PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic def E. Baltacha 6-3 1-6 6-4

jbone_0307
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Im sooooo happy she won a match. The whole 1st set was televised and it looked like a pretty interest matchup. Dokic was bitchslapping the ball everywhere. Also dokics serve was a weapon with 7 aces. Congrats to Jelena and good luck in the next round.!!!!!!! :) :) :) :0

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM
I finally see her match of the year for first time!! :bounce:

I'm so happy that she won!! :D

snoop
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: a big relief :) :) :)

Nemesis
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Well done Jelena! She served well today, the rest was soso ...

Iconoclast
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM
No "Ballymania" this year. Good for Jelena, though. Would have been very painful to lose this one. But she's still ripe to bow out any time.

Fantastic
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Jelena really made tough work of a Wildcarded player, but thank God she made it in the end. Here's hoping she puts on a more convincing display in the next round. Play the only way you know how Jelena! Kill! Kill! Kill!

~RedRose~
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Dokic won 6-3 1-6 6-4 .... all credit to Elena .... she was really hitting those balls without any nervousness and really keeping in the rallies with Dokic.
In the first set it was v.close until Jelena got on and Elena was a little off. The set was close until 2-2 (I mean those first 4 games took a while). Dokic looked set to take the second pretty easily too, but was broken at 1-2 for Elena to go up 3-1.
Dokic was down 0-40 at 1-3 and came back to Ad-40 and had an easy shot but ue'd it. She then gave the next two games away.
Dokic seemed to give up when down 1-4 in the second, which was v.dissapointing. Nothing like the Jelena we used to know.
The third set was v.exciting and v.close. at 3-3 the next 2 games were won to love or so and went by in like 3 mins. but 4-4 game was v.long and Baltacha played brilliant. Dokic didn't give Elena any points to go up 5-4 though but Baltacha saved numerous game points. It was dissapointing that Elena's serve decided to go at 4-5 down in the final set, but still a v.impressive match by Baltacha.
Jelena I think will take confidence from this win, to fight to take it in the end. In the last game there were numerous "C'mons!!" and when she won she pumped her fist to her heart, which is a good sign. I hope we see that fighting spirit back soon!

~RedRose~
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Congrats Jelena!!!

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:19 PM
:sad:

Pdm1987
In my opinion she looked disinterested throughout the entire match! And really only upped her level of play when leading 5-4 in the 3rd, and otherwise there was not much to choose between them ;)
Dokic should get to the 3rd Round, but if sh plays like she did today, then she'll get no further!

Jordan.
:bounce:

~RedRose~
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:21 PM
In my opinion she looked disinterested throughout the entire match! And really only upped her lavel of play when leading 5-4 in the 3rd, and otherwise there was not much to choose between them ;)
Dokic should get to the 3rd Round, but if sh plays like she did today, then she'll get no further!

I agree, she sorta seemed like she didnt want to be there. I think though it was because she kept giving up her chances when she was down. I hope we see the good spirit in the next match.

Pdm1987
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
When she knew that she could win, that's when you started to hear the "C'mon" but especially during the 2nd set & start of the 3rd she looked as though she wanted to be somewhere else! And also Bally was a bit annoyed by some line-calls and she always went for it, but she should have just of kept the ball in court instead of whacking it miles behind the baseline on Jelena's 2nd serve! And if she had been able to get in a higher percentage of first serves during the first set, she could have won it!

Norma2
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I thought jelena's 1st serve was what kept her hope up 2day, and even her 2nd serve did very well at 4-4 in the 3rd set. As the comentators said, it was jelena's experience that decided it. at 5-4 jelena knew that she must play consistently, and just kept pounding the ball back keeping pressure on baltacha.. But Jelena's volleys are horrible!!! i dunno what she learnt from Gunthardt the past year, but she doesnt like to be there and it shows!!! But i must say Elena played very aggressively and better than her ranking says (although i think the british crowd helped her a bit).

Jelena is starting to think less about making winners and more about playing consistently. I was suprised that she didnt go for as many winners, only when she had too!! I think thats one thing that her new coach has helped her with. But the most sad thing is that she really lacks confidence!! it looked as if she had been in these situations too many times b4 and she couldnt handle it. But she ended up doing it so congats

please play better in the 2nd round

GrahamD
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:44 PM
In my opinion she looked disinterested throughout the entire match!

Absolutely agree. And she was completely disinterested at Eastbourne too. She was a complete misery all week, didn't speak to any of her fans and didn't want to talk to anyone, have her photos taken, give out autographs. The way she played against Obata was nothing short of a disgraceful embarassment.

Is there any wonder when she has fans like Naldo who must be a complete embarassment to her. She must feel thoroughly ashamed to have someone like him/her who finds deep satisfaction in abusing and insulting certain other professional tennis players.

Like quite a few players, I'm fairly certain they read these boards, she must feel completely sick and tired to have someone so thoroughly dispicable as Naldo as one of her fans. You should take at look at how your own fave is doing before you ever think about slagging off others again. :fiery:

Cariaoke
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:45 PM
this is shocking? If she didn't win, I'd be shocked. Jeca loves grass, no? :)

Curtis F
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Jelly! :bounce: To the quarters! :angel:

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Terrible match from Jelena, just could not serve, probably had no idea where it was going, but as a consequence neither need Elena, who played a good solid match. Jecca will have it tough against Manu in the next round.

Norma2
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
i disagree with you there. i think jelenas serve was the best part of her game. elena was having all sorts of trouble returning it!!!

SM
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM
imo jelena played so-so in the first and last sets, where her serve held-up and she seemed to be alot more patient in most rallies..

the second set sucked. jelena looked like she totally tanked after she went down the break and failed to break-back on the game point for 2-3, instead going down 1-4...she seemed to look like she wasnt enjoying herself at all, and didnt wanna be there which is shocking seeing she used to be such a fighter!!

however...in the 3rd set jelena looked VERY determined IMO! she kept on pumpin her fist and had some spring in her step after winning some of those games...she pumped her fist on her heart at the end signifying the big mental battle she went through to win the 3rd and the fact she still has that fighting spirit...

after that match jelena will take ALOT out of it...much more than if she won easily IMO and her next opponents better beware

King Aaron
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all your opinions on the match. Really needed it since I wasn't able to watch it.

tommystar
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Very poor Baltacha, she'd deserve against this big loser. :(

Fyndh0rnElf
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:08 PM
You mean loser?

SJW
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Jeca Jeca Jeca :hearts:

i wanted to see this, but u know, British Gal, it was FULL :(

tommystar
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:30 PM
You mean loser?
yeah.

Monica_Rules
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Dokic didnt really play that well untill the third set.

Bally made some really bad errors at crucial points!

But itd good to see Bally fighting.I hope this liver biopsy shows shes ok and maybe she needs a few weeks rest then kick ass after US open!

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:33 PM
has Dokic done something to her serve? Her motion looks even more awkward now...

Dokic just didn't look good out there, there was no confidence, hope she picks some up in the next round... If Baltacha had won the game at 4-4 in the final set, I'm sure Bally would have had the match in her bag... if onyl she cut down on the errors!

As for Dokic, she really need to do something to get out of ther slump....

Norma2
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Most of the errors elena hit in the match were forced, she didnt have much control over them. And the statistics say the same thing. SHe hit less UE than Dokic, but dokic's flat penetrating shots really got elena into trouble at some points....and thats when u saw some eratic shots