PDA

View Full Version : British girls: my thoughts

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I've watched some of them play now.
Baltacha is really really impressive and she can keep up with Dokic so well, she has a great serve and her worst asset is probably her return, which kind of sucks.
I was least impressed with Keothavong, who was clearly a bit sick against Srebotnik, but still, she couldn't keep anything in the court.
Lucie Ahl was kind of good too, but I thought she was a serve and volley chick.
What are your thoughts on them and what is Julie Pullin like?
My top right now:

1. Baltacha
2. Ahl
3. Keothavong

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Baltacha just broke Dokic, I wouldn't be surprised if this was an upset really, although both girls are making so many errors.

Rtael
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM
pfft....and Baltacha gives Dokic the next two games...

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:47 AM
3 next games... :rolleyes:

kournikovafan13
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Pullin plays a bit more crafty like, she likes to use the one-handed slice a lot and she's a lefty so she's got a good serve and a powerful topspin forehand. But she's in a massive slump right now.

Keothavong is much better than what she put on yesterday, she really has a good backhand and good groundstrokes, I think she's definately top 100 material.

I thought Ahl was pretty good, but she makes too many errors when on the move. She hits a good ball though.

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Dokic - Baltacha 6-3 1-5

~RedRose~
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Dokic won 6-3 1-6 6-4 .... but all credit to Elena .... she was really hitting those balls without any nervousness and really keeping in the rallies with Dokic.
Dokic seemed to give up when down 1-4 in the second, which was v.dissapointing. she was down 0-40 and 1-3 and came back to Ad-40 and had an easy shot and ue'd it. She then gave the next two games away.
The third set was v.exciting and v.close. at 3-3 the next 2 games were won to love or so and went by in like 3 mins. but 4-4 game was v.long and Baltacha played brilliant. Dokic didn't give Elena any points to go up 5-4 though but Baltacha saved numerous game points. It was dissapointing that Elena's serve decided to go at 4-5 down in the final set, but still a v.impressive match by Baltacha.
Jelena I think will take confidence from this win, to fight to take it in the end. In the last game there were numerous "C'mons!!" and when she won she pumped her fist to her heart, which is a good sign. I hope we see that fighting spirit back soon! :)

Pdm1987
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I just hope that Jane can beat Weingartner, because Julie hasn't get a hope in hell!!!! I saw Julie play Seqeura at Birmingham, and she was appauling. I hope that after her tests next week, Bally can start to get her career back on track and move into the top 100 (at least), where she belongs!!!