PDA

View Full Version : Wertheim on Kim's niceness

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:09 AM
A trivial note concerning Kim Clijsters' "niceness": I noticed at the French that when her service game ends on a first-serve point and the players change ends, Clijsters doesn't hit the second ball away to a ballkid -- she walks over and hands it to him or her. I have never seen this before.
—Jim Bartle, Huaraz, Peru

Thanks. We could fill an entire Mailbag with examples of Clijsters' grace and charm. Just too bad those qualities can be antithetical to success in an individual sport.

moby
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Werthiem cant seem to say anything nice without dissing the subject of discussion in the same line :rolleyes:

BasicTennis
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Kim has only shown to the world that not all tennis players are assholes like Weirthem.:worship:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Kim's my favorite player. And I have always thought she was too nice. It's good to be nice, but EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY?! Meanie up Kim, meanie up. I think she needs a more fighting, and KILL! KILL! spirit... but I guess she showed that today after Lleyton's loss. She needs to be like that more-- KILL! KILL!

BasicTennis
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:44 AM
I don't care if she kills Lleyton first.:worship:

Lisbeth
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:14 AM
and in Australian Tennis magazine, there was a little comment by Justine that Kim had put up a special drawing in the locker room so that everyone would know/remember to say Happy Birthday to Justine. She's just naturally nice. I hope it doesn't mean she has no killer instinct - she seemed to back at RG 2001!

oddkayla
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:41 AM
I have come to the realisation that Kim lacks the killer instinct when the stakes are highest. Aussie Open and Roland Garros were prime examples. She needs to work on her mentality to get meaner. She will be nice off the court, just like Lindsay who is apparently nice, but used to go on b***h mode when she played high stakes match and came out on top! It did not mean she wasn't nice, but boy was her tennis ruthless!

salima
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:51 AM
We could fill an entire Mailbag with examples of Clijsters' grace and charm. Just too bad those qualities can be antithetical to success in an individual sport.

Rubbish. It is a question of turning on and off. The will ot win must not be confused with agression. If you can stay focused on what you need to do to win while you are playing you have hit a winner.
swedens Olympic skiing champion Thomas Wassberg was the toughest, meanest, most determined man I ever have seen or met in a competition. Privat he was, and still are a very friendly, helpfull gentleman :)

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Kim claims she puts all that aside when she's on court, then she wants to win. Kim admitted yesterday that she felt a bit guilty about the 6-0 6-0 score because she often plays with Rosanna's daughter.

I'm sure Kim can be as angry as everyone else.

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:21 AM
I totally agree with the last two posts.

And I'll append what I said elsewhere: if she loses a few tournaments because of being too nice, I won't care. In the end, what she'll have won will far outstrip a few lost tennismatches...

If she'd ever became ruthless and unkind, however, I'd go looking for another player to support :o .

rikvanlooy
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I totally agree with the last two posts.

And I'll append what I said elsewhere: if she loses a few tournaments because of being too nice, I won't care. In the end, what she'll have won will far outstrip a few lost tennismatches...

If she'd ever became ruthless and unkind, however, I'd go looking for another player to support :o .

She is ruthless against lesser players. Nobody comes close to Kim at disposing of players (time and games). She almost broke the record of Graf at the beginning of the year for the quickest win. At the end of her career no other player will have have so many quick wins as Kim.

I dont know what the record is for the most double bagles, but I suspect that Kim will have the record at the end of her career.

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:10 AM
She is ruthless against lesser players. Nobody comes close to Kim at disposing of players (time and games). She almost broke the record of Graf at the beginning of the year for the quickest win. At the end of her career no other player will have have so many quick wins as Kim.

I dont know what the record is for the most double bagles, but I suspect that Kim will have the record at the end of her career.
Salima: "The will to win must not be confused with agression"
Beggin' Beguine: "Kim claims she puts all that aside when she's on court, then she wants to win."
Lynx: "I totally agree with the last two posts."

What was being suggested by Wertheim was that being a nice person off court - or being nice to ballkids! - is not compatible with succes in an inividual sport. I refuse to believe that.

I would drop Kim if she would stop being nice off court out of some ruthless ambition. If she would begin badmouthing her opponents, for instance, or treating ballkids like non-persons, or not feeling guilty after beating the mother of the kid she so often plays with - or stop playing with the kid altogether. Then I'd go shopping for another player to support.

But I'm quite confident I'll never have to - not as long as she plays, anyway. :)

irma
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:14 AM
kim should stay herself and I am not worried anymore about her will after she said yesterday I do anything to win titles so I can't have regrets. that means it's oke. she can't do more and I am sure she would not say it when she didn't mean it

Fyndh0rnElf
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Kim Clijsters is not my favourite player, but she is the nicest player on tour ever. When she lost to Serena in the semisAO, she just praised Serena's effort and determination, while every other player would start bitching at something and say I lost the match, she didn't win it! In the french final she was also making compliments to Henin's match, when the reality is Henin almost didn't have to do anything to win it.

She has lots of sportmanship she is friends with everyone. Dokic had to withdraw about 5-7times in 2002. 1 of those was against Clijsters, then Dokic started crying because she was hurt and Clijsters just went over there and stood all along supporting Dokic(giving her a few kisses too). Dokic also retired against Capriati, hurt 1more time, and Capriati just had a huge smile like she had won a great match and didn't even care about her opponent 'cause she was too excited to get through(she had lost to Dokic the previous match)

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Kim plays with de los Rios' daughter? How old is the girl...and how does Kim have time to be friends with all these people??

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:05 PM
lol. :D

nicky
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Kim plays with de los Rios' daughter? How old is the girl...

I think she's around 5 years old...she was sitting behind Evelyne Coppens during the match

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Heya, Joy :) :wavey:.

I take it you don't like Lleyton, then? :p

I'm sure he can't be as bad as people say he is, or Kim wouldn't love him so much. ;) It's gonna be 3 yrs they're together, you know :eek:.

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:21 PM
une apostrophe rose sur la phrase "je t'aime".

Wow :).

bandabou
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:30 PM
But the thing with Kim is that she is SO nice, that's almost like she doesn't have a KILLER instinct....look at the Rosmalen final. Bunch of setpoints she goes on a dropshot tear!

And like the saying goes: Nice people don't win!

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I'm sure he can't be as bad as people say he is, or Kim wouldn't love him so much. ;)

Exactly! I'm sure there's a lot about Lleyton we don't know. And the people in Bree, Kim's hometown, insist that Lleyton's very down to earth.

Hawk
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Kim claims she puts all that aside when she's on court, then she wants to win. Kim admitted yesterday that she felt a bit guilty about the 6-0 6-0 score because she often plays with Rosanna's daughter.

I'm sure Kim can be as angry as everyone else.

Sorry I just pummeled your mommy :o

jenglisbe, Kim pretty much plays with everyone's child..she loves children so it's not really suprising.

Julian
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:02 PM
It's amazing how much time Kim spends with Lleyton yet never picks up his habits. ;) I guess once a classy person ALWAYS a classy person. :)

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:08 PM
I can take the potato or peel him- doesn't matter to me :p And yes, he must be nice in the bedroom for our girl to be with him after all those years :D

yeah, Lynx- i was feeling terribly romantic and trying out my french in the meantime :)
LOL bajangirlie. :D Romantic AND trying out your French? :eek: :p

Ah, ma chère Joie-de-vivre - vous avez composé cette signature vous-même? Ouh- la- là! :D :)

Like you said in the Richard thread: people who think Richard is arrogant don't know him from Adam. Cause if you get to see a little more of him he seems a great guy, funny and kind. :)

And like Beggin' Beguine says here: we fans only see a hard-fighting, competitive Lleyton... from the reports of Kim's hometown he's rather shy and friendly...

Nous ne voyons que la façade, n'est-ce pas? :p

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Sorry I just pummeled your mommy :o

jenglisbe, Kim pretty much plays with everyone's child..she loves children so it's not really suprising.
LMAO. :D :o

Eerrr, @ Nicky & Hawk - I thought Jenglisbe was joking, meaning: "how old is that girl that Kim plays tennis with her already?" Since you two took Jenglis' question seriously, I guess I was wrong. :o

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:20 PM
oui, oui- je suis d'accord ;)
Tsss, t'es une petite méchante, tu sais! :p

Being selective with what you put in bold http://websmileys.bei.t-online.de/div287.gif :D

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:30 PM
LOL :D.

So you DID write it yourself. Congrats - didn't know you were a poet :).

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM
aah, many hidden talents Lynx, many, many :D

We should get a private room aka PM- you do owe me one-j/k-please you don't have to send me one, i have no time for chapter and verse :p ;) ), oui. Wait til the thread starter gets back and finds this-lol
Hidden talents - and many, many too... :drool: :lick:.
I want to discover them all. I will discover them all :o :p.
Tu ne veut pas flirter avec moi :sad: :sad: :sad:?

Yeah, Joy, I know I'm behind. But you're not the only woman in my virtual life, you know. :cool: :cocky: *tosses head*. And I'm behind with all the others too :sad:.

Don't mind the thread starter - s/he's a Lounger :cool:.

BTW: sorry for my late reply, but I was thrown from the site + Justine's match is on tv right now. Gonna watch it for a bit.

See & PM you later :wavey: :kiss:

EDIT: Well - the match is over. Second set was a walk-over in comparison with the first.

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Kim on BBC right now, visiting a children's hospital.

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Kim on BBC right now, visiting a children's hospital.
Damn! Does she ever stop? She is almost too good to be true...

veryborednow
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I was just about to say that.

She's so lovely! aw!

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Hey, at least they stopped talking about Henman for 10 minutes.

veryborednow
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Yeah, Sue Barker was taking a breath.
Something Tracy Austin apparently doesn't. Does she ever stop. Boring woman.

Tim doesn't piss me off this year cos I have interactive, baby.

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Tim doesn't piss me off this year cos I have interactive, baby.

Great, all the Brits are spared of Tim and the foreigners who care the least about him are forced to hear about him every minute of the day. Life's not fair.

veryborednow
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM
You don't have to pay the license fees.

Not only do I have to not watch Tim, I can watch 4 other matches.

There. Just had to rub it in.

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
There. Just had to rub it in.

Didn't expect anything else from you :fiery:

veryborednow
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:19 PM
hmmmm.

I think I'll go watch Elena Bovina's match, let you calm down a bit ;):p

gentenaire
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:20 PM
*gives Rom a very friendly gentle slap with a chainsaw*

lakeway11
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:43 PM
hope Kimmy doesn't get sick from visiting all those hospitals b/c there are so many diseases running rampant in them...

veryborednow
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:36 PM
lakeway11 - could you be anymore fucking insensitive. She was in the cardiac wards. Jaysus.

*gives Rom a very friendly gentle slap with a chainsaw*
ow. Now my hairs ruined. Thank you very much *huff*

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:43 AM
And back to the topic- I will go out on a limb and say that Kim will either have plenty of little potatoes or she will do work with kids when she's done with tennis...in every city she goes to, she's at a hospital for kids..gotta love it :)

Tater tots :D ;)

jenny161185
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Kims so friendly and nice and very GRACIOUS in defeat and can still fight hard in a tough match - youdont see that among many of the players

Lynx
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM
I'm not too thrilled about that to say the least :D and you wonder why i don't want to continue this public show of affection- next thing you know, i'll be getting bad reps from your other virtual women for no reason, I'm sure a few of them are in this said thread, *coughs*, Tine *ahem* ;)
.../...
And back to the topic- I will go out on a limb and say that Kim will either have plenty of little potatoes or she will do work with kids when she's done with tennis...in every city she goes to, she's at a hospital for kids..gotta love it :)
LMAO. :D --- Well, there's being honest to a woman for ya - it never pays. :( :p As if you are such a one-man woman, pah! :mad:

Nope, not Tine, I'm sad to say. Not that I didn't try - but she's keeping me at arm's length :sad:. A beautiful arm, mind, but long, too :sad:. And hey - those women are not "mine" - I wish! And they're all classy and broadminded (hear that, ladies? :angel: ) : they're not gonna bad-rep you. :)

Back to topic, indeedy (safer!).

Yup, Kimmie is always in for that, visiting kids' hospitals everywhere.
I sometimes wonder how it's organized, though. Yesterday she wrote in her diary "I have some things to do for the WTA, then back to the hotel" - so I suppose those "things for the WTA" had to do with her visiting that hospital. Do you suppose the WTA has a list players can pick from, like:

"Ok, ladies, we still have 3 hospitals, here - 1 for kids - 2 shelters for the homeless, 1 home for the elderly and 1 soupkitchen. Who wants to do what? Yes, Miss Claystars? The kids for you again. So noted. Miss Hantoo*cough*va, what would you think of that soupkitchen? No? Are you sure, dear?" :o

gentenaire
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
LOL Lynxie!

nicky
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Do you suppose the WTA has a list players can pick from, like:

"Ok, ladies, we still have 3 hospitals, here - 1 for kids - 2 shelters for the homeless, 1 home for the elderly and 1 soupkitchen. Who wants to do what? Yes, Miss Claystars? The kids for you again. So noted. Miss Hantoo*cough*va, what would you think of that soupkitchen? No? Are you sure, dear?" :o

LOL :D

Diya
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Why do most people want players to pretend to be someone they are not ? I like Monica, Jennifer and Kim just the way they are ......The genuineness that comes across from their behaviour is heart-warming.Pretending "angels" really put me off .

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:09 PM
When has Jennifer ever been genuine and heart-warming? Is it when she is cussing at the umpires or when she is complaining about spectators? I guess she is genuinely irritable...

gentenaire
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:11 PM
When has Jennifer ever been genuine and heart-warming? Is it when she is cussing at the umpires or when she is complaining about spectators? I guess she is genuinely irritable...

It's when she's been very nice to the fans off court.

Lynx
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Elke (this is her post (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?postid=2069734&postcount=18) in the Classy Clijsters Lounge):

There was this cute part in BvL* today, about Kim's merchandising line. The 'earnings' go to charity, Kim choses them herself.
She donates every year 75 000 Euros to organisations. Last year, she bought uniforms for 7 sportclubs of disabled people.
Elke, I hope you don't mind me posting this here. Since Jenglisbe started two similar threads - this one, and the one in the CCL - I thought this post belonged here too. :)

I have already seen some sarcastic comments about the Clijsters' merchandising line :rolleyes:. So it's not unimportant that everybody knows why such a line was started. :)

---------------------
* BvL = "Belang van Limburg", a Flemish newspaper.