PDA

View Full Version : Will Seles Retire Now?

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM
She has fallen from the top ten. She is plagued with injuries. She may have to endure surgery. Do you see Monica retiring in the near future? She has to start building a life outside tennis despite loving it so much. Is that time now?

Mr. Man
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM
yes.

Cariaoke
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
unfortunately, I think so.

She'll try her best to get as much tennis out of her as she possibly can. It makes me so sad. :sad:

bwguy
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:21 PM
I think that if this current layoff to rest the foot and to have the laser treatments does not result in sufficient healing, she will announce her retirement by the end of this year. It pains me to say that because she is my favorite player by far, but Monica seems adamant that she will not have surgery to address the problem. She has her reasons for that decision and for a while I was second guessing her, but that's too easy to do for fans who don't have all the information. I'll support her whatever happens.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM
i think its coming...

williamsfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM
i hope so. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Mase
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Im afriad it may be... I just want her to do what makes her happy......... :-)

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:54 PM
.....we've have this thread already!
hope not

i was watchin her match against Capriati in Miami (I think) 2002, even though she lost (third set tie break), it was high quality and some of her shots were amazing....

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Well, she's stated time and time again that she does not want to have surgery. And who can blame her? I'd be a little apprehensive of being 'cut' again.

She's said time and time again that she will play as long as she enjoys it. If she's not in pain - she's won't go away.

She has built a life for herself outside of tennis. She's got varied interests, smart money management, and clear goals on her post-tennis life.

She's also said that her ultimate goal is the 04 Athens Olympics. So, if her foot is ok, expect to see her there.

She has really nothing to defend the first 1/2 of 2004 so she can really boom her ranking up and make the Top 4 USA and get appointed to the team. I do not, however, see her playing after that.

I think that could be her swansong. That's the event she wants most, she has said.

selesrules
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Agassi is still playing at 33 and doing very well. Monica still has some great years ahead of her, the only problem is her injuries, but if she's healthy of course she will be back to the top 10 and be a contender for all titles. :rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Agassi is still playing at 33 and doing very well. Monica still has some great years ahead of her, the only problem is her injuries, but if she's healthy of course she will be back to the top 10 and be a contender for all titles. :rolleyes:

if shes injured (foot) and needs surgery and won't have surgery I do not see how she can enjoy playing. Its not about age its about how your body holds up and what you do to keep in running.

bwguy
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
She's also said that her ultimate goal is the 04 Athens Olympics. So, if her foot is ok, expect to see her there.

She has really nothing to defend the first 1/2 of 2004 so she can really boom her ranking up and make the Top 4 USA and get appointed to the team. I do not, however, see her playing after that.

I think that could be her swansong. That's the event she wants most, she has said.

Seles, do you know how long ago it was that Monica made that statement about the goal being the Olympics? Was that before or after this most recent setback? I know she would dearly love to be able to represent her country, but I wonder if this new free-fall down the rankings (notwithstanding the potential for a productive early 2004) , combined with the abundance of highly-ranked US players, will make her see that goal as unrealistic.

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Late 2002 - around/after the US Open

bwguy
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks. I'd love to see her have a goal to keep her motivated through this.

harloo
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM
I like Monica, but I do think it's time for her to hang up her racquets. She is so injury prone and it's affecting her body and training it seems. Maybe leaving the game would be the best for her. She has nothing more to prove, she has won 9 slams. And with todays current players her chances to win another one are slim to none. Just a different era IMO.

Dawn Marie
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM
"Agassi is still playing at 33 and doing very well. Monica still has some great years ahead of her, the only problem is her injuries, but if she's healthy of course she will be back to the top 10 and be a contender for all titles".

Agassi got in the best shape of his life something Monica has not yet done. This is a huge difference.

Anyway if Monica doesn't get the surgery or get 100% fit then I think it's time to retire. If she got in the best posssible fitness it will help her keep up the stamina on the court and it will help her with her injuries.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Well, she's stated time and time again that she does not want to have surgery. And who can blame her? I'd be a little apprehensive of being 'cut' again.

She's said time and time again that she will play as long as she enjoys it. If she's not in pain - she's won't go away.

She has built a life for herself outside of tennis. She's got varied interests, smart money management, and clear goals on her post-tennis life.

seles, only the top 3 players play singles. the 4th is the doubles player to play with one of the singles players. so assume williams williams is the doubles and singles team, and then you have davenport, capriati and rubin for seles to pass to make it to the olympics. i just don't see it.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM

monica hasn't been a contender for all titles for years now.

And the example of agassi is not apt. agassi is in amazing SHAPE. monica is not. agassi's body has not broken down on him. monica's has.

Kart
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Contrary to what some may believe, her stress fracture would heal if she rested long enough, without the need for surgery.

Monica may retire soon, she may not.

Either way she's nothing to prove.

She's still my fave :hearts:.

AjdeNate!
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Contrary to what some may believe, her stress fracture would heal if she rested long enough, without the need for surgery.

Monica may retire soon, she may not.

Either way she's nothing to prove.

She's still my fave :hearts:.
You've pretty much said it all just like it is!!! :)
:wavey:

Volcana
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Rest and time may heal the foot, but that just deals with the fracture. What about the stress?

If Monica returns at the same weight and fitness as when she got hurt, the foot will be subjected to the same stresses that fractured it in the first place. And if she's resting the foot, she's can't be training on it, so when she starts training on it, she'll be physically weaker than she is now. Which is to say, joints and bones will be under more stress, since there's less muscle to 'take up the slack'.

Am I saying Monica's done?

Look at the condition Lindsay was in when she came back this year. She took off 30 pounds easy, and looked hot! And she was moving better than she had since 1999.

Nothing is stopping Monica from doing the same.
Nothing CAN stop Monica from doing the same.

Except Monica.

Does she love tennis enough to lose the weight necessary to play it while staying uninjured?

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:53 PM
KL- since when hasnt monica been a conetender for titles? i dont get it. i mean maybe not top 2 for every tournament down the stretch, but she was playing amazing tennis early on this year in hong kong and in australia... and then the injuries. she even made it to the final of a tier 1 while injured, then in the next tournament beat a top 10 player and had a match point in the final to beat justine... so she wasn't contending?

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM
KL- since when hasnt monica been a conetender for titles? i dont get it. i mean maybe not top 2 for every tournament down the stretch, but she was playing amazing tennis early on this year in hong kong and in australia... and then the injuries. she even made it to the final of a tier 1 while injured, then in the next tournament beat a top 10 player and had a match point in the final to beat justine... so she wasn't contending?

not for titles, for ALL titles.

i haven't considered her a major title contender since 1999. after that year, it dawned on me that she wasn't ever going get in good enough shape or beat the players ahead of her when it counted. that's all i meant. surely, she is a contender for everything else, and has won a few titles in the last few years to prove that.

ktwtennis
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:43 AM
I say she'll give playing one more go this year, and if there continues to be pain, then I say she'll stop, unfortunately...

R&J
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Who knows what Monica's going to do. She might not even know yet. But one things for sure - She could definately have this surgery and fight her way back up the rankings next year. I believe that. She is that good. But does she believe that - Does she want to do that?
I wish she would have the surgery - if she doesnt then she could be taking that chance that even after she retires, she could be having problems just playing some friendly recreation tennis down at the club! Why take that chance - she has said she loves tennis and wants to play the game even after she retires. Then have the surgery - see if you miss the game during recovery - see if your excited about coming back. If not - then let it go.
But dont take the chance of this foot injury, stopping even future tennis for fun.

tennisjam
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:14 AM
I would just like her to retire after some amazing win...

Go Monica !!!!! :bounce:

Penne1
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Is this the same stress fracture that she has had problems with for about 3-4 years now??

I know there is surgery you can have where they inject an artificial bone protein into the fracture but it is like a last resort....laser surgery sounds like it would be something different??

ktwtennis
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Well, she's going to play Fed Cup! http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=8992&bannerregion=