PDA

View Full Version : Might be Time for Majoli to Give it Up

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
she just lost 3 and 0 to rubin, which is actually better than i thought she would do. but Iva, it's all gone to hell now. she has barely done ANYTHING this year and she's had some positively atrocious losses. might be time to think about hanging 'em up. down to #68, and that will drop still lower after this latest loss.

selesrules
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:07 PM
You are overreacting.

First of all, just last year, Majoli won a Tier 1.

Second of all, Majoli played Rubin who is one of the best grass court players right now, and grass is Majoli's worst surface.

Sure her results have been disappointing, but she's still very young and she can turn it around.

Vincent
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:08 PM
Poor Iva, another disappointing result so far.:(
She should try her best until she retires.

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM
You are overreacting.

Second of all, Majoli played Rubin who is one of the best grass court players right now, and grass is Majoli's worst surface.

Sure her results have been disappointing, but she's still very young and she can turn it around.

no, i'm not overreacting, selesrules. it's over.

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:30 PM
iva is a terrible 7-15 on the season to date. after wimbledon, her ranking will no doubt drop out of the top 80 or so, leaving her unable to get DA into the summer hardcourts, forcing her to qualify if she wants in. Plus, she has 3r USO points off. she turns 26 in august.

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
mary pierce may want to follow her out the door.

Curtis F
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:47 PM
Iva and Mary: Phenoms turned Grand Slam Champions turned Journeywomen. I'm striving to make as much money in my career as Iva and Mary. :)

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
i think maybe meilen tu should follow iva and mary's lead....

Tratree
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
C'mon KL, Meilen Tu actually wins a match here and there ;)

Frank_Rulez
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
how about a farewell tour like the one
Michael Chang has.......:)

ktwtennis
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I'm an Iva fan, and I'm afraid that if she doesn't get it together soon, then it's time to go...

Brandon85
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:15 AM
she needs to get in better shape...

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:19 AM
She's just so inconsistent. I fail to understand how or why players don't get in the best shape possible. You have players like Iva-Mary and others to aren't in great shape. Take a page from Conchita, who seems to have gotten into shape.

Sam L
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Well it depends on what Iva wants. If she thinks she's still going to win GS and if that's what she's playing for, maybe she should give it up. Cause those days are over.

But if she's happy staying in the top 100 and enjoying tennis and picking up a few tournament wins and a few upset wins here and there, sure she might want to stick around.

The other question of course you have to ask (and this goes for all who might be retiring), what will you do when you retire? Maybe she hasn't figured that out yet.

Dokicfan17
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Iva's tier 1 title last year was soooooo luck, she didn't do anythin else for the rest fof the year...did she even win any matches this year?

I agree, I thought Majoli did better than i thought against rubin, I was thinkin a double bagel but hey three games, shes a hero lol

*JR*
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:34 AM
mary pierce may want to follow her out the door.
Hate to say it, but Babsi's kareer is kaput! :sad:

SM
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM
i think iva should take a break and reassess her situation...she might come back strong after a break

SM
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:46 AM
btw i still think she has it in her...i saw her but cervanova at adidas quallies and technically and physically her game is still there...

propi
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Iva has always done bad on grass

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:07 AM
she just almost lost today, which is actually better than i thought she would do. but Lindsay, it's all gone to hell now. she has barely done ANYTHING this year and she's had some positively atrocious losses. might be time to think about hanging 'em up. Almost 30, and she is only getting older.

:p

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:11 AM
You are overreacting.

I am shocked at this from you since you have proclaimed that Venus is over...Venus...the same woman that was in a grand slam final just six months ago and is number 4 in the world... :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:39 AM
is this topic refering to the alcohol or her tennis? lol.

Iva still has game she is inconsistant and needs to get in 100% shape.

that is one thing I can say about the ATP tour those guys work their asses and are 100% fit. Alot of the WTA tour women just don't do it like the ATP tour does. When it comes to getting in great shape.

Miranda
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:39 AM
jennifer can climb back from over 100 to no.1 and won 3 slams and goran, ranked 125 and won the wimbledon, its still early to count Iva out ;)

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
she just almost lost today, which is actually better than i thought she would do. but Lindsay, it's all gone to hell now. she has barely done ANYTHING this year and she's had some positively atrocious losses. might be time to think about hanging 'em up. Almost 30, and she is only getting older.

:p

would you care to do another parody of my post? maybe the third time you can come up with something clever. hope springs eternal ....

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Well it depends on what Iva wants. If she thinks she's still going to win GS and if that's what she's playing for, maybe she should give it up. Cause those days are over.

But if she's happy staying in the top 100 and enjoying tennis and picking up a few tournament wins and a few upset wins here and there, sure she might want to stick around.

The other question of course you have to ask (and this goes for all who might be retiring), what will you do when you retire? Maybe she hasn't figured that out yet.

that is quite true. however, if she keeps going like she is, she won't be in the top 100 for much longer.

i'm curious and too lazy to look. how's majoli faring in doubles?

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Iva has always done bad on grass

she did make the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 1997.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Hate to say it, but Babsi's kareer is kaput! :sad:

barbara was looking really awful there for a while, but she picked up a couple wins on the clay courts so i'm not quite ready to hand her her coat and jacket.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:09 AM

LOL.

propi
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM
she did make the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 1997.
Yep, I should have added this too, except the year when she won RG......
ANyway the rest of the years she has lost so badly that is not strange of she loses agaisnt an in-form player as Rubin

switz
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:07 AM
a few months ago i remember their was a thread asking a number of questions and one of them was whether farina-elia should hang it up because she had a bad start to the season. the majority said that she was too old and people new how to play her and that she would drop from the top 50 by the end of the year etc etc, and yet now she has been 12-3 or something like that since strasbourg (including a win over your favourite). i think this goes to show that players can turn the corner at any moment and start to play well again. not to blow my own trumpet but i remember that i said silvia would probably win her third straight strasbourg title and regain her form in the process.

with majoli it is slightly different but i put her in the patty category, where she still has the game, but it only appears every now and then (although patty is better IMO and more consistant - god i never thought i would say that about patty!). if she is happy to stay on tour and have some big results sporadically like charleston then that is her perogative. she has lost a lot of 3 setters this year i think. she probably needs a new coach or something tough.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:53 AM
a few months ago i remember their was a thread asking a number of questions and one of them was whether farina-elia should hang it up because she had a bad start to the season. the majority said that she was too old and people new how to play her and that she would drop from the top 50 by the end of the year etc etc, and yet now she has been 12-3 or something like that since strasbourg (including a win over your favourite). i think this goes to show that players can turn the corner at any moment and start to play well again. not to blow my own trumpet but i remember that i said silvia would probably win her third straight strasbourg title and regain her form in the process.

with majoli it is slightly different but i put her in the patty category, where she still has the game, but it only appears every now and then (although patty is better IMO and more consistant - god i never thought i would say that about patty!). if she is happy to stay on tour and have some big results sporadically like charleston then that is her perogative. she has lost a lot of 3 setters this year i think. she probably needs a new coach or something tough.

well, anyone saying that about farina elia obviously isn't too bright. even at her worst moments this year, silvia has maintained top 30 standing. that will still get you into any tournament in the world.

it's different with majoli since her ranking is rapidly sliding back to challenger status.

and you know, she has been having some AWFULLY sporadic big results. she's had one good tournament in six years. ;)

if iva can still play well enough to keep her ranking in the top 100, top 80, i don't have a problem. but she's almost about to go the way of karina habsudova and who really wants to see her kick around the outskirts of the top 100 for a few years?

Curtis F
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:16 PM

AND...Meilen's won a title! :D

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:49 PM
would you care to do another parody of my post? maybe the third time you can come up with something clever. hope springs eternal ....

I am just saying that the same can be said about Lindsay... :eek:

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM
I am just saying that the same can be said about Lindsay... :eek:

yeah, you're right. she's really doing as bad as pierce, tu, and majoli combined. astute observation, einstein.

Curtis F
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM
yeah, you're right. she's really doing as bad as pierce, tu, and majoli combined. astute observation, einstein.

Hey I know you're not being malicious but it's not fair to put Meilen in that group. For her height and abilities, she's done really well. Not Amanda Coetzer well but all things considered she has nothing to be ashamed of. If Kimiko was still playing and on the decline like Iva and Mary, then yeah I'd put her in your "give it up" group.

King Lindsay
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Hey I know you're not being malicious but it's not fair to put Meilen in that group. For her height and abilities, she's done really well. Not Amanda Coetzer well but all things considered she has nothing to be ashamed of. If Kimiko was still playing and on the decline like Iva and Mary, then yeah I'd put her in your "give it up" group.

yes, i know, but things hae really gone south for meilen. she's out of the top 100 now, and she will fall much further after exiting wimbledon in the qualies. of course, maybe she'll be able to get things back together, but it looks like she'll have to hit the challenger circuit for now.

switz
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM
well, anyone saying that about farina elia obviously isn't too bright. even at her worst moments this year, silvia has maintained top 30 standing. that will still get you into any tournament in the world.

it's different with majoli since her ranking is rapidly sliding back to challenger status.

well not really. farina had lost a lot of matches in a row until rome and the supposition was that she was going to go out early in strasbourg and the french and hence be out of the top 50. also remember that farina-elia fell out of the top 100 only a few years ago and cameback, and she is older and probably less talented than iva. i am not doubting that iva's play is atrocious, but perhaps you should also remember that iva was in the top 30 or there abouts until she lost a lot of points after charleston, so aren't you being a little too quick to pull the plug??