PDA

View Full Version : Sam Stosur gives Lindsay a fright.

xan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Australian Samantha Stosur gave Lindsay Davenport a surprisingly hard first round fight, taking the match to a tight 7-6(3) 7-5 first round finish, which Lindsay scraped through.

Samantha seems an even bigger server than fellow Aussie Alicia Molik, serving an average First Serve of 109 mph and a top serve of 117 mph! In the first set Sam won 83% of points on 1st serve (but only 22% on 2nd serve.

Unlucky loss for Sam....

Samantha is teaming up with Alicia Molik for doubles, so good luck to the girls.

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:34 PM
well i expected this from sam especially with the way lindsay has been playing. same was up 3-1 in the first set and in the second set she was up 5-4 and serving for the set so she had some chances. she does have a big serve but her average first serve dropped a bit in the 2nd set as she lost consistency. in the first set it was more like 112 mph or 113 mph.

i think it may be a bit early to say that she has a bigger serve than alicia. at the moment she does but when alicia was sam's age she also had a serve that big but has slowed it down a bit.

Vincent
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Her serve is awesome, the fastest serve:o

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
and thanks for informing me that sam and alicia have teamed up. they will be an awesome team. bith have great serves and are good at the net.

Mattographer
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:37 PM
I don't suprised... I knew Samantha's serve is faster.

bis2806
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
omg... stosur really gave me a fright too!!!!! that girl's serves are constantly above 100 mph..... and lindsay still looked really unhappy after she won... i hope lindsay gets better... go linds!!!

TS
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:44 PM
Sam played a smart match...and definitely had her chances!

We'll be seeing more of her in the future, she is only 19 :)

Lindsayfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:56 PM
lindsay played really bad,she had all reasons to be unhappy,she's miles far from her best condition :(

Mattographer
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Stop make up an excuses

Lindsayfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM
no excuses alexsydney,Lindsay played bad and isnt in form.u cant deny it.

raquel
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Lindsay won this match on reputation alone because in terms of rallies it was even. Lindsay just looked like she didn't really care too much out there, pretty lacklustre performance, but I would like to see her prove a few people wrong and have a good run here.

BigB08822
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Lindsay will be out next round if she plays like that again.

RayRob
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:58 PM
I'm a Lindsay fan and I don't think she played too bad at all during the rallies - Stosur just played amazing. I was impressed by her and what stuck in my mind was her match opening service ace down the center line at 117mph :eek: That kind of serve [albeit -9mph] is usually a Davenport trademark.

Someone who can serve at that speed consistantly is bound to trouble Lindsay because she is not used to being put on her back foot from the first hit. Congratulations to Samantha for playing a great match!

I think by the last 3 service games of Stosur's, Lindsay had really got into a return rythem. I don't think we have to worry too much for Lindsay - let's just say she's had a great "warm-up" match.

Well Done again to Stosur - I think whatever happens I will always remember this wild card from Australia. Never has an "under dog" impressed me so much!

:wavey:Rachel

Lindsayfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
lindsay wont go out at next round just cos she plays grande :p but yes she needs to improve her level in order to beat a solid top 15.

c'mon linds,u can do it ;)

Doc
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Pity I missed this match.

I wish had digital access.

Great play Samantha. Wish it had been rewarded!
Lindsay gets on my nerves. She always seems to be in a bad mood on court.

Hope Samantha and Alicia do well in doubles.

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:17 AM
RayRob, most of the second set stosur's first serve wasn't really working so i think davenport got into a rhythm because of that and by the time stosur's serve came back in the last game lindsay was iin the returning rhythm/groove.

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:56 AM
i know sam played well but watching that match i kept saying to myself what are you doing sam? in a lot of the rallies she just hit the ball back to davenport rather than making her move i noticed this especially on her backhand and when she got into rallies and hit the ball back to davenport, lindsay was always the first to go for the lines and angles. i hope sam can work on her backhand so she can turn it into a weapon because it is almost a weakness at the moment.

xin_hui
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:56 AM
i watched the match, and lindsay just played bad...she was getting down on herself and looked real annoyed and fustrated, like she wanted to get off the court

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:01 AM
maybe lindsay played badly because stosur didn't allow her to get any rhythm. maybe davenport didn't play her best but she didn't play that badly.

bis2806
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:08 AM
i didn't really understand what the interview meant... was she stating she was injured or careful coz she's afraid she would worsen or cause an injury?

Gowza
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:10 AM
which interview?