PDA

View Full Version : Has Stosur got what it takes to be a top 10 player?

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:10 AM
discuss

Lisbeth
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:33 AM
I can't make that prediction on only one match, but she did acquit herself very well against Lindsay.

LeonHart
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:34 AM
I saw two points..and she played like crap, so no :p

stephano hair
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:37 AM
she definately will! she was caning davy yesterday until the last two or three games! she's got good groundstrokes and reminds me of zvonareva :D

SM
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:43 AM
no i dont think so. she could be top 50 for sure tho..

i thought lindsay played crap compared to her normal standard and she looked sluggish..sam took advantage of that with some good serving and moving lindsay around cos she wasnt moving that well

i think sams fh is a bit too extreme and prone to errors...the production didnt look that clean IMO and zvonareva times and hits it way cleaner...the only thing in common is the western fh conducive to lots of topspin

good effort from sam...maybe they should consider her over nicole pratt for fed cup

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:51 AM
SM, not even in the future?

1jackson2001
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Players who give the top players a good run for the money for one match always seem to get asked this question, eh?

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:01 AM
1jackson2001, stosur is young and she has a great game and she gave hantuchova a tough match at the oz open this year. it is only her first full year on thr tour. it'd not just one match. she reached the 3rd round at oz open this year and took stevenson to 3 tough tight sets in memphis.

bis2806
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:22 AM
i think Lindsay's foot was injured and maybe that's why Stosur was able to take advantage....

Mattographer
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:24 AM
took stevenson to 3 tough tight sets in memphis.
She has a match point at that match :sad:

E. Blackadder
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Stop asking everyone who plays a decent match if she has chances to make top10 :rolleyes:

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:30 AM
she beat martinez at the oz open and has given hantuchova, stevenson and davenport all tough matches that is not just one match.

E. Blackadder
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Yeah Els nearly beat Serena last year in Wimbledon, give her her toughest match in a long time, nearly beat Hantuchova in Antwerp an has a win over Sanchez-Vicario in 1997 on clay, but that aint gonna bring her into top10. You need to have those results consistently. I'm not saying Stosur can't do it, but it'll require a lot of effort and training

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:36 AM
this is stosur's first year on the tour. she played a couple of events last year but this year is her first year on the tour plus she is young. els is old so has less time to improve plus she doesn't have the type of game that stosur has. stosur is early in her career while callens was over half way through it. how can you say her results aren't consistent? if this time in 2 years she hasn't accomplished anymore then you can say she doesn't have a chance but sam is challenging the top players whether you like it or not. she hasn't had the chance to play them anymore than she has so you can't say she's inconsistent.

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:40 AM
i'm not saying she won't be top 10 and i'm not saying she will be. but i said 'discuss' which means you discuss her game and what she's done so far and how she can improve. those sort of things need to bee said. i think it is unfair to say a player has no chance in reaching the top 10 in their career when they are on their frist full time year and they have actually challenged every top 10 player she has faced this season in at least on of the sets.

controlfreak
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:34 AM
I think SS needs to work on her image :cool:

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM
There are so many girls out there that people think of are top 10 material.
There's only room for 10 up there, and something tells me the Williams and the Belgians won't just fade away either.
So NO, Stosur won't be in the top 10 very soon.

kournikovafan13
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:28 PM
she beat martinez at the oz open and has given hantuchova, stevenson and davenport all tough matches that is not just one match.

Stop saying she gave Daniela a tough match because she didn't :rolleyes: Dani won 6-4, 6-2. And Stevenson is NOT someone you can brag about beating, because so many players have.

I agree with Bram, be realistic here, there is only room for 10 players in the top 10, could you actually see Samantha's name up there? :rolleyes:

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM
yes! her game is good all round, she just needs experience and some fine tuning one some shots. she may not be a regular top 10 but i think she can get there. with her game i think in the future she will do really well at wimbledon and will work around that. she isn't to bad on rebound ace either.