PDA

View Full Version : why does womens tennis get way LESS coverage cf men?

tyk101
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:02 PM
For example, the programme: "Today at Wimbledon" focussed on mens tennis for 50 minutes and devoted 10 minutes to the womens side of things. Perhaps the mens was more interesting today, but surely the women deserve a bit more than 10 minutes?! Also, the matches they showed today were predominantly the mens singles and hardly any of the womens matches!

Hendouble
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:20 PM
Men's side: no. 1 seed and defending champion Hewitt is eliminated by an unheralded Croatian qualifier playing his first ever Grand Slam match, home favourite Rusedski and American young gun Roddick each win to set up a rematch from last year, Srichaphan scrapes through in tough five-setter, British wildcard Childs pulls out victory from two sets to one down.

Women's side: Clijsters hands out a 32-minute double-bagel drubbing, Venus and Hantuchova stroll through soporific first-round cakewalks, British wildcards predictably choke away opportunities and lose in disappointing fashion.

That answer your question? In the first week of a Slam, the men's side is always going to be far better than the women's and deserves more coverage. It's in the second week that things arguably switch round, although I'm hoping for a good, dramatic last few rounds from both the men's and women's events this year. We had neither last year.

Dava
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:37 PM
Its to do with the British mentality, UK is probably the only country in the world where the general public still prefer mens tennis to womens tennis, also because we have better mens players then women players.

When our girls maybe one day get to the top of the game it will all chance. Until then God bless Wimbledon interactive.

Bezz
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:03 AM
I think whilst tim and greg are in the tourney we always get an unfair bias towards the mens game. We have to watch all there matches then we have to watch the matches of their potential 2nd,3rd,4th , quaters and semi's opponents. But by the 2nd week the balance is restored and we get good womens tennis matches and not just serving competitions. I think the longest rally at one point in gregs match was 6 strokes!!, boring boring boring.

controlfreak
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Its to do with the British mentality, UK is probably the only country in the world where the general public still prefer mens tennis to womens tennis, also because we have better mens players then women players.

It's shocking - they interviewed some British passers-by at Wimbledon and they had never even heard of Lucie Ahl or Anne Keothavong. I can't believe these people are in there living it up while the rest of us rot on the streets outside. I think they should start allocating tickets based on a quiz that tests your knowledge of tennis and how much of a real fan you are. They should at least ask you to name 10 male and 10 female players before you're allowed in - that would put paid to all these rich fools who are just there for the big occasion and some strawberries and cream and Pimms.

RayRob
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:28 AM
It's shocking - they interviewed some British passers-by at Wimbledon and they had never even heard of Lucie Ahl or Anne Keothavong. I can't believe these people are in there living it up while the rest of us rot on the streets outside. I think they should start allocating tickets based on a quiz that tests your knowledge of tennis and how much of a real fan you are. They should at least ask you to name 10 male and 10 female players before you're allowed in - that would put paid to all these rich fools who are just there for the big occasion and some strawberries and cream and Pimms.

I agree with you, control freak! I mean come-on........who's Lucie Ahl? She did at least make 2nd rnd @ Wimby once, and a lot was made of it in the press! Mind, did you see the types they interviewed? Rich folk and your everyday OAP's - not exactly the avid tennis fan if you ask me :fiery:

-Rachel :wavey:

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:30 AM
I agree we should right to the LTA and let them know who the real tennis fans are, not some boozers with a strawberry fetish!

tyk101
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:38 AM

......I totally agree, generally the British tennis knowledge is pretty weak, dun even know why they're watchin it!!