PDA

View Full Version : Jelena on court 13!!!

Norma2
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:27 AM
the no. 11 seed jelena dokic is on court 13. She has an excellent record at Wimbledon, reaching the semis and the best they can do is put her on court 13. Not to mention her opponent is british!!!!

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Not only is she British, she's been writing articles on the bbc's website.
I thought this match would be played on a feature court.

baleineau
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:42 AM
:rolleyes: court 13 is not your average outside court. there is seating for some 200-250 people I think.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Is 200 a big crowd at Wimbledon? Do they televise court 13 matches?

I don't know what's going on there, but I saw a Thursday qualifier at the U.S. Open that had over 100 people. I didn't even know who was playing.

baleineau
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:55 AM
i think it is wimbledon's 4th or 5th biggest court. smaller than Court 2, similar to court 18.

yes, they do televise from there. it's often where they put the Brits

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:59 AM
If they televise it, that's the important aspect. Moreso than a few hundred seats.

I can't figure out why Jelena is not a big draw. I've never understood it.

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Frankly, I've been wondering about the WB officials this year.

The woman whose been in the last three finals (winning TWO) was placed on Court 2 day one, when she should have been Center Court (despite being #4 seed, and Clijsters #2 seed, Venus' history at the event should have spoken for itself) or Court 1 (has a better history then Davenport...and has beaten Lindsay in her last two trips to London).

And now Dokic on Court 13.

Baffling.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Not only has Venus won 20 out of 21 matches at this tournament, losing only to Serena, she was playing what they keep calling a "hottie".

So the Venus match on court 2 really made no sense.

raquel
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Well look who is on Centre and Court 1 - Serena, Jennifer and Justine. I don't think Dokic is big enough to take one of their places on those courts, even against a Brit.

raquel
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Is 200 a big crowd at Wimbledon? Do they televise court 13 matches?

I don't know what's going on there, but I saw a Thursday qualifier at the U.S. Open that had over 100 people. I didn't even know who was playing.
I have also seen main draw matches at the US Open on Arthur Ashe court that have had just over 100 people.

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Well look who is on Centre and Court 1 - Serena, Jennifer and Justine. I don't think Dokic is big enough to take one of their places on those courts, even against a Brit.

Well, then put her on Court 2! Jennifer and Dokic's history at Wimbledon is probably very similar. Both had the biggest wins of their careers here (Jen over Navratilova; Dokic over Hingis) and the best result is Semi Final.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:12 AM
I am a big Elena D. fan.
But I am surprised that Elena is on court 2 tomorrow and this match is on 13.

Ryan
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Wow people. Records shouldnt, and DONT dictate where matches are put 100% of the time. Jelena has played like shit all year, so why bother wasting show-court space when she'll probably bomb anyway.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:34 AM
She should be put on courts from 4-8

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:36 AM
But if Jelena loses, this is a big day for British women's tennis.
That's why it is a show court match.

stephano hair
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:22 AM
ah... yeh jelena has played some bad tennis this year, i must admit, but her looks and wimbledon record really shuld've put her on one of the better courts! and i agree that venus shuldn't have been put on court 2-maybe one of the outer courts such as 15 or 16 would've done her some justice... and maybe she got put on that court coz the british crowd dont like her that much...not really surprising...

pircy
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:24 AM
ESPN said they will be showing her match tomorrow.

oddkayla
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:36 AM
So now you people want courts to be assigned by how people look? Pathetic! These people are athletes! It does not matter what court Dokic or anyone else is put on, at some point most top players will be assigned court 2 or whichever. They cant all play in center court all the time.

BasicTennis
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Jelena definetely would feel bad about this....remember one time when she complained that she's the defending champ and why have they given the center court to Navratilova instead.

This shoudl affect her performance and if she doesn't react to this challenge positively, then she'll go out in the first round.:o

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
court 13 is one of the courts with camera's. at least her court has camera's. would you rather her on a court with no camera's? at least she will have a chance of being televised rather than being on one of the other courts without camera's so she has no chance.

Robbie.
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Well, then put her on Court 2! Jennifer and Dokic's history at Wimbledon is probably very similar. Both had the biggest wins of their careers here (Jen over Navratilova; Dokic over Hingis) and the best result is Semi Final.

Jenn may have a similar record to Jelena at wimby (even then Jenn has reached 2 semifinals to Jelenas 1) but that is where the similarity ends. Jenn is a 3 time GS Champ, thats right she has won as many GS as Jelena has made GS quarterfinals. She is a former world #1. And I seriously dispute that beating Martina N on the downside of her career was her biggest career win. What about beating Hingis for her first GS? Or downing Steffi for Olympic Gold? Jenn and Jelena are incomparable. Jenn deserves more respect. Period.

vutt
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Jelena definetely would feel bad about this....remember one time when she complained that she's the defending champ and why have they given the center court to Navratilova instead.

You are wrong. She wasn't defending champ that time. :angel:

Anyway court 13 is show court and televised to so please stop whining...

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:25 AM
They've put them on court 13 so they can broadcast the match from 12:00pm-1pm.. then they will concetrate on centre and court 1 matches.

GoDominique
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:26 AM
For god's sake and for the 1000th time:

Court Capacity

Centre Court has 13,810 seats
No.1 Court has 11,429 seats
No.2 Court has 2,220 seats and has standing room for 770
No.3 Court has 800 seats
No.5 Court has 108 seats
Nos 6 & 7 Courts have 250 seats each.
No.11 Court has 224 seats.
No.13 Court has two temporary stands seating 1,541
No.14 to No. 17 Courts have 318 seats each
No.18 Court has 782 seats
No.19 Court has two temporary stands seating 306.

Why don't you checkh the facts before talking crap ??? :rolleyes:

Besides she hasn't done ANYTHING this season to deserve a show-court match, IMO she should play her match in Roehampton. But as she's playing a Brit, I think Court No. 13 is fine.

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Jenn may have a similar record to Jelena at wimby (even then Jenn has reached 2 semifinals to Jelenas 1) but that is where the similarity ends. Jenn is a 3 time GS Champ, thats right she has won as many GS as Jelena has made GS quarterfinals. She is a former world #1. And I seriously dispute that beating Martina N on the downside of her career was her biggest career win. What about beating Hingis for her first GS? Or downing Steffi for Olympic Gold? Jenn and Jelena are incomparable. Jenn deserves more respect. Period.

Yup...I agree that's where the similarity ends. I hope I didn't give the impression that's NOT where it ended.

As for Jen's biggest win, Martina Navratilova HAS to be up there. Wasn't Martina the defending champ? Does it matter? 9 times the winner, and she beat her! That's HUGE! (I'd put Steffi at the Olympics 2nd, and Seles at the 01 Aussie 3rd--I find that match bigger then the Hingis final. The Hingis final would be #4--just my opinion though)

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:30 AM
For god's sake and for the 1000th time:

Court Capacity

Centre Court has 13,810 seats
No.1 Court has 11,429 seats
No.2 Court has 2,220 seats and has standing room for 770
No.3 Court has 800 seats
No.5 Court has 108 seats
Nos 6 & 7 Courts have 250 seats each.
No.11 Court has 224 seats.
No.13 Court has two temporary stands seating 1,541
No.14 to No. 17 Courts have 318 seats each
No.18 Court has 782 seats
No.19 Court has two temporary stands seating 306.

Why don't you checkh the facts before talking crap ??? :rolleyes:

Besides she hasn't done ANYTHING this season to deserve a show-court match, IMO she should play her match in Roehampton. But as she's playing a Brit, I think Court No. 13 is fine.

boy, that anca barna sure burned it up against maleeva, just like you said!

GoDominique
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:33 AM
boy, that anca barna sure burned it up against maleeva, just like you said!
I don't think that belongs in here. :p :o

To be honest, I would have been surprised if Anca had won that match. But I was shocked/angry/furious/disappointed/sad about this very poor score. Shame on you Anca !!! :mad:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:37 AM
I don't think that belongs in here. :p :o

To be honest, I would have been surprised if Anca had won that match. But I was shocked/angry/furious/disappointed/sad about this very poor score. Shame on you Anca !!! :mad:

well, i couldn't find the thread. so you needed to be tracked down!

Glenn
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Oh please, Jelena can't provide quality matches, why would they put her on one of the show courts, you think they're not aware of her latest results?

~|Naomi|~
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:44 AM
WHere did you expect it to be scheduled?? Centre, 1, 2 - I don't think so not when you look at the players scheduled on those courts.

caramel
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Court 13? Letīs hope itīs no bad omen since 13 isnīt a lucky number. ;)

Curtis F
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Jelly to the quarterfinals! :bounce:

-Sonic-
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:36 PM
In Eastbourne in her losing doubles match she was making her psycho sneeze noise after any player hit the ball, not just herself.... puzzled the crap outta me.

They've prob put her on 13 cos she's contagious with a mega cold what with those sneezes.