd set or when she got to 00-30 on Bally's serve. Or the Jelena who pumped her first and pumped her heart when she won the match.

Thanks a lot Rosh. :)
I can imagine the 'new' serve. Is it also like Gonzalez's serve?