PDA

View Full Version : Davenport praises Stosur, Evie has a 'shocker' and Nicole going back to Challengers?!

TS
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:37 AM
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/ta/talatestnews.nsf/WebMainFront30days/4EC4A27872703274CA256D4F00047B0C

Stosur has best serve - Davenport
Tuesday, 24 June, 2003

LONDON, June 23 AAP - Fifth seed Lindsay Davenport today rated Australian Samantha Stosur as one of the best servers on the women's tour after beating the wild card in their first round match at Wimbledon. Davenport, the world number five, won in straight sets 7-6 (7-3) 7-5 but was pushed hard by the 19-year-old, who made it to the third round of the Australian Open in January.

Stosur, ranked 141st, frustrated Davenport's attempts to find a rhythm on the grass and the American admitted it was not the kind of match she had hoped for in the first round. "She served exceptional," Davenport said.

"It's tough on grass when you're trying to build some momentum. In women's tennis we don't have that many big servers, like they do in men's tennis.
"I would rather have had a better match, hitting more ground strokes, instead of the one-two rallies we were having."

The Gold Coast teenager was full of confidence despite the loss and said she knew what she had to work on to achieve her goal of making the world top 100 this year.
"She showed me what my weaknesses were out there," Stosur said. "I need to improve my forehand a bit, especially on the run, and try to serve a high percentage -- and well -- the whole match. My serve just dropped off a bit and those good players show that up."

Her performance was the one bright spot in a bleak day for Australian tennis, on which Evie Dominikovic and Nicole Pratt joined defending champion Lleyton Hewitt in crashing out in the first round. "It's not really our day today. Today's been a real shocker," Dominikovic, ranked 120th admitted after her 6-0 6-2 caning at the hands of 16th seed Vera Zvonareva. "It was probably one of my worst matches ever. I played terrible, really bad. It's one to forget, hopefully. Pretty much everything fell apart. It was just a disaster of a day. I thought I had a good shot against her but the nerves took over and my feet wouldn't move. It's not a very good feeling at all to lose that easily when you feel confident and pretty good playing."

Pratt is considering going back to the Challenger circuit after continuing her eight-match losing streak by throwing away a one set lead to lose 6-4 4-6 4-6 loss to Canadian veteran Maureen Drake, ranked 126th. Pratt, whose ranking has slipped to 75th after almost three months without a win, said stepping down a rank would help her regain her confidence. "There's nothing that I'm doing wrong in training, I'm working really hard, and physically I'm fine -- I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been," Pratt, 30, said. "It's just getting confidence by winning matches. I might have to play the smaller events just to get matches under my belt -- at least throw one or two challengers in to get the confidence back.
"I've never had a string of first round losses in a row before, so it's important to take a break and reassess."

TS
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:42 AM
I saw the closing stages of the Evie match (taped it on Foxtel) and boy did she just get stomped. Her forehand looked OK, but her serve went to pieces and her backhand was atrocious...Vera played solid, powerful tennis as usual. Evie had no answers, but she definitely played a very bad match and is a much better player than that.

Interesting comments from Nicole...maybe playing a $50K or $75K would be better for her? Nicole always seems to enter high tier events so I guess maybe it is better for her to play the smaller ones (not that there are many Tier 4 and 5 hardcourt events!).

As for Sam...she played a very good match and despite some hiccups with her groundies toward the end, she should be proud of her efforts :)

Mattographer
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Yeah, she should play $50K Lexington and $50K Bronx Challenger would help her coincidence back.

louloubelle
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Sam's serve is world class so hopefully she can really make it into a weapon. The action is natural and has a natural kick for safety.
But Davenport really exposed her forehand (very western and wristy) and had her swiping at the ball at times. I'm glad Sam has noted this. Her backhand has picked up tho!

Haven't seen Nicole but I hazard a guess that she's flat. Her game takes up so much energy that it must be hard to play and win like this, day in, day out.

Vicky88
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Actually I admire Pratt for being able to admit that she has got a problem and to have what she hopes is a solution for it. Many of the players would just be in denial and refuse to step back to a Challenger. Hopefully she can do well in a couple of Challengers and get some confidence back by the US Open. Luckily she doesn't have much to defend for the rest of the year.

Sam, I think it is just going to take a lucky draw and before we know it she will be top 100.

Didn't see Evie's match, but the score said it all. Once again we need to keep in mind she did play someone who is really playing well at the moment.

Alicia, well done girl on getting past Safina. Keeping eveything crossed that we see you do as well in round 2.

Rising Sun
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:19 PM
I really don't think Pratt should go back to Challengers, she should play lower Tier events. However since there are no lower Tier American hardcourt events coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if we see her enter a couple of the $50K events.

As for Dominikovic, I didn't like the comment, "It's one to forget." It's losses like these that will motivate her to do better in the future and learn from past mistakes... :angel: