PDA

View Full Version : 19 Courts and only 7 opening matches will be Ladies singles

Curtis F
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
1. Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Daja Bedanova (CZE) v. Tatiana Poutchek (BLR)
Court 7 12.00 noon Start
Rita Grande (ITA) v. Patricia Wartusch (AUT)
Court 8 12.00 noon Start
Janette Husarova (SVK) v. Nathalie Dechy (FRA)[22]
Court 11 12.00 noon Start
Conchita Martinez Granados (ESP) v. Antonella Serra Zanetti (ITA)
Court 15 12.00 noon Start
Klara Koukalova (CZE) v. Denisa Chladkova (CZE)[30]
Court 17 12.00 noon Start
Cara Black (ZIM) v. Sandra Kleinova (CZE)
Court 18 12.00 noon Start
Ludmila Cervanova (SVK) v. Eva Fislova (SVK)

That's it. The WTA taking a backseat as usual to the ATP. :fiery:

Nikki
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:08 PM
Thats because the 1st day is really dedicated to the mens defending champion & Tuesday is dedicated to the womens defending champion, so more womens matches will be shown then.

Curtis F
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:36 PM
Thats because the 1st day is really dedicated to the mens defending champion & Tuesday is dedicated to the womens defending champion, so more womens matches will be shown then.

Thanks! I didn't know that. :o

Hurley
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:51 PM
Huh? An equal number of matches of each gender are shown on these days.

I don't understand the problem. Who cares which matches are on first? :confused:

fammmmedspin
Jun 24th, 2003, 12:50 AM
11/19 female ist matches on day 2 so it did even out.

Curtis F
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Huh? An equal number of matches of each gender are shown on these days.

I don't understand the problem. Who cares which matches are on first? :confused:

You're absolutely right Hurley but my thing is that in the Slams it never fails that when the guys go first (at the start of the day), it usually goes 5 sets and the women have to wait around...and we have to wait around to see them. And it's not like those 5 set matches are always engrossing either. They're basically matches that should've been closed out in 3 sets but went on too long because somebody choked.

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Why does it matter who leads the court? To me, I look at who is on the show courts more. It's noteworthy that on "Ladies' Day" only 1 of 3 Centre Court matches are women's matches...

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:26 PM
I mean, how did Ferrero get on Centre Court? He's not a fave for the title, and his opponent isn't British. Is Juan Carlos loved in Britain and I don't know about it?

I am just surprised he is on Centre Court over people like Jennifer Capriati (it is ladies' day) and Tim Henman (he is British).

Crazy Canuck
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
I mean, how did Ferrero get on Centre Court? He's not a fave for the title, and his opponent isn't British. Is Juan Carlos loved in Britain and I don't know about it?

I am just surprised he is on Centre Court over people like Jennifer Capriati (it is ladies' day) and Tim Henman (he is British).
Because it IS possible (though not likely) for him to come out of Wimbledon number one, and he just won Roland Garros.

Deal with it :p

Crazy Canuck
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Why aren't you asking why Kim was on Center, when she hasn't even won a slam? Or did you, in another thread?

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Rebecca - why are you stalking me? Anyway, I did talk about Venus' curious placement on Court in another thread...and the French Open that Ferrero won is a far cry from Wimbledon. I mean, should Muster have been on Centre Court all the time? Anyway, my other point you keep missing is that it is Ladies' Day. I think there should be 2 women's matches on Centre Court.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I don't really think it matters if a men's match or women's match is first but what I think is more relevant is that there are two big courts, and there are 4 mens and 2 womens matches on those courts, it was the same on day 1 and day 2 there were equal mens and womens matches on those courts. But I just think there should be equal every day.