PDA

View Full Version : Watching Injuries - Lindsay, Justine & Venus

DannerCal
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:07 PM
Lindsay did not look good today. At times she appeared to be tranferring her weight, (so it looked like she was limping).
I really don't think she should have entered doubles, as she has been told to limit the time on her foot, (by her doc).

Venus: Looked fine to me today. She was hitting well. She was also screaming with every hit. I had to adust my T.V to make sure that Monica was no where in sight :). Venus said that she has to just make sure she does not over do it in practice, but other than that - she seems fine.

Justine: I guess we will find out on Tuesday just how bad Justine's hand injury really is. I know that sometimes an injury helps a player to actually focus better - and end points sooner. Maybe she will venture to net more to try and finish points faster.

Any thoughts? :cool:

RayRob
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:11 PM
Lindsay says she's fine - I beleive her ;)

I'm sure Venus has fully recovered - apparently she played great today, unfortunately I blinked!

Like you say, with Justine we will see tomorrow - I hope she's OK. But it is her left hand is it not? :confused: If it is then she should be OK.

-Rachel :wavey:

DannerCal
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:16 PM
It is her left - tossing hand, so that is why I don't think it is as big of a deal. She also has a one handed back hand, so......
I think it may be more psychological when you have an injury as well, as some will be more tentative.

RayRob
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:19 PM
I guess it depends how much she uses her fingers to spin the ball on the trow up - she won't have that grip on the ball. However she can adapt to a different throw-up and like you say, single handed FH and BH :)

I hope she does well :bounce:

alexusjonesfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM
It is her left - tossing hand, so that is why I don't think it is as big of a deal. She also has a one handed back hand, so......
I think it may be more psychological when you have an injury as well, as some will be more tentative.

King Lindsay mentioned this a while ago and I think he's got a point.
I don't think her injury has much to do with her technique. At worst, it would adversely affect her toss, but I think what's more serious is that such an injury can make it difficult to focus because for every shot she makes, she inadvertantly moves the fingers in her left hand (you've seen it in action shots, players with stretched and twisted left hands when they're serving, hitting a forehand etc. etc.) So the bursts of pain (there are a lot of nerves in the fingers) accompanying each shot she hit would be much more a nuisance to her concentration rather than something which drastically changed the way she played.
In that way, I think her injury's a bit like Lindsay's, during a match it could flare up or just be a continual annoyance, although I think Lindsay's is much worse because she could potentially put a large chunk of her body weight on that fluid-filled toe if she was in an awkward position :eek:

Miss Thang
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:31 PM
Did y'all see the picture somebody posted of Miss Justine's hands? It was not pretty. Child her hands looked all brittle. I'm not trying to "hate". I'm just giving an opinion.

RayRob
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:33 PM
Good point caelestia, so maybe the trainer will give her anti inflamitries or some kind of pain killer/injection to damped the pain enough for a match. maybe :confused:

alexusjonesfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:36 PM
Good point caelestia, so maybe the trainer will give her anti inflamitries or some kind of pain killer/injection to damped the pain enough for a match. maybe :confused:

yeah, the men have been doing it for a while now (I think Juan-Carlos had the record for the most injections in a grand slam, last year at the FO!). I'm no doctor, but I guess that would be a good solution...better than putting her fingers in a splint!

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Lindsay looked odd. At times I thought she was limping. Although, it may just be her confidence. I dunno. ESPN showed so little today, it's hard to say.

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:10 AM
I pray Justine will be fine and that she makes it to the semi with Serena...I cant wait till Serena gets her hand on her neck...:devil: