PDA

View Full Version : Don't tell me it's true!

LindsayRulez
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:29 AM
I was just watching today's Wimbledon highlights and this one woman (a no-namer, not too savvy on tennis) said that Lindsay Davenport was contemplating surgery for her foot! Has anybody else heard anything of this sort...has Lindsay said anything about it in her interviews.

Even though she had a close match today, she didn't play that poorly. I saw the last 2 games, in which she lost maybe two points, and some highlights of the match. She was striking the ball well, but not moving well, and didn't look very happy even though she won the match. I don't think she expected her first round match to be so tough. I also do not think she should be playing doubles if her foot hurts so much.

I dunno, I just hope things come together. A few months ago she was doing so well and was very happy...I want to see that again :sad:

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:58 AM
From a Sun Sentinel column by Charles Bricker a couple of days ago:

"When Lindsay Davenport came down with a cold and still almost beat Silvia Farina Elia at Eastbourne, it said a lot about the quality of her grass-court game. Davenport was 23-3 in her past 26 grass-court matches going into the second round of that tournament and, unfortunately, it was her only grass court singles match going into Wimbledon. But she draws a British wild card in the first round this week, which is an almost certain victory. ...

Of much more concern is the nerve problem in the middle toe of her left foot, which was under control at Eastbourne but which, doctors say, could flare up any time. Her hope is to keep it calm until after the U.S. Open, and then have surgery. At 27 and after 10 years on the WTA tour, her body is suffering multiple breakdowns for the first time. ..."

No idea whether it is reliable though.

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:01 AM
More comprehensive article with quotes from Lindsay:

Gritty Davenport is set for England and Acura

By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 19, 2003

CARLSBAD – Step across a tennis court, then stroke, step again, stroke again. Normally a comfortable enough exercise.

But not for Lindsay Davenport, who is aware that her every step could cause her the most severe sort of discomfort that, once she experiences it, will not go away.

Yet Davenport presses on, as she was doing on a grass court at La Costa Resort and Spa earlier this month, preparing for Wimbledon and trusting that her left foot remains free of the pain that caused her to retire during the second set of a French Open match against Conchita Martinez.

Between the third and fourth toes in this foot is a nerve that can become inflamed.

"It can be fine for an hour; it can be fine for 30 minutes," said the Southern Californian. At Roland Garros, however, it was not fine.

"A very sharp pain goes through the nerve," Davenport said. "It's almost like a shocking pain. You never know when it is going to come, and when it comes, it doesn't go away."

After leaving Paris, Davenport presented herself at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles, where she was given a cortisone injection and had the shoes for her left foot fitted with orthotics. Relief resulted, she said. In time, she is aware she is going to have to submit her foot to surgery, but her hope is that she can postpone it until September, or after the U.S. Open.

Physicians have advised her, she said, that the Angels' Troy Glaus experienced the same problem and was able to get through the season by receiving cortisone injections.

"I flew home from Paris on a Monday," Davenport said, "and the doctors had me back on the court on a Thursday afternoon. Basically, they said, 'This is what you have and this is how we treat it.' It can't really get worse; it can't really get better. So it was kind of like, 'You should go and try it.'*"

Competing at Wimbledon, that is. Thus her presence at La Costa, where she will be returning to play in an Acura Classic scheduled there July 26-Aug. 3. Davenport, Wimbledon's 1999 champion, was not able to participate at the All England Club in 2002, her season having been abbreviated by surgery to her right knee.

Yesterday, Davenport had no problems with her foot at a tournament in Eastbourne, England – but had trouble with Italy's Silvia Farina Elia. Davenport was upset 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3). "It wasn't a nice way to play tennis because win or lose you don't feel like you've hit the ball well," Davenport said of the windy conditions. "But I fought hard to come back and had some chances, but she came up with some good serves."

Although she is Wimbledon's No. 5 seed, her game still is not as sharp as it was before her surgery in January 2002, in Davenport's thinking.

"It's been tough," she admitted at La Costa. "It would be nice to get all the way back to where I was before I was out for eight months. I've come back a long way, but I feel I can play better and more consistently.

"I feel I started to play really well on the clay; I was really doing well the things I need to do, which was encouraging. But in Paris, I was dealing with the foot."

Davenport is a bride, having been married in Hawaii to John Leach. In addition to a new husband, she has a new coach, Adam Peterson. "But I think my game is definitely where my game is going to be," she said. "I have what I have. So we're going with that."

On a foot that on any step could be a source of anguish.

moby
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:57 AM
yep she'll be undergoing surgery to deaden that nerve. but i think she said that she hopes to put off the surgery until the season's over

Lindsayfan
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:59 AM
no pls an other surgery :sad:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Well, that's depressing.

lindsay's body is really betraying her .... i wonder how much longer she'll stick it out...

bis2806
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:19 AM
:sad::sad::sad: noo lindsayyyy........

LindsayRulez
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:06 AM
So if she waits until after the season (or even until after the US Open) and has her surgery, will she be ready for the 2004 season? I'm not familiar with this kind of injury and do not know how much time is necessary for recuperation. I just do not want to see Lindsay's game hindered by another injury, and I sure don't want her to retire from the game because of it. I don't know what I would do if Lindsay retired already.